• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica warranty (1 Viewer)

Sorry folks, but I sent my first series 7x30 SLC Swarovski into R.I with black spots on prism and they used my old lens and sent back a brand new binocular. It cost me $9.98 shipping. You can make all kind of excuses for lack of back up service.

Erm Yo Steve Dude

Could you sort of explain this a bit more?

I'm not trying to be awkward here (it comes naturally, so I don't need to try:))
but I am not sure what you are saying.

You got a brand new bin for $9.98 and you are complaining???
Or not?

Yours in confusion

Lee

Not to speak for Steve mind you, but I think he is saying that Swaro replaced (rebuilt?) his bins because the seal failed and air got to the silver on the prisms and were tarnished. No complaints. Please correct me if this isn't so.

That said, I don't see how this is analogous to this situation where the Leicas might have been used as a hammer.

Swaro's customer service may be the best, but I'm not convinced Leica owes a rebuild here.

OP, where art thou?

Last edited:
Lee, Not complaining.

Kevin, I have read of people sending in Swarovski binoculars that a dog has chewed up and they have replaced the binocular. I now notice that OP was on here last on 4-3-13, after some of the posts with questions asked and no reply, so there could be some info missing and it is sort of fishy.

Swaro's super liberal warranty policy helps to explain why their top bins are $300-400 more expensive typically than their LZN counterparts. Maybe, they've built an insurance policy into the price.

Leicas, currently, are usually had for the least of the big four.

Leica and Nikon both seem to struggle with marketing strategy.

Leica Geovid HD B 10x42 $2995
Swaro EL Range 10x42 $2999

Leica Ultravid HD 10x42 $2199
Swaro SLC HD 10x42 $2239

Leica Trinovid 10x42 $1499
Swaro SLCneu 10x42 $1299

Sorry Kevin, but your numbers are a little off. I didn't bother listing the SV's because Leica can't even play against that one. The reason Leica sucks hind tit against Swaro is due to the fact that Leica doesn't understand when you charge a premium for your product, consumers deserve premium service. Also, as you say, Leica's mkt dept is pretty much clueless, and who ever heard of charging a premium price without offering a lifetime transferable warranty? Are you kidding me? Leica doesn't deserve to mentioned in the same sentence with Swaro when it comes to CS, Marketing, and genuine concern for their customers, and even consistently going above and beyond the call of duty to take care of their customers even when the customer doesn't deserve it. All this in spite of the fact that Leica and Swaro's pricing is virtually the same.

Please explain JG, why the Leica HDs cannot be compared to Swaro's SVs.

Then, please address the price difference between Swaro SVs and their Nikon and Zeiss counterparts.

You have first hand knowledge of Leica's poor customer service?
I have first hand knowledge of Leica's extroadinary customer service.

Now, this is an international site and many of the things written here emanate from the UK. We're in the US. Might you be reciting things you've read?

Look, I'm trying hard not to be a Leica apologist but this is a very small universe we reside in here on BF Binoculars Forum and just a few examples carries weight.

Take the OPs contentions in this thread for example. To me it reads like BS.

Please explain JG, why the Leica HDs cannot be compared to Swaro's SVs.
Because Swaro makes the SLC HD to compete with the Ultravid HD's. You know the SV's feature a flat field with an unsurpassed view (and RB to some), and Leica doesn't offer anything like that. The SLC HD and Leica UV HD are closest competitors. The prices I quoted above prove your theory wrong.

Then, please address the price difference between Swaro SVs and their Nikon and Zeiss counterparts.

The subject is Leica vs Swaro

You have first hand knowledge of Leica's poor customer service?
I have first hand knowledge of Leica's extroadinary customer service.

That's the problem Kevin, it's a crap shoot with Leica. I can link you to other posts/threads that show it.

Now, this is an international site and many of the things written here emanate from the UK. We're in the US. Might you be reciting things you've read?

Look, I'm trying hard not to be a Leica apologist but this is a very small universe we reside in here on BF Binoculars Forum and just a few examples carries weight.

Take the OPs contentions in this thread for example. To me it reads like BS.
You can take it however you want to. I'm involved with Guide and Outfitters Programs with Leupold, Zeiss, Swaro, and very recently Vortex. I'm not involved with Leica for a reason. How do you explain that Leica is the only alpha with a pathetic non transferable warranty?

Lee, Not complaining.

Kevin, I have read of people sending in Swarovski binoculars that a dog has chewed up and they have replaced the binocular. I now notice that OP was on here last on 4-3-13, after some of the posts with questions asked and no reply, so there could be some info missing and it is sort of fishy.

Steve,

I was told about this by the owner of the binoculars and and the dog and I related it in a post here several years ago.

Actually they did not replace the binocular. The optics were undamaged. They replaced the chewed up eye cups and covering and sent it back to the owner with a large leather chew bone in the package wrapped in a ribbon for the Labrador Retriever in question.:eat:

They only charged postage, I believe.

Bob

Steve,

I was told about this by the owner of the binoculars and and the dog and I related it in a post here several years ago.

Actually they did not replace the binocular. The optics were undamaged. They replaced the chewed up eye cups and covering and sent it back to the owner with a large leather chew bone in the package wrapped in a ribbon for the Labrador Retriever in question.:eat:

They only charged postage, I believe.

Bob
Hi Bob, I feel bad, I remember now it was you that posted that.I thought that was funny, the part about sending the bone for the dog!:t:

Bob thanks for posting about this!

Last edited:
There is a nice blog about the Swarovski Service center in Cranston, Rhode Island.
I have had experience with the folks there, and they are very good to deal with.

I have tried to post a link, but can only post pics on this site.

Just google, "Julie zickefoose Swarovski", and go to BlogSpot.

Maybe somebody can post a usable link.

This is a Leica thread, and I have not had any experience with their service.
Jerry

I think that one reason to the difference in service between Leica Camera and Swarovski Optik is that binoculars are Swarros big thing, and for Leica it's the cameras.

Also, Leica was almost broke some years ago. With the up in camera sales the service for bino department will hopefully get better with time.

VOP,
I do not agree with your analysis. Swarovski Optics is only a small part of the big Tyrolyt-Swarovski company, it is only a few percent of that company. (In that sense it is comparable to Zeiss, since binocular production for Zeiss is important as a company flag, but it is only a small amount of the money earned by other Zeiss departments like medicine, microscopy, astronomy, military etc.) That does not mean that the company as a whole does not consider Swarovski Opics as a cherry on the company cake.
We were told at a meeting of the Binocular History Society by a Leica official that Leica indeed has two important legs to walk on : photographic equipment and sport optics and the popularity of one of them can lead to less attention for the other.
Gijs

Just had my Ultravids back from Leica Germany. I sent them back as after 9 years or so I had noticed some fogging on one of the internal lenses, meaning the sealing had been breached. I have to say they have come back like a brand new pair of binoculars. They've not only repaired the problem, but replaced a slightly chipped focussing wheel, given them a total cleaning (even under the eye cups) and replaced the rubber armouring as well. I am well pleased. I'd read about some of the problems people had had with Leica warranty service, so I was expecting some grief, but they have exceeded my expectations big time. Only slight niggle was that they never sent me any kind of acknowledgement of receipt of the bins, but hey ho.

Doing the right thing

I had a pair of Leica 10x32 Trinovid bought around 2001. I took them to CleySpy as the focusing wheel was sticking. As a result I now have a brand new pair of Leica Ultravid 10x32, as Leica stated my old pair were not repairable. I still can't believe my luck, and am thrilled that Leica have completely honoured their warranty. The guys at CleySpy were equally astonished. Pinch me.

. My friends godson took his brand-new Leica binocular to South America.
On a trip on a very large river the binocular bounced into the river for ever lost.
This is also about 2001.

Leica immediately air shipped a replacement completely free of charge.

I also have never had a problem with a a Leica product over several decades although I have not had many items.

I do appreciate however, that some people are experiencing problems as Leica fortunes go up and down.

Wish I had the same CS as a couple of the posters above. I've just received a quote for repair of the eyepieces on my Leica 8x42 BN's. The coating has started coming off but Leica say this due to scratching of the eyepieces - if that is the case they are microscopic scratches that can't be seen with the naked eye. They want to charge me 420+ Euros for the privilege.

Additionally they are offering a fast service for an extra 110 Euros or an express service for an extra 200 Euros even though they state that they are missing a spare part at present!!!!

They were bought in April 2003 and I thought they came with a lifetime guarantee.

The cost may be cheaper than a new pair of bins but its still money I don't have so it looks like I'm stuck with them.

My own experience only adds to list of dissatisfied Leica (or former) Leica owners that I know.

cheers
Gordon

PS. It was suggested above that a complainant should talk to Leica. That's all very well but I don't see much mileage in talking to someone over the phone in Germany - no facilities here in UK anymore. And, besides, if they've made up their mind it would be difficult to get them to change when your're not face to face with the item in front of you.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back