• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falcon, Middle East (1 Viewer)

Not a falcon, but a Buteo (buzzard species). Seems to be either Steppe (vulpinus Common) or Long-legged to me, at least on first glance.

I'd go with Harry on this.

Looks like either Steppe or Long-legged Buzzard.

The eye is brown, which I think rules out a rufus juvenile Booted, and the smaller head shape is better for buteo sp. Moreover, the bill seems too slim and has less yellow on it than one might expect for Booted.

I think juvenile Bonelli's should also be ruled out for similar reasons as Booted.

I imagine both Booted and Bonelli's are rare in Oman anyway.

The subtle straking on the head and on the breast, as well as the forewing pattern also suggests one of the Buzzard species.

It looks to have some white in the wing, suggesting Long-legged more than Steppe.

Shame we can't see the whole bird to give a definite ID.

Nice pic

Sean

I think that the darkish submoustacial streak may make this a Long-legged Buzzard.

And it looks very much like a bird on the fist.

In my opinion it is a Steppe...little bill, not aquila-like expression, it is a juvenile and a long-legged should show a much lighter eye!

Michele

This pic was taken on wild. But I have a strong feeling that this one is an escaped bird. I took this photo almost 10m away from the bird and was really bothered about it. It stayed there for almost 15min. But I was unlucky with my battery only took about 30 shots of it.

It is precisely a long-legged which is abundant in Turkey:) All of the plumage, pale eyes and the relatively big head fits very well.

Yes it is a Long-legged Buzzard an adult, because of head and bill shape, lore is long all suggest Long-legged.

Alsirhan

Can yuo post some pics were we can see some more details? I don't really get a rufinus feeling and also the coverts tips are dark for long legged...

but you all sound so sure!

Michele

PS this bird clearly is not an adult! pale eye, uniform coverts with no moult sign.

Last edited:
This pic was taken on wild. But I have a strong feeling that this one is an escaped bird. I took this photo almost 10m away from the bird and was really bothered about it. It stayed there for almost 15min. But I was unlucky with my battery only took about 30 shots of it.

If you have 30 photo's it would be useful if you could post more. An underwing photo would be useful.

John.

A photo of Long-legged taken a few days ago by me. It was certainly long-legged (seen flying). For comparison.

Attachments

• Buteo rufinus Polatlı 04.jpg
    Buteo rufinus Polatlı 04.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 74
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back