• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help for Kent list gaps (1 Viewer)

Bismarck Honeyeater

Barely known member
Hi Men of Kent & Kentish Men everywhere,

I have a reasonably good Kent list (due to extreme age rather than chasing much;)) but have got some strange gaps. I would appreciate any current information on where I might go to get some of the following species:

Crane
Dartford Warbler
Egyptian Goose
Great Grey Shrike
Hawfinch
Purple Sandpiper
Red-crested Pochard
Shag
Twite
Velvet Scoter

I don't think any of these are too sensitive (maybe Dartford Warbler?) though I think that some of these species may not be present this winter (GGS?, Twite?) I think I will try Deal Pier for Velvets and Hythe for Purp's, I assume high tide is best. What is the strategy for Hawfinches? Towards dusk at Bedgebury I imagine but where is the best viewing spot?

Any information gratefully received.

GH

There were three Purple Sandpipers at Hythe on Boxing day 1 on the Stade court rocks and 2 at the Imperial rocks, low tide I find is best.
I saw a Crane down on Romney Marsh in November from the Jurys gap road between Lydd and Camber dont know if its still in the area.
Hope that helps.
Nick
ps check out the Folkestone and Hythe Birds web site always good for local birds etc.

Last edited:
Hi GH,

The KOS website is a better place to ask I suspect ......

Crane - I've had odd ones in the Stour valley over the years so the best hope is to check the rare bird information services & hope one turns up
Dartford Warbler - less regular than previously - Dungeness peninsula has the best track record - but I've not seen one there for years
Egyptian Goose - pretty scarce - I've only had a handful of records all in the Stour valley
Great Grey Shrike - now very scarce - autumn passage birds are the best bet
Hawfinch - much declined
Purple Sandpiper - Thanet as advised by Ashley
Red-crested Pochard - I've seen most at Dungeness but none recently
Shag - Dover harbout, thanet etc
Twite - again much less common in recent years
Velver Scoter - any coastal site is possible check KOS website

Further to previous posts, the stretch between Dumpton Gap and Stone Bay in the Broadstairs area is a good place to find (and get close to) Purple Sandpipers. I've geotagged some of the best locations on these photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/markkilner/tags/calidrismaritima

A group of five Twites spent much of last winter roaming around the North Foreland / Foreness area, but I haven't heard of any similar reports this time around.

I gather that you, GH, saw Hawfinch OK this afternoon whilst I was off pottering round with Mrs C. I had six birds in all - first lose a group of 4 that bounced around a bit before settling into roost and, just as I was leaving, another two birds which came over high, briefly perched on a treetop before dropping in too. Record shot attached,

Attachments

• Hawfinch 1.jpg
    Hawfinch 1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 233
I gather that you, GH, saw Hawfinch OK this afternoon whilst I was off pottering round with Mrs C. I had six birds in all - first lose a group of 4 that bounced around a bit before settling into roost and, just as I was leaving, another two birds which came over high, briefly perched on a treetop before dropping in too. Record shot attached,

Certainly did. Thanks John and others for help and advice. A fantastic day, gorgeous weather, scenery and not least birds. Started on Walland with Crane and perched up Merlin, Dunge delivered Red-crested Pochard and I don't know how many Great White Egrets, we had 7 in view at one time but felt that others we had seen before could have been additional, possibly 9 or even 10!
Glaucous Gull on beach and another Merlin over.
Hythe was mobbed so no joy there but Dover came up with 7 Shag, Black-throated Diver and Purple Sandpiper etc.
We got 2 Hawfinch after we saw you and finished at Oare on 101 for the day and 5 Kent ticks. Superb.

Managed to pick up a Velvet Scoter (immature drake) off the pier at Deal today, with about 40 Common Scoter.

Also bagged 4 Waxwings in Whitstable. I realised that my only Kentish Waxwings were in the London sector and that doesn't count! What is it with the Kent list? Essex goes right down to the Thames/Lea Valley border = Old Essex. Kent lister must have higher ethics or just masochists trying to make it harder on themsleves:)

It has also flagged up to me that on the same basis I still need Caspian Gull and Woodlark...darn!

My excursions/exertions for Egyptian Goose were not as successful unfortunately. I tried Dartford marsh, Conningbrook and Sevenoaks all with zero result. Any tips on connecting with these, especially at Dartford or Sevenoaks, i.e. time of year, time of day, particular favoured spots would be much appreciated.

If anyone can help (maybe with pm's) for Woodlark and Dartford Warbler in the next couple of months that too would be great.

Also, what's the score with Wood Warbler, scarce breeder or just occasional singer?

Regards

I see there is a (long-staying?) Dartford Warbler and Woodlark at SBBO. Any details would be appreciated. I only know 'along the beach North of Obs near Stonechats' probably enough to locate but every little helps.
Cheers

I see there is a (long-staying?) Dartford Warbler and Woodlark at SBBO. Any details would be appreciated. I only know 'along the beach North of Obs near Stonechats' probably enough to locate but every little helps.
Cheers

At the risk of answering my own question, the Dartford showed well about 1km North of the end of the road running down to the beach. It was with a couple of Tits and eventually loosely associated with a pair of Stonechats that had worked their way down the beach from the Wader roosting area, about another 1.5 km further North. Quite a walk in the end but well worth it.

Not a lot else around, quite a few winter Thrushes arriving ahead of the cold perhaps were the most interesting.

Looks like I did answer my own question:)

I have only seen them the once there and that must of been around september 2012 . Mote Park is a great place to see birds of many species

Last edited:
Just seen that there are some Twite (15) at Sheerness, I understand they are near the entrance of Barton Point park and a White House. Looks like that is Marine Parade. Even I should be able to find the beach from there if I manage to get that far.

My problem is I won't be able to get down there before Friday so would appreciate any updates during the week. Also if anyone stumbles across any stationary Egyptian Geese in Kent between now and then it would make a nice double.

Regards
GH

Certainly did. Thanks John and others for help and advice. A fantastic day, gorgeous weather, scenery and not least birds. Started on Walland with Crane and perched up Merlin, Dunge delivered Red-crested Pochard and I don't know how many Great White Egrets, we had 7 in view at one time but felt that others we had seen before could have been additional, possibly 9 or even 10!
Glaucous Gull on beach and another Merlin over.
Hythe was mobbed so no joy there but Dover came up with 7 Shag, Black-throated Diver and Purple Sandpiper etc.
We got 2 Hawfinch after we saw you and finished at Oare on 101 for the day and 5 Kent ticks. Superb.

Fantastic! I've been trying for 100 in a day (in Kent) for a few years and haven't got above 90. I wonder what the ideal time of year and location(s) would be?

Last edited:
I don't really like 'Big Days' but I've managed to get 100+ in the county a number of times - including by push bike (114 I think). I fear it's a lot tougher these days than a decade or so back when a lot of birds were more common. A circuit we used to do in early May went something like dawn Church Woods (Canterbury), Trenley, Stodmarsh/Grove & Pegwell/Sandwich (or Oare). Another circuit was Ham Street woods, Dungeness & Stodmarsh,

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back