• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

vintage vs new binoculars (1 Viewer)

wordpainter

Not looking to spend much on binoculars just yet. Found in an antique shop a pair Pentax Asahi 7 x 50. Examined them, seem to be in good to excellent condition, $68.00, could probably get them for less. Misgivings about vintage glass, O rings, lack of waterproofing, etc. But I understand that Pentax items from this era are quite good. Would I be better off buying a pair of Nikon Action at a comparable price?

Advice from knowledgeable souls much appreciated.

My old Asahi Pentax 6x30 are still going strong after 25 years. Super sharp and clear and they have been carried sans case all over hell's half acre. Never had a problem with them of any kind.

It all has to do with comfort these days. Even porros. I did not like the eye cups of the Action EX in the long run. I sold mine. I have Bushnells.

Optics may be pretty good in the old porros.

I stand to be corrected here because I have never used a vintage Pentax binocular, but it is reported that on some examples their anti-reflective coatings give an unpleasant greenish tint to the image.

I have an excellent condition Pentax Asahi 7 x 50. I'm not sure if this applies (below) but I found this info:

In only 2 cases have I ever seen a binocular with a purposeful blue caste and both binoculars were made for use in extreme desert conditions (the Pentax 7x50D CF and the Hensoldt 8x30 French/Algerian military porro CF binoculars). When everything is yellow and yellow dust and grit are constantly being blown around, these 2 binoculars seem to cut through the yellow haze to produce a slightly better balanced view. The Pentax models had objectives coated with pure gold to reduce IR, and the Hensoldt Algerians have a set of ND 2W warm neutral density filters to allow users to look up into the brilliant blue sky without the worst effects of the extra-blue view. Some other military people I've spoken to have commented that a blue tilted color balance is also excellent for viewing movement in the desert under full moonlight.
source:http://www.camerasandlenses.org/lens_holgers_latest_review__classic_8x30_porros_122360.htm

My bins have an orange/gold reflection with a blue tint in view.

Last edited:
Asahi Pentax were (in)famous for their gold ocular coatings in the 1970s, depending on your opinion of these 'golden oldies'. They were supposed to give a clearer view, though many users disliked the 'cold' blue/green colour tinge. I've had a few such Pentaxes, eg. 8x30, & 7x35 (with 11 degrees field!) and they were sharp enough, rendering foliage an even greener hue than real life, but it's significant that later models, like the 8x40 model 566, having dropped the 'Asahi' from the name, also dropped the gold oculars, restoring colour correctness. If you don't mind the cool view, those old Asahi Pentaxes are OK...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back