• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can't decide..Is Nikon Action EX is only a waterproof edition of Nikon Action CF? (1 Viewer)

birding_buddy

Hi to all once again..
After long research , i have now settled with Nikon action ex binoculars for my budget.(i prefer 7x35 for their weight).
Now the issue which concerns me is..

I am from India and here Nikon action Ex costs double than Nikon Action.
Neither i do wear-eye glasses nor waterproof is of notable importance to me.

But of course eye-relief is added advantage to me, coz Action EX's plenty of eye-relief is always a relaxation for long time birding.

Is there any notable optical quality difference in Nikon Action Ex and Nikon Action CF or are they same in optics?
I mean in brightness , center-filed sharpness and resolution..

In papers it seems there is no difference.Both are listed as Fully Coated..

So, is Nikon Action Ex is only a waterproof model of Nikon Action?
Since i cant try out these bins here, Pls help me to decide.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Birding Buddy,

Firstly a comment on the eye relief. A 7x35 is going to be brighter than you would normally see with the naked eye. You might want to consider the need for sun glasses in the middle of the day.

You might be interested in some general testing done by Prof Edz on the Cloudy Nights astronomy forum on the 8x.
http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1761

Essentially, the Nikon Actions performed very well against some much more expensive pairs. Field curvature is a negative for astronomers, but I personally like it in a low power birding bino. Others will disagree. I would expect the 7x35 to be just as good compared to others, though I've not done the comparison myself.

David

Does India carry Nikon Travelite V ?

I got one for a very low price ( 10x35 ) and I am absolutely in love
with it , its function balanced with its low price.

Its very contrasty and pretty bright for 35. I dont have any complaints
for birding use. Also its very light and compact.

Yes, Monarch is clearly better but Monarch is 3 times the price of Travelite V

Does India carry Nikon Travelite V ?

I got one for a very low price ( 10x35 ) and I am absolutely in love
with it , its function balanced with its low price.

Its very contrasty and pretty bright for 35. I dont have any complaints
for birding use. Also its very light and compact.

Yes, Monarch is clearly better but Monarch is 3 times the price of Travelite V

I guess what u mean is travelite V 10x25, and not 10x35. 25mm is too less for birding in dawn and dusk and i already own one of the finer compact of pentax 8x25, but not happy with it. So i setteld down with porro 7x35 or 8x40 which would be quite light also fits into my budget, and so i chose nikon action extreme.
Pls comment on thise bins and your replies are very appreciated, coz based on the user recommendations i am going to buy it, as i dont have any chance here to test it before buying.

I had the Nikon Action (8x40 I think) some years ago and more recently the Nikon Action 7x35EX. In the UK the EX was about 40% more than the standard Action version, but in India you say the EX is twice the price. In my opinion, it comes down to this: the optical quality is about the same, from what I remember, although I preferred the EX eye-cups; the build quality of the EX seems better, more robust, better finished, and waterproof; the EX eye relief is considerably better, giving an easier, more comfortable view (I could never quite get used to the standard's view, which may be because of its poorer E/R).
So, if the choice were mine, I'd rather pay twice the price and be comfortable with the EX, than pay half the price of the EX but not be happy with the normal Action. For what it's worth, entirely subjectively, I felt the standard Action was 'okay' whereas I felt the EX was remarkable value for money, built to last a lifetime, and a 'bin' to be proud of. If only for the generous eye relief, the EX is worth the extra expense. I also believe a 7x35 is a good choice: wide angle view, reasonable magnification and quite bright. I still have my old Nikon 7x35A from the 1970s because it's a good all-rounder for general use. I say the Nikon Action Extreme 7x35EX is the one to buy...

I had the Nikon Action (8x40 I think) some years ago and more recently the Nikon Action 7x35EX. In the UK the EX was about 40% more than the standard Action version, but in India you say the EX is twice the price. In my opinion, it comes down to this: the optical quality is about the same, from what I remember, although I preferred the EX eye-cups; the build quality of the EX seems better, more robust, better finished, and waterproof; the EX eye relief is considerably better, giving an easier, more comfortable view (I could never quite get used to the standard's view, which may be because of its poorer E/R).
So, if the choice were mine, I'd rather pay twice the price and be comfortable with the EX, than pay half the price of the EX but not be happy with the normal Action. For what it's worth, entirely subjectively, I felt the standard Action was 'okay' whereas I felt the EX was remarkable value for money, built to last a lifetime, and a 'bin' to be proud of. If only for the generous eye relief, the EX is worth the extra expense. I also believe a 7x35 is a good choice: wide angle view, reasonable magnification and quite bright. I still have my old Nikon 7x35A from the 1970s because it's a good all-rounder for general use. I say the Nikon Action Extreme 7x35EX is the one to buy...

Thanks ..After a long research i too came to find out that Action EX excels not only in optics but also in durability and ergonomics. So i am going with it. Since in India it costs more, i decided to get one from my Singapore friend where it costs just 50 % what it costs in India. And as you told i am going with 7x35 coz i want it to be small.

Happy birding..

Hi Birding Buddy,

Firstly a comment on the eye relief. A 7x35 is going to be brighter than you would normally see with the naked eye. You might want to consider the need for sun glasses in the middle of the day.

David

David
What does eye relief have to do with brightness? And how can a bino increase light more than can be seen with the naked eye???? No bino has 100% light transmission, thus they actually have to be slighly dimmer than the light level seen with the naked eye.

The Action EX has better optics, better coatings, twist up eyecups, and is waterproof, and is a much better bino than the standard Action. Plus it handles stray light much better.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back