• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Curlew or Whimbrel please, Scotland (1 Viewer)

Ravenwing

Been a busy week for me so all help given much appreciated. Sorry about the long distance cropped shots but is this a Curlew or a Whimbrel ?
Thanks, Alex

Attachments

• Curlew 14 may 1as.jpg
    Curlew 14 may 1as.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 197
  • Curlew 14 may 2as.jpg
    Curlew 14 may 2as.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 186
Not 100% sure due to photo quality, but I think its a curlew because whimbrel do not have white underwings like it appears to me in the second photo.

Both Whimbrel and Curlew have a similar pale underwing Tom. Hudsonian Whimbrel on the other hand, does have a darker underwing but only occurs very rarely here in the UK. It's got a fairly obvious/striking facial pattern in pic 1 and a bill that wouldn't look unusual on a Whimbrel but there is the occasional Curlew which can show similar extremes. I'll still sway towards Whimbrel though.

I suppose the more reliable feature in this photo is the facial pattern which I agree is good for whimbrel. I have never before seen a euraisian curlew and have seen thousands of whimbrel. I have never seen a whimbrel with a "white" underwing. They are normally golden brown, I cross referenced myself with my stokes field guide as well as photos online. Stokes describes whimbrel flight as "any white underneath is confined to the central belly." Not that you can reliably tell at all what the underwing of this bird looks like in this photo.

Last edited:
As the first photo is rather 'burnt out' the facial pattern isn't reliable but the bill, although looking rather long, is more like Eur. Whimbrel. Rather straight at the basal end and then downcurved at the other. Eur. Curlew tends to be more evenly curved along its length.

I suppose the more reliable feature in this photo is the facial pattern which I agree is good for whimbrel. I have never before seen a euraisian curlew and have seen thousands of whimbrel. I have never seen a whimbrel with a "white" underwing. They are normally golden brown, I cross referenced myself with my stokes field guide as well as photos online. Stokes describes whimbrel flight as "any white underneath is confined to the central belly." Not that you can reliably tell at all what the underwing of this bird looks like in this photo.

Whimbrels in Europe do have white underwings - unlike their American counterparts (what we Brits would call 'Hudsonian whimbrel').

The pale underwing, along with a white rump and 'wedge' up the back are what separates Eur. Whimbrel from Hudsonian ( the one found in the New World ).

So we are thinking this is a Whimbrel? I am terrible with bird song but the noise as they landed (2 birds at Spey Bay) drew my attention to them and they did not sound like Curlew.
Sorry about the poor photos but I was on the east bank and they were on the west bank.

Are the two pics the same, or different individuals?

It's hard to be sure with the pic quality, but I'm thinking Whimbrel for #1 and Curlew for #2.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back