• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica objective covers (1 Viewer)

Macfly

Does anyone have suggestions for better objective covers?
The ones that come with the new geovid hd-b are horrible!
The bands are week and the rubber itself is a bit too soft so the slightest friction, like taking them out of their bag, they pop off if you so much as look at them!
Somebody talked about using the butler creek scope objective pop up covers for other binos but they are too deep to fit around these due to the arm design.

This seems to have been a problem with many top binocular, either the objective or eyepiece covers are useless, and I am amazed how it is not getting any better, the Zeiss Victory seem to fit well, but I have had the same issue with others,Nikon, Bushnell, Leica, all seem unable or unwilling to deal with this, from the times it is mentioned in reviews you would have to think they are all aware of it. Only suggestion I have is to measure the diameter and have a look on surplussshed to see if they have anything.

I found it most comfortable to throw the objective covers in the garbage can, no matter the brand. In the field you do not need them and when the binoculars have to be transported and a protection of the objective lenses is needed a light weight bag is sufficient. The raincover of the eyepieces is a different story: only a few brands make raincovers with a high level of user comfort, so you have to find which one you like the most. Light weight and easy to use are my favorites.
Gijs

The same type design is used on te swaro 15x56 slc that I just got but it is actually much better and stays put. They use a harder compound and the band is very tight, almost too tight to get around the tube so it works. Was thinking of getting a pair of those in 42mm to use on the leicas

The object lens covers on my HT"s are a little difficult to fit but once on they stay on full stop.On the other hand those on my Conquest HD's are easy to put on but also fall off easier.The look similar in design so I don't know why the diffence.I don't use them whilst birding but I do for storage etc....Eddy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back