• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold GR 8x32 vs Kahles 8x32? (1 Viewer)

Quite different binoculars, all of them. IMO, the Leupold image is noticeably brighter and sharper than the Kahles, but the Leupold weighs 27 oz and the Kahles 21.5. The Zen is larger than the Kahles but weighs about the same, is brighter and has a wider field than either, and IMO has better center field resolution than the Kahles (I'd put it about even with the Leupold). The Leupold warranty is the state of the industry, the Kahles also carry a lifetime warranty, and the Zens, we hope, will be equally well supported, though it's hard to know. The Zens have been around a couple of years, the other two companies more than a century.

Thanks

Fireform, thnks for your review it was short and sweet reading.

Read your full review of GR, see you put it i the same category as SE, is it posible that they are that good? Have you changed your mind about them since your full review?

Fireform, thnks for your review it was short and sweet reading.

Read your full review of GR, see you put it i the same category as SE, is it posible that they are that good? Have you changed your mind about them since your full review?

They're not quite as bright as the SE, but their center field resolution (at least the pair I tried) was very close, and the color rendition and contrast were excellent. The view was very easy and involving. The pair I reviewed was the non-HD version, and their control of CA was better than any other non-ED-glass roof I've tried, even better than the SE. I have to imagine that the HD version is better still on that score. FrankD has reported being less impressed with the resolution in the ones he's looked through, so there is that to consider. It would be well worth buying a pair from a company with a good return policy and giving them a careful look.

The bottom line is that I wound up selling the GRs and keeping the SEs, because they were heavy for an 8x32, but optically there were no flies on them. As I said, if I were wanting a 10x glass I would look hard at the GR HD.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back