• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The new Sigma 150-500mm lens (1 Viewer)

Sorry Rob I meant piccies of shots you have taken with the lens. I suspect they will be better than the others in Birding World.

Sorry Rob I meant piccies of shots you have taken with the lens. I suspect they will be better than the others in Birding World.

Here's another from the lens JohnZ it has been PP'd
Rob.

Attachments

• DOVE-A.jpg
    DOVE-A.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 664
denise.camera on EBay have the new Sigma 150-500mm for £499.99 plus £35 p&p making it the cheapest (non direct from the Far East) I can find in the UK.

well iv just been doing some test and stopped down to f8 makes quite a diffrence in iq
shots are with the mk3 lens at 500mm iso 400. 1/400sec lens resting on a beam OS on.
Rob.

Attachments

• f8.jpg
    f8.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 797
  • SIG-500.jpg
    SIG-500.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 793
Now this is shot at f8 at 500mm handheld 1/320 iso 500 1dmk3 very pleased with the IQ on this one.
Rob.

Attachments

• dove-500-f8.jpg
    dove-500-f8.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 708
2 more shot's but i have to say some other tests iv done have really come out very good too the lens can deliver - if your close to the subject then it starts to really shine.
the note here is tripod mirrow lockup 1dmk3 lens at 500mm and aprox 10ft away 1/400sec selftimer iso 100 and wide open at f6.3 no pp
Pidion 500mm f8 iso 500 1/1250 f8 hand held PP done in cs3 aprox 25ft away
Rob.

Attachments

• NO-PP.jpg
    NO-PP.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 349
  • pidion-z.jpg
    pidion-z.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 536
Starting to look good Rob. A few days ago I had just about decided against getting this lens but then you and a few others came along and things are really looking up. It seems like the lens really benefits from stopping down a bit but I guess the 4 stop OS will help in this department.

Starting to look good Rob. A few days ago I had just about decided against getting this lens but then you and a few others came along and things are really looking up. It seems like the lens really benefits from stopping down a bit but I guess the 4 stop OS will help in this department.

It is Roy iv done many tests now, mostly static and im very happy with it F8 really makes a diffrenc and the closer you are to the subject as always helps too
Iso 400 might be the way to go to help keep the SS up but the OS works fine so lower iso can be used on bright days.
Rob.

The pigeon looks a bit soft to me, but the tenner looks very promising - close to what I get from my 100-400mm.

i know how sharp your 1-4 is and the shots you get out of it so the sigma being close is good news as i know you get the very best out of your 1-4.
Rob.

I'm still pretty enthusiastic in general about these Sigmas, Rob - now that they're falling into the hands of "proper" bird photographers like yourself, I expect we'll see more and more pictures that suggest they're worth serious consideration.

I've always had a soft spot for Sigma lenses myself, and I look forward to seeing more of your pictures as you get more used to your lens.

Anyone have any further thoughts on this lens, now they've had a chance to use it a bit more. It seems rather heavy, is it really easy to use hand-held, say for flight shots? I'm dithering between this, the Canon 400m f5 and the Canon 100-400 as a first long lens to use with a 40D.

Sean

Yes ,it is easy to handhold,esp if you swing the tripod holder around.Not a heavy lens.Re the 100-400 or the 400F5.6 .If one has already used these 2 lenses ,then you could have a prob deciding which is the better lens.
If you do not have the 100-400,then the price of the Sigma is good.
Best idea is to go to your local dealer and check ,using the Sigma.This lens has good reviews,but for Canon users who have used the 400F5.6 and the 100-400 then you may decide to stay with Canon.

Anyone have any further thoughts on this lens, now they've had a chance to use it a bit more. It seems rather heavy, is it really easy to use hand-held, say for flight shots? I'm dithering between this, the Canon 400m f5 and the Canon 100-400 as a first long lens to use with a 40D.

Sean

I've not had the chance to test the new Sigma myself but at just under 2kg it's quite a heavy lens (siginificantly heavier than your other options). The idea of a handholdable stabalised 500mm lens appeals to me to I have been reading a lot of reviews of this lens. So far I have not seen any shots to suggest that this lens is in the same league as the two Canon's you mention. I have owned both of the Canons (still have the 456) and both are excellent.

I have found a couple more shots taken with the Sigma 150-500.These shots are all handheld,albeit,I was either sitting down or I had something to lean on ,at the time of taking them.
One of the reasons why I sold this lens and replaced my 100-400 was because I take shots for our local rugby and cricket clubs,and needed to be sure I had a lens which I was used to using ,and I knew would give acceptable results.

Attachments

• 500-Test-098a.jpg
    500-Test-098a.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 506
  • 500-Test-116a.jpg
    500-Test-116a.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 376
  • 500-Test-143a.jpg
    500-Test-143a.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 487
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back