• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EDG II users, past or present.... (1 Viewer)

I'm sorry dennis, but even with your Swaro 10x50 SV in hand, you still can't go anywhere near matching it with the real Dennis ....... ;)
Heck, you could even be driving an Aston Martin and you'd still fall short! :eek!::eek!:

dennis ........ meet the real DENNIS :king: :loveme:

Australian Fast Bowling Legend -- Dennis Lillee. |:p|

REAL MOUSTACHE
REAL CHEST HAIR
REAL GOLD MEDALLION
REAL LEGEND!

34385f2e8d68bb66bf5055b32097f1eb-1.jpgScreenshot_2016-07-03-19-51-33-1.jpgimages (2).jpegimages-2 (1).jpegimages-4-1.jpg

Chosun :gh:

I'm sorry dennis, but even with your Swaro 10x50 SV in hand, you still can't go anywhere near matching it with the real Dennis ....... ;)
Heck, you could even be driving an Aston Martin and you'd still fall short! :eek!::eek!:

REAL MOUSTACHE
REAL CHEST HAIR
REAL GOLD MEDALLION
REAL LEGEND!

View attachment 590645View attachment 590650View attachment 590647View attachment 590648View attachment 590651

Oh no Denco Dennis...Real Dennis is looking pretty good there.
You're gonna need the Swaro of fake mustaches and fake chest hair to
compete with Real Dennis...plus, some pro-sports trophies, a nice body and
legend status.

Come to think of it just save your money on the alpha custom hairpieces, hours in the gym etc and put the money towards a new bino.
Maybe a new Kowa or Leica alpha...those should be coming out "soon" ...which means another few years in kowa and Leica time.

:-O

REAL MOUSTACHE
REAL CHEST HAIR
REAL GOLD MEDALLION
REAL LEGEND!

View attachment 590645View attachment 590650View attachment 590647View attachment 590648View attachment 590651

What is "Fast Bowling"?:-O Is that something like Curling? That looks like a sissy game. Now Rugby or football that might be some competition for me. :smoke:He probably doesn't have three Swaro's either.

Oh no Denco Dennis...Real Dennis is looking pretty good there.
You're gonna need the Swaro of fake mustaches and fake chest hair to
compete with Real Dennis...plus, some pro-sports trophies, a nice body and
legend status.

Come to think of it just save your money on the alpha custom hairpieces, hours in the gym etc and put the money towards a new bino.
Maybe a new Kowa or Leica alpha...those should be coming out "soon" ...which means another few years in kowa and Leica time.

"plus, some pro-sports trophies, a nice body and
legend status."

Two out of three isn't bad.:t:

Last edited:
What is "Fast Bowling"?:-O Is that something like Curling? That looks like a sissy game. Now Rugby or football that might be some competition for me. :smoke:He probably doesn't have three Swaro's either.

Cricket old chap!

Haha dennis, It's like baseball ..... only for real hairy chested men 8-P

A cricket ball is basically a leather covered rock :eek!: - about 5% smaller than a baseball, AND about 10% heavier .... 'bowled' from less than 22 yards @ 100mph ...... oh, and back in the hairy chested 70's batsmen didn't wear helmets! :eek!::eek!:

I don't think you'd be able to see those 100mph cricket balls heading for ya noggin' even with an 8x42 EDG ...... :smoke:

At the time 'Lillee' was the world record holder with 355 wickets and along with 'Thomo' was the destroyer of many 'Poms' and the drawer of much blood and causer of broken bones, recurring nightmares and involuntary shaking! :eek!:

As for the Swaro's, I'm pretty sure that a 'light' breakfast for Lillee consisted of 3 Swarovski Habichts eaten raw! :-O

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BINRTIFKixw

And cricket requires more strategic thinking and more tactical adaptation than rugby and American football combined, not to mention the strength of a weightlifter, the deftness of hand of a fencer, the athleticism of a sprinter and the sheer balls of a hero.

CJ's Dennis was a superman among mere mortals.

Lee

Cricket old chap!

Haha dennis, It's like baseball ..... only for real hairy chested men 8-P

A cricket ball is basically a leather covered rock :eek!: - about 5% smaller than a baseball, AND about 10% heavier .... 'bowled' from less than 22 yards @ 100mph ...... oh, and back in the hairy chested 70's batsmen didn't wear helmets! :eek!::eek!:

I don't think you'd be able to see those 100mph cricket balls heading for ya noggin' even with an 8x42 EDG ...... :smoke:

At the time 'Lillee' was the world record holder with 355 wickets and along with 'Thomo' was the destroyer of many 'Poms' and the drawer of much blood and causer of broken bones, recurring nightmares and involuntary shaking! :eek!:

As for the Swaro's, I'm pretty sure that a 'light' breakfast for Lillee consisted of 3 Swarovski Habichts eaten raw! :-O

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BINRTIFKixw

Cricket! HaHa! That's a not a sport for men. American football now that is a man's game. Any NFL football player could take your boy "Lillee" and twist him like a pretzel.B :)Even an NFL FG kicker has bigger biceps than that little boy.

Attachments

• 120428-turbin-300.jpg
    120428-turbin-300.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 57
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Landry_crop_north.jpg
    Landry_crop_north.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Cricket! HaHa! That's a not a sport for men. American football now that is a man's game. Any NFL football player could take your boy "Lillee" and twist him like a pretzel.B :)Even an NFL FG kicker has bigger biceps than that little boy.

Hahaha, are they made out of candy?! I'm sorry dennis, but you must be kidding! :-O You must have been spending too much time over 12000ft on Independence Pass - Give Up! I think the lack of oxygen has affected your thinking! (o)< :bounce: 3:) I don't think you could see any hair on those 'boys' chests even with a 10x42 EDG ! |8.|

You need a hairy chest to play the sport of 'real' men - just like Dennis Lillee ....... with all that padding on those 'boys', NFL is a 'girls blouse' sport --- I don't think they'd be brave enough to face a 100mph "bouncer" without a helmet and all their girly padding .......
Screenshot_2016-07-04-13-40-53-1.jpg
Maybe you should recruit a 'Sasquatch' to play in the NFL - just add a gold medallion to all that chest hair and you're good to go! ..... you might have trouble finding one though, even with an EDG !! :cat:
bigfoot-patterson-e1272200243598.jpg

You will never see an American NFL football player doing this before a game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtXKCmwFCag

Not that there's anything wrong with that! :-O
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rGAyQAkXajg

Hahaha :)) ....... nice buns! :t:
I think that's a bit of a gee up! :'D :smoke: B :) 3:)
They are real men. Also, here is an explanation of why a Cricket player doesn't have to be physically strong, whereas, an NFL football player does. https://www.quora.com/Why-cricketer-dont-have-body-like-football-players
Seriously dennis - you should have quit with the Sasquatch ! :king:

Just because some 13 year old Internet warrior from India says so is hardly rigorous scientific proof! Sheesh! .... take a trip down to Death Valley at midday in the middle of summer with some 300lb gorilla nicknamed, oh I dunno, "The Refrigerator" or some other such oversized household appliance, and sprint flat out for 44 yards AND THEN bowl a rock @100mph ....... NOW do that 60 times in a row ...... give yourselves 1/2 an hours relative rest where you just run around chasing tumbleweeds or geckos or something AND THEN DO IT AGAIN !!! I don't think you'll need an EDG to see what would happen! Hahahaha :-O

Let me know how you go with that! I've heard those NFL types are only good for about 10 seconds! hahaha ...... hardly hairy chested!!! 8-P

Back on topic, the EDG is a binocular I would like to see. If either the EDG or HT don't look better to me than the SV, then there's nothing left to try unless a new Alpha is introduced in the near future.

Back on topic, ..............

I agree! This thread could stand some pruning, chest wigs and all.

I do not know if the EDG or HT will look better to you compared to the Swaro, but it will look a little different. Probably the most noticeable will be differences in the color balance. The Swaro and HT seem closer to neutral to me (but not totally neutral). The Edge is more on th warm side and the Swaro on the blue side. The other big difference is the HT is a classic design without the flat field. The EDG has a flat field but not to the extent as the Swaro. I do see a little more pin cushioning in the EDG compared to the Swaro EL models.

They are all good, but I think the most important criteria for you is which is best at handling CA. Sorry that I can not be of more help on that.

Do you still have the one 8.5X42 SV EL? I can not remember.

I do not know if the EDG or HT will look better to you compared to the Swaro, but it will look a little different. Probably the most noticeable will be differences in the color balance. The Swaro and HT seem closer to neutral to me (but not totally neutral). The Edge is more on th warm side and the Swaro on the blue side. The other big difference is the HT is a classic design without the flat field. The EDG has a flat field but not to the extent as the Swaro. I do see a little more pin cushioning in the EDG compared to the Swaro EL models.

They are all good, but I think the most important criteria for you is which is best at handling CA. Sorry that I can not be of more help on that.

The biggest difference between the big four 10x42's is the EDG is the darkest of them all with the SV a little brighter and the HT the brightest. The EDG's reddish color cast makes things look darker but the SV's more neutral cast makes them brighter and the HT's highest transmission of the four and neutral color cast makes them the brightest. The SV though has the best ergonomics of them all and the best edges with a 100% sharp FOV. CA on all of them is pretty close and doesn't make much difference. One your forgetting is the 10x42 SF which is also brighter than the EDG and also has excellent sharp edges. If the EDG had more transmission and was brighter it would be the best 10x42 made but it doesn't. If I had to rank the 10x42's it would be 10x42 SV(First), 10x42 SF(Second), 10x42 HT(Third), and 10x42 EDG II(Fourth) overall. The EDG doesn't have the pop or brightness of the other three. If you want high transmission sparkle and a bright binocular go with the HT but if you want a comfortable, 100% sharp FOV with tack sharp edges and an easier view go with the SV or SF. To me the 10x42 SV is the best overall with the SF really close.

Last edited:
As of now I have no Alphas, I recently liquidated my SVs and actually ended up with a small profit. I have a feeling that after I see the HT, and maybe the EDG and FL, I will probably end up with an SV and finally call it a day. I am interested however to see the transmission and CA control of the HT.

The biggest difference between the big four 10x42's is the EDG is the darkest of them all with the SV a little brighter and the HT the brightest. The EDG's reddish color cast makes things look darker but the SV's more neutral cast makes them brighter and the HT's highest transmission of the four and neutral color cast makes them the brightest. The SV though has the best ergonomics of them all and the best edges with a 100% sharp FOV. CA on all of them is pretty close and doesn't make much difference. One your forgetting is the 10x42 SF which is also brighter than the EDG and also has excellent sharp edges. If the EDG had more transmission and was brighter it would be the best 10x42 made but it doesn't. If I had to rank the 10x42's it would be 10x42 SV(First), 10x42 SF(Second), 10x42 HT(Third), and 10x42 EDG II(Fourth) overall. The EDG doesn't have the pop or brightness of the other three. If you want high transmission sparkle and a bright binocular go with the HT but if you want a comfortable, 100% sharp FOV with tack sharp edges and an easier view go with the SV or SF. To me the 10x42 SV is the best overall with the SF really close.

Just for the record, Dennis, the Allbinos Binocular Analysis Website has ranked the Nikon 10x42 EDG in 1st place in the 10x42 category which is one place higher higher than the Swarovski 10x42 SV which it ranks #2. It has not yet ranked the 10x42 SF or the 10x42 HT but we can extrapolate from your own ranking of the Swarovski 10 x42 as #1 that the Nikon 10x42 EDG would probably rank above them.

A link is provided below for those interested. For the record, the recently discontinued Zeiss 8x42 Victory T* FL is ranked 3rd.

http://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

As far as transmission goes Allbinos graphs for the Nikon and Swarovski binoculars show that the EDG has higher transmission from the middle of the visible light spectrum into the red end of the spectrum while the SV has higher transmission from the near ultraviolet end into the middle of the visible light spectrum. Users can decide for themselves which one shows the colors that they like better.

Bob

Just for the record, Dennis, the Allbinos Binocular Analysis Website has ranked the Nikon 10x42 EDG in 1st place in the 10x42 category which is one place higher higher than the Swarovski 10x42 SV which it ranks #2. It has not yet ranked the 10x42 SF or the 10x42 HT but we can extrapolate from your own ranking of the Swarovski 10 x42 as #1 that the Nikon 10x42 EDG would probably rank above them.

A link is provided below for those interested. For the record, the recently discontinued Zeiss 8x42 Victory T* FL is ranked 3rd.

http://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

As far as transmission goes Allbinos graphs for the Nikon and Swarovski binoculars show that the EDG has higher transmission from the middle of the visible light spectrum into the red end of the spectrum while the SV has higher transmission from the near ultraviolet end into the middle of the visible light spectrum. Users can decide for themselves which one shows the colors that they like better.

Bob
It is the red part of the spectrum that makes the EDG darker coupled with lower transmission. The EDG is just visibly darker than the other three. It is it's major downfall in my opinion. It is great in other areas like flare and comfort and has an exceptionally smooth focus. Nikon needs to upgrade to HT glass on it. The Zeiss HT especially has higher transmission glass and so does the SV. Makes a big difference. Zeiss puts some good glass in the HT. Even on Allbino's they give the SV a 2% advantage on transmission and the Zeiss FL has a 6% advantage over the EDG just like the HT.

Last edited:
As of now I have no Alphas, I recently liquidated my SVs and actually ended up with a small profit. I have a feeling that after I see the HT, and maybe the EDG and FL, I will probably end up with an SV and finally call it a day. I am interested however to see the transmission and CA control of the HT.
You will probably like the SV's best unless you are doing a lot of low light viewing. The HT's are a little brighter but the SV's have a bigger FOV, better sharper edges and are more comfortable. Forget the EDG and FL. They are not even in the running.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back