• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zapata day trip (1 Viewer)

jrawcliffe

I am on a 'tourist' tour of W. Cuba in early March and have a free day that I want to use for a trip to Zapata. I have tried several times to contact potential guides by email without success.
If I make my own way to Playa Larga will I be able to find a guide when I arrive?
Failing this does anyone have a site for Bee Hummingbird which is my main aim? I understand that a couple of locals have attracted them to their gardens and make a small charge to view them but I don't have a clue how to track down their locations.

Last edited:
Hi J
Where are you heading to Zapata from? I think your chances of finding a local guide on spec when you arrive are slim but I have just returned from Cuba so can provide you with some up to date info on what I saw and where. I spent a few days at Zapata and it's easy without a guide unless you want to find the wren and sparrow. Are you day tripping or planning an overnight stay? If you want to PM me I'll happily provide you with some more info.
Regards
Stuart

Hi Stuart, apologies for hijacking someone else's message, but you seem helpful: how is the situation in Cuba when it comes to wandering around with a camera, binoculars and notebook? I know the locals have a reputation for being very friendly...but that was also meant to be the case in the highlands of Peru a few years back (and this was not guerilla country) and that didn't turn out to be true. I was imagined to be a government inspector accounting for cattle, which didn't go down well with the townsfolk. I had to move on...the situation in Cuba seems, from what I understand, to be changing quite quickly, so did you feel ok when you met up with the campesinos?

Hi Stuart. I'm planning a day trip from Varadero which I think may take 2-3 hours driving each way. I've been told I must stay on the road and not venture into any part of the reserve so I assumed I would need a local guide to get to grips with anything. I've been quoted 100 CUC for a guide once I arrive in Playa Larga - which isn't a fortune to us but must be a big pay day by Cuban standards? It would be good to see the wren & sparrow but I don't mind giving them a miss as I will only have a few hours so any info you can share would be very welcome.
Thanks, John.

Hi Stuart, apologies for hijacking someone else's message, but you seem helpful: how is the situation in Cuba when it comes to wandering around with a camera, binoculars and notebook? I know the locals have a reputation for being very friendly...but that was also meant to be the case in the highlands of Peru a few years back (and this was not guerilla country) and that didn't turn out to be true. I was imagined to be a government inspector accounting for cattle, which didn't go down well with the townsfolk. I had to move on...the situation in Cuba seems, from what I understand, to be changing quite quickly, so did you feel ok when you met up with the campesinos?

I wandered everywhere with my bins and camera, even in urban areas, and had no issues whatsoever. As you say, Cubans are some of the friendliest people in the world and in my limited experience it's also one of the safest places I've ever visited. I certainly wouldn't have any qualms about walking around with my optics on show.
Regards
Stuart

Hi Stuart. I'm planning a day trip from Varadero which I think may take 2-3 hours driving each way. I've been told I must stay on the road and not venture into any part of the reserve so I assumed I would need a local guide to get to grips with anything. I've been quoted 100 CUC for a guide once I arrive in Playa Larga - which isn't a fortune to us but must be a big pay day by Cuban standards? It would be good to see the wren & sparrow but I don't mind giving them a miss as I will only have a few hours so any info you can share would be very welcome.
Thanks, John.

Hi John,
You're in the right ball park regarding travel time from Varadero, so the earlier you can leave the more time you'll have in the field. The wren is traditionally searched for just after first light, so might be a tricky proposition unless you leave in the middle of the night. You certainly aren't restricted to birding from the road in most places, access to the forest is not a problem in many areas. I'll put together some ideas on where to visit and what you might see, based on my trip and PM you in the next couple of days. If you have some key targets, other than the hummingbird, please let me know and I'll do my best to give you some ideas.
Regards
Stuart

Thanks Stuart, I appreciate you taking the time to give details.
I believe the tour I'm on calls briefly at Cueva de los Peces where I hope to pick up Blue-headed QD. If I miss the Dove I will call back. Other birds would be owls (particularly Stygian), Cuban Parrot, Ovenbird and Fernandina's Flicker.
Many years ago I missed Mangrove Cuckoo in Florida so that would be another.
Regards
John

Thanks Stuart, I appreciate you taking the time to give details.
I believe the tour I'm on calls briefly at Cueva de los Peces where I hope to pick up Blue-headed QD. If I miss the Dove I will call back. Other birds would be owls (particularly Stygian), Cuban Parrot, Ovenbird and Fernandina's Flicker.
Many years ago I missed Mangrove Cuckoo in Florida so that would be another.
Regards
John

You won't miss the BHQD at Cueva, they're the easiest quail doves in the world. Head for the restaurant and you'll have them at your feet. I had Ovenbird there as well as other sites. I dipped Stygian Owl and I believe the cuckoo is best seen at Cayo Coco.
Stuart

Great tour guide in Holguin area

I am very pleased to post a very positive review of Karlos, a birdwatching guide in the Holguin-Guardalavaca Region of Cuba. I hired Karlos for 2 four hour tours (Feb 2017) and we saw over 50 species including shore birds and upland birds. Karlos is extremely knowledge and very patient.

Being a beginner with not great equipment, Karlos took the time to ensure I was able to see and photograph some great species including the Cuban Tody, the Cuban Pygmy Owl and many many others. I had a great time touring the back roads in this area. Karlos charged a very reasonable price for taking me out.

I'm definitely looking up Karlos next year for more great times out in the Cuban countryside!

His contact info is [email protected]

Nee Hummer is in palpite, check ebird and observation and cloudbirders for exact coördinates. I wonder about why guides don't respond though...

We also used Karlos after your wife gave me details on Tripadvisor. We agree he is a great guide and very knowledgable and cheerful, thanks to your wife for the info.
Kind regards Mike and Lyn Hunt

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back