• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (35 Viewers)

24 Mediterranean Gull between Joyland and South Denes today, but no sign of any pesky Waxwings.

Anyone know anything about the Ross's Goose at Waxham today ?

Sean

Few White Fronts in with some (local?) Barnacles at Buckenham Marshes today, and 2 Lesser Redpoll at Strumpshaw. No sign of the reported Northern Bullfinch.
The cold snap allowed me to obtain good views of 2 'common' species this weekend, a Water Rail on ice at Buckenham and a roosting Tawny Owl at Surlingham (although perhaps this is his usual spot).
Cheers,
Jim.

Wells Sat

Hi All,

Thought you might like the attached. Excellent visit to Wells Woods Sat morning. No sign of Hume's or Arctic Poll.

But, Trumpeter Bullfinch over, Rough-legged Buzz and Waxwing on the Sea Buckthorn made it a top look out :t:

Cheers,

Jonny

Attachments

• Waxwing.jpg
    Waxwing.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Rpoll.jpg
    Rpoll.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 141
  • Rl1.jpg
    Rl1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 180
More bling at Salthouse ! Where will it end ?

Feeling now just a little better, I drove carefully, on the often slippery roads, to Salthouse. Seeing the Blue Tit at Gramboro’ properly, for the first time, I noticed it was ringed. Unfortunately, the photo isn’t quite good enough to read the number. It then did a remarkable thing and completely disappeared . . . no trace.

The road west to Wells was often hairy, with some other drivers seemingly oblivious to the frozen surface. Can they really be that stupid ? Bullfinches peeooed softly and melted away. Must’ve been ‘ours’. I counted 11 in total.

A large tit flock, halfway to Lady Anne’s, did another disappearing act, when a raptor flew over. The track is in one shot; the Dell, another, as the sun went down.

A Great-spotted Woodpecker almost let me take a good flight shot.

2 Woodcocks flushed- and that was it.

Attachments

• 003sm.jpg
    003sm.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 022sm.jpg
    022sm.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 019psesm.jpg
    019psesm.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 182
  • 025sm.jpg
    025sm.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 130
Titchwell December 8th

Today's highlights

Long-tailed duck - pair offshore
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh
Bittern - 1 over reedbed
Snow bunting - 7 on brackish marsh
Twite - 14 on brackish marsh
Hen harrier - ringtail over reedbed at dusk
Spotted redshank - 3 on fresh marsh
Arctic skua - 1 offshore

Paul

Well after spending a weekend up in norfolk last year birding, my mate and i are returning tomorrow. We are staying in thornham again and will be spending at least a day at titchwell, and the surrounding area. Last year we spent another day at snettisham. Hows that site looking this week?
after reading Pauls post of todays sitings, it will be nice if we can see some of those birds.
Any other must visit places at the moment nearby? I know all things birding are pretty fluid, but sometimes a site can be holding good birds. I guess with a weather change this weekend that could all change!

I will have birdguides on my phone so hopefully we will have a good weekend. Now back to my packing!!

Well after spending a weekend up in norfolk last year birding, my mate and i are returning tomorrow. We are staying in thornham again and will be spending at least a day at titchwell, and the surrounding area. Last year we spent another day at snettisham. Hows that site looking this week?
after reading Pauls post of todays sitings, it will be nice if we can see some of those birds.
Any other must visit places at the moment nearby? I know all things birding are pretty fluid, but sometimes a site can be holding good birds. I guess with a weather change this weekend that could all change!

I will have birdguides on my phone so hopefully we will have a good weekend. Now back to my packing!!

Hi Mark

I haven't been to Snettisham for a few weeks but it has been hit by the hard frosts like everywhere else. All the pits have been frozen and the path had been pretty icy too. Having said that, there was a redhead smew to the south of the hides in the channel by the pumping station yesterday and there has been a black brant on the pagers recently. Good numbers of pinkies are leaving the roost at dawn.
Titchwell was also totally frozen today with no open water (apart from the sea!) although there was a slight thaw this afternoon.

Have a good weekend

Paul

Last edited:
Anyone know what happened to the presumed Northern Harrier? Hasn't been reported for a while...

Anyone know what happened to the presumed Northern Harrier? Hasn't been reported for a while...

It was possibly seen on 5th December by Sally Court, saw her Tweet on twitter saying possible and urged her to report it even just as poss to quote what she said ''Very orange underparts, dark upper parts, wings looked pretty broad, dark hood. Couldn't see primaries well''

Her profile is here http://twitter.com/#!/SallyCourt

So it could still be out there....

Request for Information

Hi,

I don't normally come on here but I've got a specific request for information.

I'm trying to track down photos of the Arctic Redpoll at Brancaster Golf Course on 17th-18th April 1994. I am told that photos exist but have so far been unable to hunt them down.

If you know of any such photos (either published or unpublished), took any yourself or know anyone who did I'd be really grateful if you could let me know.

Thanks very much for any help you can give!!!

Andy

Titchwell December 9th

Today's highlights

Greenshank - 1 on brackish marsh
Hen harrier - ringtail over Thornham saltmarsh
Bittern - 1 in flight from Fen Hide
Common scoter - 1000 offshore

Paul

Titchwell December 10th

Today's highlights

Twite - 30 on saltmarsh by beach boardwalk
Snow bunting - 26 on beach
Waxwing - 4 in carpark briefly this morning, 1 west this afternoon. (8 at Snettisham this morning in bushes near Rotary Hide)
Bittern - 1 from Fen Hide
Skylark - 80 on brackish marsh

Paul

Today's highlights

Twite - 30 on saltmarsh by beach boardwalk
Snow bunting - 26 on beach
Waxwing - 4 in carpark briefly this morning, 1 west this afternoon. (8 at Snettisham this morning in bushes near Rotary Hide)
Bittern - 1 from Fen Hide
Skylark - 80 on brackish marsh

Paul

Excellent (presumedo:)) misreading of your post by RBA, that has a Bittern at Snettisham, from the Fen Hide! Must be good optics;)

Thought the Ross's had been reported as wild. On birdguides as such for Kelling and I presume Waxham/Winterton before that.

Managed to find a Rough-leg at Chedgrave today, with a Ruddy Shelduck with 48 Egyptian Geese on Thornley Marshes on other side of the New Cut.

Other highlights included SE Owl, Barn Owl, 1000+ Pinkfeet, Bearded Tit and 3 Chinese Water Deer.

Possible male Goshawk also seen to fly over Road at Somerleyton briefly.

Cheers

Sean

Saw three waxwings on the corner of Connaught Road and Stafford Street in Norwich today about 13.00. If anyone sees any close to Larkman/Marl Pit area in the next few days please let me know. :)

thanks

Jo

There’s Snow business like . . ?

Arriving at Salthouse beach car park, I noticed several serious photographers at the eastern side. One of them had been scattering his seed from a large container, with no little success: half a dozen Snow Buntings were feeding, with the marauding Turnstones occasionally scaring them away. Many thanks for the nice shot I was able to take.

Wells held up to 8 Bullfinches (when doesn’t it?), although they were mostly elusive and flighty- therefore, probably ‘ours’. However, one of them called on a deeper note, with a tone that I could not quite recall. It was nothing like tootling, being a different, descending peeoo but, possibly, a Scandinavian call.

A Woodcock fled from the Dell, a Fieldfare flew over, but nothing else of note (!).

Attachments

• 041pse_edited-1sm.jpg
    041pse_edited-1sm.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 138

Users who are viewing this thread

Back