• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandpipier, Cyprus (1 Viewer)

angi-p

Here are some Sandpipers

Picture #1 taken at Lemesos and #2 + 3 at Larnaca
Is Broad-billed Sandpipers correct?

Thanks

Angi

Attachments

• IMG_9391_bearbeitet-1.jpg
    IMG_9391_bearbeitet-1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_9109_bearbeitet-1.jpg
    IMG_9109_bearbeitet-1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_9134_bearbeitet-1.jpg
    IMG_9134_bearbeitet-1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 210
1. is a Dunlin (note the remains of the black breast) and 2. and 3. are Curlew Sandpiper (note the solid white rump)

2. and 3. are Curlew Sandpiper (note the solid white rump)[/QUOTE said:
& the white uppertail coverts

Once you know... Thank you both for the input and help!

Greetings from Germany

Angi

If in 2 and 3 are the same birds, then I agree they are Curlews Sandpipers...;)

That's a good question, Christian.

I can't really say if they were the same birds because my husband was taking the photos.
It's the same beach and there were about 20 Kentish Plovers an two Sandpipers but they flew away when we arrived. Picture #3 was taken a few minutes later and focused on the Kentish Plovers. I just found them on the margin of the photo later and thought these were the same that flew away in the beginning.
Here's another picture showing the same birds as in #2

Attachments

• IMG_9110_bearbeitet-1.jpg
    IMG_9110_bearbeitet-1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 89
Agree with

1. Dunlin
2. Curlew Sandpipers
3. Broad-billed Sandpiper. The bill is too straight and has a tiny, but distinct, kink at the very tip and the rather dark, isolated ear coverts rule out Curlew Sandpiper.

Agree with

1. Dunlin
2. Curlew Sandpipers
3. Broad-billed Sandpiper. The bill is too straight and has a tiny, but distinct, kink at the very tip and the rather dark, isolated ear coverts rule out Curlew Sandpiper.

But the feathers on back, wingcoverts, mantle and scapulars don't really, IMO, fit with juvenile or winter BBS.....more like juvenile CS to me.

Third bird is a juv. Curlew Sandpiper as P. Sunesen pointed out. Additionally structure is completely wrong for BBS, but perfect for CS.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back