• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Edg 8x32 (1 Viewer)

absolut_beethoven

New to this site and like most of you did a lot of lurking and reading before deciding to join.

I was fortunate enough to buy a pair of Edg 8x32 at an excellent price recently, but I haven't received them yet. From the posted pics they appear to be the earlier version and in excellent shape, but I won't know for sure until I get them, hopefully within a couple of days.

The last expensive Nikon I looked through were the Venturers which left me most unimpressed.

I thought that I'd give these a shot for 2 main reasons. They seem to get good reviews from a variety of sources, coupled with the fact that I know I wouldn't have any difficulty getting my money back if they don't cut it for me.

Secondly, I was most impressed with the 8x36 ATB - the heavily discounted SHE version - that I bought for my daughter a few months ago. Easy on the eyes, non-critical eye placement, and quite a decent view in the sweet spot. Most of it's "sins" seem to be sins of omission, hence its pleasant and relaxing view. Exceptional value for money IMHO - about $120.

Anyhow, I'll post a mini review of the Edg's when I receive them.

Welcome to Birdforum, and congratulations on the EDG! I don't think you'll be disappointed with the optics, although I have not tried the 8x32 model.

The only concern is the focuser. Generally, the 8x32s had less problems with this defect than the full sized models, but occasionally one of the midsized models had loose focuser knobs, or a few, loose diopters (why in short order, there came the EDG II).

No worries, though. If something goes awry, Nikon will likely replace the whole binocular with an EDG II model. That's what happened to several EDG Is owned by BF members.

What was it about the Venturers that didn't impress you? Was it the 8x32 or full sized model you tried?

Glad your daughter likes the SHE ATB. Good size for her, and well, you just can't beat the matching color trim bag! :)

Btw, it kind of shocks me to learn that a Texan listens to classical music. I can only guess that you come from Austin where I'm told the music mix is more eclectic (like Willie) than the rest of the state where the radio stations are either Christian or country.

mostly_mozart

What was it about the Venturers that didn't impress you? Was it the 8x32 or full sized model you tried?

Btw, it kind of shocks me to learn that a Texan listens to classical music. I can only guess that you come from Austin where I'm told the music mix is more eclectic (like Willie) than the rest of the state where the radio stations are either Christian or country.

mostly_mozart

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

It was my first, and unfortunately only visit to B&H in NYC about 10 years ago. I compared the Nikon Venturers to the Zeiss Victory and the Swarovski EL's, all in the larger 8X42 size. The Nikons felt a lot heavier than the other two, and its distortion characteristics tired my eyes really quickly i.e. I could feel my eye/brain working too hard in order to correct for its distortions, hence it wasn't a relaxed viewing experience for me. So I dumped them from the comparison in short order.

Due to limited time, about 30 minutes, and restricted to viewing inside the store, I couldn't decide which I preferred of the other two, but both of them gave me a relaxed view and were a whole lot more comfy to hold in my small hands. Both had minor shortcomings that I noticed immediately, but not enough to spoil the view. The limited time wasn't enough for me to decide which set of shortcomings I could live with.

As a watchmaker, my eyes are looking through loupes and microscopes virtually all day, every day, so I immediately discard any bino that doesn't give me a relaxed virtually distortion free view, regardless of its other positive attributes.

As for my taste in music, I'm a recent transplant from Los Angeles after living there the past 3 decades, but I'm originally from South Africa.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

It was my first, and unfortunately only visit to B&H in NYC about 10 years ago. I compared the Nikon Venturers to the Zeiss Victory and the Swarovski EL's, all in the larger 8X42 size. The Nikons felt a lot heavier than the other two, and its distortion characteristics tired my eyes really quickly i.e. I could feel my eye/brain working too hard in order to correct for its distortions, hence it wasn't a relaxed viewing experience for me. So I dumped them from the comparison in short order.

Due to limited time, about 30 minutes, and restricted to viewing inside the store, I couldn't decide which I preferred of the other two, but both of them gave me a relaxed view and were a whole lot more comfy to hold in my small hands. Both had minor shortcomings that I noticed immediately, but not enough to spoil the view. The limited time wasn't enough for me to decide which set of shortcomings I could live with.

As a watchmaker, my eyes are looking through loupes and microscopes virtually all day, every day, so I immediately discard any bino that doesn't give me a relaxed virtually distortion free view, regardless of its other positive attributes.

As for my taste in music, I'm a recent transplant from Los Angeles after living there the past 3 decades, but I'm originally from South Africa.

Roll over Beethoven, it sounds like you experienced "rolling ball" with the 8x42 Venturer. As a fellow "rollilngballer" I feel your pain. The midsized LX/Premier models have much smoother panning characteristics.

Otherwise, I found the Venturers to have the most color saturation and contrast of any bin I had tried up to that point. They had a bit too much chromatic aberration for my eyes, though that might not have been noticeable in a store.

The EDG has even more "punch" in color and contrast and less chromatic aberration than the LX due to the ED glass, and at least at the full sized level, a good balance of distortion - not too much pincushion, just enough to stop the ball from rolling.

The open bridge on the EDG I is more comfortable for me to hold than a closed bridge roof, and yes, the Venturers were elephants. The LXL model lightened the load.

A watchmaker? Cool. I thought that profession died the day Walmart starting importing $10 watches from China. I guess people with Rolexes and Hublots still need their watches repaired.

Thought you might enjoy reading this ("Inside the Mind of a Watchmaker):

http://thehourologyreport.com/2011/03/09/inside-the-mind-of-a-watchmaker/

Ah, a transplant from LA, and originally from South Africa. Now the user name and avatar make more sense! I bet you fit in like an owl in a chicken coop.

Me, I'm a big Toby Keith fan. :) Actually, I saw him on Jon Stewart a couple years back and he really surprised me. Didn't fit the stereotype one would get from his songs, and he said he voted for Obama! Now I think he and the Dixie Chicks can kiss and make up.

Rowdy Yates

Roll over Beethoven, it sounds like you experienced "rolling ball" with the 8x42 Venturer. As a fellow "rollilngballer" I feel your pain. The midsized LX/Premier models have much smoother panning characteristics.

Rowdy Yates

It was quite a while ago so I don't remember exactly why they made me feel like my eyes/brain were working too hard in order to see through them. What I do clearly remember is that they felt very heavy to me, especially compared to the Zeiss and Swarovski. And that it felt like my eyes were straining to see through them, so I probably didn't look through them long enough in order to identify the cause cause of my discomfort.

And yes, my daughter loves both her binos and the purple/lime green case that came with them.

It was quite a while ago so I don't remember exactly why they made me feel like my eyes/brain were working too hard in order to see through them. What I do clearly remember is that they felt very heavy to me, especially compared to the Zeiss and Swarovski. And that it felt like my eyes were straining to see through them, so I probably didn't look through them long enough in order to identify the cause cause of my discomfort.

And yes, my daughter loves both her binos and the purple/lime green case that came with them.

absolut_beethoven,

Eyestrain sounds more like a collimation problem, the "rolling ball" from the low amount of pincushion in the LX/HG series can be disorienting and even nauseated for some people. The effect is as if the image is moving over the surface of a ball.

If you're susceptible to it, you will see it as soon as you pan with the binoculars. I can't say that it caused me any eyestrain, but it was certainly distracting.

The odd thing is that most people seem to adapt to it quickly, some take longer. Then there's the "rolling ballers" like me, who after a month, the bins still keep the ball rolling.

It's like the chicken experiment where they put a device on a chicken that inverts the image. At first the chicken is disoriented living in an upside down world, but in time, it adjusts to to the topsy turvy world and is able to do what it is that chickens do w/out problems. Needless to say, I would not make a good chicken. :)

I didn't realize that Beethoven drank Vodka. Thought that was Chopin:

http://www.chopinvodka.com/

minimal_ottomano

absolut_beethoven,

Eyestrain sounds more like a collimation problem, the "rolling ball" from the low amount of pincushion in the LX/HG series can be disorienting and even

As I said, I didn't look through them long enough to try and see exactly why they bothered me so much, but I don't think that it was a collimation problem as I'm quite familiar it, both from binos and microscopes that have been abused or badly adjusted.

On a positive note I received my Nikon's today. Unfortunately I don't have anything to compare them with as my Pentax 8x32 EDs are back in Los Angeles, but hopefully I should have them within a week or two.

These are the first generation Edg and are in excellent condition. Here is my mini review based on a short time with them. Keep in mind that I use my eyes critically a lot more than most people, so my criteria tend to be much more stringent too. The following review is without eyeglasses, as I only need them for driving - FWIW about -1½.

Focusing is very smooth and feels the same in both directions. I can't detect any excessive free play anywhere. I wouldn't complain if it were a tad tighter, but it'll probably tighten up in cooler weather as it's almost 80° right now.

As many other people have noted, sharpness extends almost edge to edge. The last 5% looks slightly softer and less defined than the rest of the image, i.e. the edge resolution is obviously not going to be the same as the center. Needless to say, I'm impressed as optics need to be razor sharp in order to make me a happy camper.

CA is non-existant to my eyes for most of one's normal sight picture, that is about 70% of a very generous field of view. And very slight in the last 30% with a tiny bit of pale green fringing when I look up and purple when I look down. Note than I do mean slight and that sometimes the color of the fringing changes depending on the background light and conditions. Keeping my eyes focused on the central portion of the view, but looking side to side, I couldn't detect any CA. Most impressive IMHO.

I'll have to take them out at night, or shortly after sunset, in order to comment on their brightness. Unless binos are excessively dim, it's easier to comment about the brightness in comparison to other binos, so one has a reference point.

Colors look very neutral to me. And a quick look at the bright green foliage of a tree right outside my front door - about 40 feet away - with one naked eye and the other glued to the bino, I couldn't detect any obvious differences. Other than being larger with more definition, the greens looked virtually identical. Whites and other colors will have to wait for another day :)

Parallel lines look parallel until about the 60% mark, the last 40% has very,very slight pin cushion distortion that I can see. Both looking up and down. it's almost like a 60% circle of the view is about as perfect as it can be. And then, as mentioned above, very slight anomalies can be seen. Most of which one has to make an effort in order to see in the first place. These in no way interfere with my use or enjoyment of these really outstanding binos.

On a different note Brock, I did try the Chopin potato vodka when my local liquor store had it at blow-out prices. Although rum and single malt is my preference, I do indulge in the occasional vodka, so I was curious to find out if it's really better than the Smirnoff that I usually buy. To these taste buds, only marginally smoother comparing them both straight, head to head. Unlike the Nikon Edg, definitely not worth the extra premium that one pays for it IMHO.

" ... Austin where I'm told the music mix is more eclectic (like Willie) than the rest of the state where the radio stations are either Christian or country."

What, Bob Wills ain't still the king?

There are about 20 million people in Texas. Three of the ten largest cities in the country are here. Van Cliburn is from Texas. The music schools at Baylor and Rice are two of the best in the country.

Wouldn't it stand to reason that there would be a diversity in musical taste in the state as well? I try to stick to birding matters on BF, but I did have to respond to such a crass generalization.

Let's stick to chromatic aberration and depth of field. I have Nikon LXLs, and I love them.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back