• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID from rubbish description please! (1 Viewer)

turkish van

Number 1 celebrity badger
Hi

This has been annoying me for a while because I was never quite sure...
In early summer I saw a small flock of finch-like birds on my local cycle path. It is described as a 'wildlife corridor' as it is surrounded by dense bushes like bramble etc, and small trees. There is also a smallish area with larger deciduous trees on one side. I have seen many species of birds in here before, but mainly LT, blue and great tits. I got the immediate impression of finches, mainly because of the shape and beak. They were quite plump, I'd say in between bullfinch and greenfinch, and were pale brown in colour. I don't remember any other distinctive markings except a pink beak, which is what really threw me!
I have an idea what they may have been (although it seems unlikely), but I'd like some other suggestions first please. (So that I don't make a complete fool of myself!)

Thanks

I'd agree with Jane that a likely candidate is indeed Greenfinch - young birds are basically a pale brown, rather than green and the yellow in wings and tail is not prominent.

The pink beak can be seen in this picture (but this is an adult male, hence the green colour).

Attachments

• Greenfinch-thumb.jpg
    Greenfinch-thumb.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 123
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back