• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Pair (1 Viewer)

If I was an optics company rep I wouldnt touch internet forums with a 10 ft pole.

I can't say that I can totally agree with that. Opinions from forums are going to be inevitable and on occasions will be more reliable than what comes from the companies. The problem will be determining what is valid and what is not. It will be a public relations problem for Company reps. Look at what is going on in the Zen Ray forum right now.

What is also beginning to become evident is that on technical matters, like coatings and such; without industry standards purchasers can't rely on the information published by the manufacturers without some kind of interpretive aid.

Last edited:
I can't say that I can totally agree with that. Opinions from forums are going to be inevitable and on occasions will be more reliable than what comes from the companies. The problem will be determining what is valid and what is not. It will be a public relations problem for Company reps. Look at what is going on in the Zen Ray forum right now.

What is also beginning to become evident is that on technical matters, like coatings and such; without industry standards purchasers can't rely on the information published by the manufacturers without some kind of interpretive aid.

As long as people try to use forums to bully the maker/marketer into submission, you'd be crazy to get involved in something you have no control over. In the case of zenray, the poster is now refusing to give any more info to zen since he has already said he sent it. Zen folks say we dont have the info, poster says I'm not sending it again. How would it be worse if the rep wasnt on the forum?

On the second part of industry standards. It's all catch phrases and buzz words any more. I come from a line of work where the phrase "if it aint written, it's rumor" is used way too often. You see the same in todays marketing, dont list hard specs, then if the specs change no big deal.

But for myself, I dont much care what the specs are, FMC, MC, Bk7 or BaK4, types of prism coatings, they all mean very little to me. If I like the view, I dont much care. Which may be why I prefer the Monarch 5 over the Monarch 7.

Hey Phil,

Really!

Happy campers are happy campers in any price range.

Look at the over 1100 comments here about the Sightron Blue Sky. I don't know how many of those people are as discerning as you are when it comes to reviewing binoculars but they are certainly happy with that binocular!

Now look at the 46 people who gave enthusiastic reviews of the Swarovski 8.5x42 Swarovision on the Eagle Optics website. Do you have the same opinion of their ability to review a binocular?

Have a nice holiday!

Bob

Yes, of course I do. My opinions will not change from day to day. I have way too much experience for that.

I don't know why you continue to beat a dead horse. Your statements about any particular subject carry no weight with me, so I continue to wonder why you keep trying to convince me that I should put great credence in website reviews. As I stated earlier - only a small portion of reviews are done by people who actually know how to evaluate, and how to "publish". Or to put it another way - I could not care less about how many other persons are happy about any particular binocular.........

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back