• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quick 8x32 SV Question (1 Viewer)

jgraider

How do the eyecups compare between the 8x32 and 8.5/10x42 SV's? Same size, smaller, is eye relief finicky, etc? I love the size of the 10x42 eyepieces. Thanks.

I checked mine, the 8x32 is smaller than the 10x42 SV

View attachment 550151

I have deep-set eyes, and Swarovski's eyecups fit my eye orbits better than any other bins regardless if it's the 8x32 EL, 8.5x EL, 8x30 SLC or 10x42 SLC. The cups aren't deep and they taper at the ends - a good example for other companies to follow (though Swarovski would probably sue them if they did).

Btw, nice avatar, horukuru.

<B>

There's actually not a huge difference, just a couple mm. I wear glasses and usually use the 8x32 with the cups out to the first stop. The 8.5 I use with the cups all in. In the pic, 32mm on top, 8.5 on the bottom.

Mark

Attachments

• sv's.JPG
    sv's.JPG
    291.6 KB · Views: 150
There's actually not a huge difference, just a couple mm. I wear glasses and usually use the 8x32 with the cups out to the first stop. The 8.5 I use with the cups all in. In the pic, 32mm on top, 8.5 on the bottom.

Mark

And for your next trick you will toss your bins through two burning hoops whilst juggling two skunks!!! :-O

Lee

Mark

Cool! What accounts for the difference in the armour colouring of the two bins?

HN

Hello Sako,

It started from the fact that a few years ago I bought the previous model EL, having already Ultravid. If there were no comparison, surely everything would be fine, maybe....
Unfortunately, with longer stays with EL in the fields, I came back with a sore skin around the eyes, which is not experienced with ULTRAVID.

HDvsEL.JPG

I decided to do something about it. I started to play with original Swarovski shells, trying to get optimal shape for my needs, honing eyecups manually.
It's a bit laborious, but it gives good results in the comfort of a long observation.

el.JPG

el..JPG

EL....JPG

In my newer model EL SV also used the original eyecups, to reduce their diameter, and forming a shell in the likeness of Ultravid, because this shape is optimal for me.

SV..JPG

regards

Last edited:
Cool! What accounts for the difference in the armour colouring of the two bins?

HN

HN,

As I understand it, Swarovski changed the armor formulation a few years back. I think Jan van Daalen filled in the details at the time. My 8.5 SV has the old armor, the 8x32 SV has the new.

The newer armor is a little less yellow-green (more blue-green), has less sheen and a little more grip. It strikes me as a nice improvement. That 8x32 has the best feeling armor of anything I have.

Mark

El 8x32
El SV 8.5x42
Fuji 7x50 (a third or quarter the price?)...if you're lazy you can just peruse the view from twelve inches out. My semi blind 90yo grandmother is astonished with the easy/lazy eye candy view of the fujis.

If you have massive, deepset, wide set potato eyeballs....fussy eyes....beady eyes....any eyeballs.....The Fujinon has the Godzilla of eye cup/eyepieces.

Having uttered all that nonsense....the Habichts, probably my favourite binos, have puny and fussy little eye cupsB :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
In my newer model EL SV also used the original eyecups, to reduce their diameter, and forming a shell in the likeness of Ultravid, because this shape is optimal for me.

View attachment 550641

regards

Thanks for posting that mnich. I'll try it as soon as I can obtain a spare set of eyecups.

I don't find my 8x32 SV eyecups very comfortable.

Hello Sako,

It started from the fact that a few years ago I bought the previous model EL, having already Ultravid. If there were no comparison, surely everything would be fine, maybe....
Unfortunately, with longer stays with EL in the fields, I came back with a sore skin around the eyes, which is not experienced with ULTRAVID.

View attachment 550637

I decided to do something about it. I started to play with original Swarovski shells, trying to get optimal shape for my needs, honing eyecups manually.
It's a bit laborious, but it gives good results in the comfort of a long observation.

View attachment 550639

View attachment 550638

View attachment 550640

View attachment 550641

regards

Nice job! I find Swaro eyecups comfortable, but your redesign looks even better. My chief complaint about eyecups is that most are not rounded at the edges, which makes a better fit for your eye orbits (except birders with faces like bulldogs where a flat eyecup would work just as well).

You should go into the aftermarket eyecup modification business. If I ever buy a Swaro and find the eyecups gouge my eyes after using them for long periods, I will send the eyecups to you for beveling. However, may I suggest a company name with less consonants? Mnich Aftermarket Eyecup Service is hard to pronounce. ;)

Brock

El 8x32
El SV 8.5x42
Fuji 7x50 (a third or quarter the price?)...if you're lazy you can just peruse the view from twelve inches out. My semi blind 90yo grandmother is astonished with the easy/lazy eye candy view of the fujis.

If you have massive, deepset, wide set potato eyeballs....fussy eyes....beady eyes....any eyeballs.....The Fujinon has the Godzilla of eye cup/eyepieces.

Having uttered all that nonsense....the Habichts, probably my favourite binos, have puny and fussy little eye cupsB :)

Your 90yo grandmother either must be in great shape or she must "eats her spinach" if she can hold the 3 lb+ Fujis up look enough to look through them!

You are correct about the oversized eyecups. Even though the view is alpha quality for a fraction of the price (ditto for the SE and EII), when I add in the cost of plastic surgery to have my eye orbits bored out to accommodate the eyecups, the alphas would cost less. ;)

Brock

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back