• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Quick-draw" NL eyepiece lens covers -- the answer to a prayer (1 Viewer)

Owlbarred

United States
The Problem:

I hate using eyecup (eyepiece) covers (ECC) and never use them with my 2003 ELs. The 8x42 NL tight-fitting ECCs greatly increased that loathing. Rapid viewing of a suddenly-appearing bird is confounded.

I hike 3-4 miles daily carrying binos on various trails. With ECCs removed, I was plagued by recurring sweat beads and/or tiny exhaled droplets appearing on the NL eyepiece lenses in Florida's hot, humid weather.

Important Note: Instead of a strap, I use the Rick Young harness which minimizes binocular/ECC movement when walking. The ECCs are attached with a short lanyard.

The Solution:

When walking, the objective lenses remain uncovered; the ECCs rest loosely on the NL eyecups (but still fully cover them). Only the weight and shape of the ECC holds them in place. If the binoculars are rapidly inverted, the ECCs will immediately fall downward, allowing a nearly instantaneous view through the binoculars To ensure this occurs, I put a piece of 'Gorilla tape' inside each ECC to prevent 'stiction' between the ECC and the eyecups (see photo below).

In sum, if I see a bird, in a macro second I can rapidly invert the binoculars to uncover both eyepiece lenses.

I've used this technique for 7 consecutive days, and it's now automatic, effortless, and fast. Not once have the ECCs not remained in place while hiking. The problem with sweat and exhaled droplets on the eyepiece lenses has been virtually eliminated, as has the 'on-the-spot' need for lens cleaning.

It's been an answer to a prayer for me. When done birding/hiking, I merely push the ECCs over the eyecups and put my binoculars in their carrying case.

EDIT: For quick-release ECCs on EL SVs, use 2 strips of smooth cellophane tape placed in a 'X' pattern.

7L5A8065.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back