• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Something wierd going on (1 Viewer)

HartleyHare

The birds have suddenly vanished from the garden. Lots here this morning as always. I went out for a few hours and when I got back the feeders were empty so I refilled and also put out some scones. No-one came to take them, I couldn't see any birds anywhere or hear them. They are used to the weather here, so I don't think its the wind or rain. Usually they just go into the bushes and boxes and wait it out and I can still hear them chattering amongst themselves. Its been like this for hours now. Almost total silence. I saw Mr Blackbird about half hour ago, but he didn't linger and no-one since. It's very odd. Our garden is normally full of birds and their voices. All I can hear now is the wind blowing through the trees and the wind chimes. I don't like it at all. |=(||=(| Where have all my birdies gone.

Gosh, that does seem rather strange HH.

Usually when they all go it's due to a Sparrowhawk being in the area, but that wouldn't normally last for more than 10-15 minutes or so.

I'm sure they'll all be back before too long though.

Wish mine would come back - my Blue Tits, Blackbirds and Robin have been away for days now.

It is a surprisingly common phenomenon and reassuringly I can tell you that nothing is amiss. It does not happen every year and in every garden but basically all the birds have completed their nesting cycles at the same time. It is quite common for birds to move to their preferred natural food sources once the young are fledged. Some species like the blue tit and great tit will have completed breeding for this year whereas species such as the house sparrow will be between broods. The effects can last anything from a few days to a few weeks depending on which species you normally see. The phenomenon is the same thing that leads to all human females in a household menstruating at the same time...coincidence. The trend falls out of step most years but given the fantastic number of people that put out food for birds, someone, somewhere will report the phenomenon every year. Interestingly, I was watching what were clearly newly fledged house sparrows and starlings just the other day and both would be the result of second broods. This is good news for starlings because they do not always produce a second brood unless the first brood is started early enough.

It is a surprisingly common phenomenon and reassuringly I can tell you that nothing is amiss. It does not happen every year and in every garden but basically all the birds have completed their nesting cycles at the same time. It is quite common for birds to move to their preferred natural food sources once the young are fledged. Some species like the blue tit and great tit will have completed breeding for this year whereas species such as the house sparrow will be between broods. The effects can last anything from a few days to a few weeks depending on which species you normally see. The phenomenon is the same thing that leads to all human females in a household menstruating at the same time...coincidence. The trend falls out of step most years but given the fantastic number of people that put out food for birds, someone, somewhere will report the phenomenon every year. Interestingly, I was watching what were clearly newly fledged house sparrows and starlings just the other day and both would be the result of second broods. This is good news for starlings because they do not always produce a second brood unless the first brood is started early enough.

Most of the birds here are Sparrows and there are still chicks in the nest boxes. I can hear them ( but not now ) and have seen the parents feeding them. I thought Sparrows tended to remain close to where they were born anyway ? So, why would all the fledglings have gone ? There were a couple of dozen here this morning as well the adults.

Most of the birds here are Sparrows and there are still chicks in the nest boxes. I can hear them (but not now) and have seen the parents feeding them. I thought Sparrows tended to remain close to where they were born anyway? So, why would all the fledglings have gone? There were a couple of dozen here this morning as well the adults.

Either they sensed that an earthquake was coming (something that seems to be borne out by credible observations), or they were language pedants and didn't like your spelling of 'weird'.:-O;)
MJB

Last edited:
Hi HH

I only had the Starlings eating from my feeders today - I could hear birds nearby but they remained invisible to me - spooky! :eek!:

The weather was supposed to be odd-ball where I live today - in one area there was a downpour of hailstones, and they where not small ones...along with thunder and lightening.

Maybe the muggy weather puts birds off moving about as it used up their energy...and they get tired like we do.

Regards
Kathy
x

Most of the birds here are Sparrows and there are still chicks in the nest boxes. I can hear them ( but not now ) and have seen the parents feeding them. I thought Sparrows tended to remain close to where they were born anyway ? So, why would all the fledglings have gone ? There were a couple of dozen here this morning as well the adults.

HH, you are absolutely correct about sparrows but it is a relative thing because house sparrows still have a range of one or two miles. As I said, it is mostly coincidence that accounts for the general lack of birds and two things I can predict with certainty is that they will be back and that you may never see this in your garden ever again although someone, somewhere else will.

Either they sensed that an earthquake was coming (something that seems to be borne out by credible observations), or they were language pedants and didn't like your spelling of 'weird'.:-O;)
MJB

LOL! You could be right. Maybe being grammatically correct at all times is a big thing for little sparrows. :-O

HH....how are things today? I panic at times and think the birds have all gone but they inevitably return and hope that has happened in your case?
With the scones etc and all the food you are providing, they would be silly to stay away!! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back