• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The new Sigma 150-500mm lens (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the responses. I'm inclined to go for the portability (and established reputation) of the 400 prime at present. Though I could still change my mind...

Sean

If you buy from "Kerso" on e-bay,or direct from Ian,bypassing e-bay,I think you may find that the 400f5.6 lens could be lower priced than the Sigma 150-500.Ian is always open to offers.His stock is new and does come with full warranties

I'd be amazed if Ian can sell the Canon 400 f5.6 lens for less than the Sigma 150-500mm (under £600 recently from denise.camera in Darlington on Ebay) but I'd agree he's certain to be very competitive against others on the Canon lenses and has a an excellent reputation.

I am amongst a few of us that are looking to buy a larger lens, and I had made my mind up about
a Canon 400mm prime lens. (BTW does the prime have IS) I was in the hide in Fineshade Wood
on Friday, and a guy walked in with a 150-500 Sigma, that he had been using a month and was very
pleased with it. We both took pics of the same bird, he had a 400d on the end and mine a 450d, his
pics looked much sharper than mine. I know apples and Apples I was using a 70-300 mm canon.
I am starting to wane again over which lens to choose, can someone post some pics on here for
the 400 prime, I do want sharp sharp pics, so help me make up my mind again ........
It must be the length of the Sigma lens or something ( Falix Symbol )

BTW Current price of 400mm prime from IK is £675 + postage

Last edited:
I am amongst a few of us that are looking to buy a larger lens, and I had made my mind up about
a Canon 400mm prime lens. (BTW does the prime have IS)
You mean you had made your mind up without checking if it had IS :king:
There are at least 3 Canon 400mm primes but I guess the one you are talking about is the f5.6 and this one does not have IS (the other do but are mega bucks).

Nikon Kid,
It does not suprise me in the least that the other guys pics were sharper - although your camera was marginally better, with a 500mm lens, the bird would take up far more space on the camera sensor, so is bound to look better. This is not an effective way to judge whether or not to get the prime.

If you feel you would like stabilisation and extra reach, weight isn't a problem and you want maximum versatility, the zoom is probably best.

If you want the sharper, lighter, quicker lens, go for the prime.
Its all about what approach you will be taking.

I am just diverring I know without doubt I want sharper pics, someone place a
nice sharp pic from the prime 400, so I can get the sigma out of my mind.

Nikon Kid,
Here are a couple of shots from the 400F5.6 .No,as has been mentioned no IS with this lens.But it is very light in weight,and easy to handhold.Even hand holding pointing skywards is not a problem.
I've shown this particular Swallow shot,as it shows detail in the plumage,although the shot is a little on the dark side.

Attachments

• 30th-June-169a.jpg
    30th-June-169a.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 397
  • 28th-June-009a.jpg
    28th-June-009a.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 432
A couple of lovely natural shots there Christine.

How do you rate your Canon 400 f5.6 against the Sigma 150-500 you had or are they too different to make a comparison?

Difficult question ,Martin.I prefer the 400F5.6 to the 100-400.I just think it takes much sharper shots.Albeit when I look back at some of my early shots with the 100-400 they were okay.
The Sigma is a good lens,I quite possibly did not give it a fair trial.If someone is looking for a versatile lens with this focal range,and they do not already use the Canon lenses,or have not used them,then I think this lens is a good buy.
I did take a couple of reasonable shots with the Sigma.But,as my photography skills,re settings and technique etc,are somewhat wanting at times,I am not really the best person to get the best from the Sigma.
I do know that it is a vast improvement on the earlier Sigma,was it the 175-400.
I just wonder how "Condyk" ,the BF member who purchased the lens from me,has found the quality etc.
Also,I now only use the 100-400 when away from home,and for local sports etc,it folds down into a smaller size than the 150-500.
I only purchased the Sigma,as I do not do any more digiscoping,and I just thought the extra reach would be good.

Thanks Christine. I've seen a number of excellent images from the lens now and read a wide range of good to bad reports. One thing it does seem to represent is good value for money in comparison to the 100-400 now that it's being discounted as it becomes more widely available.

I already have a 100-400 but my other has has taken an interest in wildlife photography lately and I don't get a look in lately (I've already had to buy a second camera!) so was thinking of getting another affordable zoom.

No doubt that Sigma are beginning to carve a niche and keep Canon on their toes with the new lenses.

Thanks Alan,for the link.Cannot remember "Condyks" real name,but glad he did have some good points to say re the lens.Yes,the colours were quite good.Wonder how much profit he made!!!!!

I am waiting for the Sigma 150-500mm from Warehouse Express, should be here this week sometime & Its priced at £674 (Canon fit), also you might have heard about some problem with the frames per second when attatched to the 40D. Its all been sorted out, so good news there then. Cant wait for It. Thanks.

<snip> also you might have heard about some problem with the frames per second when attatched to the 40D. Its all been sorted out <snip>

I've seen the supposed slow auto exposure demonstrated on the YouTube video but haven't heard of other problems. Could you expand on the fps issue please?

HI Martin Thomas, with regards to the FRAMES PER SECOND Issue, The Information Is taken from sigma-photo.co.jp & what It says Is this: -When the Canon 40D digital slr Is In AI SERVO AF mode & the SIGMA 150-500 or 120-400 lenses are attached to the camera with the OS function switched ON, the number of FRAMES PER SECOND will decrease. To overcome this, we (meaning Sigma) will start supplying a free-upgrade service to customers. If the SERIAL NUMBER on the 150-500mm (Canon fit) Is lower than 1007001 then It will be affected, If Its higher then It should be ok. If the serial number on the 120-400mm Is lower than 1011001 then It will be affected & so on. I myself am waiting for the 150-500 & Sigma & warehouse express have assured me that any new batch of the 150-500mm will be fixed & WONT require any upgrade... For further Info go to sigma-photo.co.jp.

Sean..

Thanks Sean.

Makes me wonder whether they know about things like this and choose to fix it after the event due to pressure to get goods into the market place.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back