• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

labored breathing white dove found. help please (1 Viewer)

MavericksMom31

we found a white dove on the side of the road. storm was coming in so my husband caught it, walked right up to it, and brought it home.
its very weak and can't stand up or sit on a perch. it just sits at the bottom of the cage, in its own poop most times. will wobble over to the food and water and at first really chowed down and drank a ton of water now not so much.
she just started this labored breathing thing and clear discharge from her nose. slight, but there. her mouth is nice and pink and i don't see anything unusual in there.
but her neck is weird looking to me. it juts out in the front. first i thought it was her crop but i think its further up and it feels more tube like. like its her trachea sticking out???
anyone know whats going on with this bird and what i can do?? there are no bird vets around here. i tried. called several numbers and no one treats them. gotta love living in the boondocks!
so i'm on my own with trying to help this bird. we've had it for about a week now. her poop looks normal to me. green and white, not runny, just typical bird poop.
i bought a dove mix bird seed. have grit in the cage for it and give fresh water daily. also change out the cage lining so she's not always sitting in the poop.
the bird has a band on its leg but i could never trace it. another series of phone calls with dead ends or more phone numbers and then they have no clue. so, again, i'm on my own with this poor thing!
any help you can suggest would be great!! thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back