• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (41 Viewers)

I'd say it was a juv Marsh tit too, they do look a bit odd in their first week or so!
You can just about make out the two tone cheek as well as a slightly glossy cap and the white cutting edge on the bill. The bib looks pretty broad too, but this seems to shrink as the bird matures.
That and the fact that we havn't had a positive sighting of Willow tit for about 5 yrs (and 3 yrs before that individual) at Strumpshaw should confirm your bird as a Marsh.
Cheers-Ben

Thanks Ben. I noticed that a Willow Tit was reported on the board at Strumpshaw on Sunday as well as Marsh Tit but I was rather sceptical about the validity of that.

Ron

Hi all,

Hoping to get to Cley for the Bluethroat tomorrow... but there has been no news so far today, does anyone know if its still singing please?

Thanks

Steph'

If you'd gone there this mornin', you'd not've got the Blues

Hoping to get to Cley for the Bluethroat tomorrow... but there has been no news so far today, does anyone know if its still singing please?

No reports of the Bluethroat, I'm afraid. No line on the Bank, either.

2 Great White Egrets flew thru Cley, this a.m., however.

Titchwell June 4th

Today’s highlights

Spoonbill – 1 on saltmarsh
Little gull – 10 1st summer on fresh marsh
Hobby – 1 over reserve
Garganey – pair on Patsy’s reedbed

Paul

A few pictures from the weekend at Cley on Sunday 2nd June. Green Hairstreak, Osprey and White-spotted Bluethroat and Birders on the East Bank.

More pictures on blog.

Penny:girl:

Attachments

• IMG_9990 crop.jpg
    IMG_9990 crop.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_9966 crop.jpg
    IMG_9966 crop.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_9849 crop.jpg
    IMG_9849 crop.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0023 crowd crop.jpg
    IMG_0023 crowd crop.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 243
Thanks Ben. I noticed that a Willow Tit was reported on the board at Strumpshaw on Sunday as well as Marsh Tit
Ron

Admittedly I rubbed it off as soon as I saw it, we tend to get regular reports from those that are probably not competent enough to appreciate the finer details of the two, as well as the reception volunteers not wanting to probe too deeply into peoples identifications. As soon as it goes on the board every Marsh tit seen is of course a Willow! I wish we did still get them but as far as I have heard from others, the Broads population is no more, so I'm not sure what chance there is of recolonisation unfortunately. Its another of the mysteries of declining species, WT's just seem to have disappeared while the management of the woodlands/carr has not changed throughout the broads.

Icterine Warbler on Blakeney Point at The Hood this morning, per a colleague who "woke up early and decided to take the day off to go birding". Not that I'm bitter...

Titchwell June 5th

Today’s highlights

Garganey – 2 on Patsy’s reedbed
Little ringed plover – 3 on fresh marsh
Little gull – 11 1st summers on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 1 on fresh marsh
Wigeon – 2 drakes on fresh marsh
Black tern – 1 over fresh marsh late afternoon
Bittern – 1 in flight over reedbed

Paul

Earlier this year we held a successful evening BirdTrack tutorial for (whisper it!) Suffolk Ornithologists' Group members in Ipswich. I'm planning to hold a similar event at the Nunnery, Thetford next month.

I'll start the evening with a brief overview of the system and how the data are used but the majority of the time will be given over to practical demonstration of / practice with the online and smartphone applications. It will be a 'bring your own laptop/smartphone' event, and there will be plenty of scope to raise any queries you may have.

If any Norfolk thread readers are interested in coming along, please PM me so that I have an idea of numbers and can put you on the circulation list.

Also coming up at the Nunnery is the OSME Summer Meeting on Saturday 6th July - lots of interesting presentations on monitoring birds in the OSME region, and it's completely free! Full programme: http://www.osme.org/#Summer_Meeting_2013

Titchwell June 6th

Today’s highlights

Black tern – 3 on fresh marsh this afternoon
Little gull – 6 on fresh marsh
Garganey – pair on Patsy’s reedbed
Red crested pochard – pair on grazing meadow pool
Spoonbill – adult on fresh marsh this morning

Paul

Apparently the first two Peregrine chicks fledged at Norwich Cathedral early this morning. They have both been located and are fine.

Ron

Last edited:
A few pictures from last Sunday:

More pictures on my blog.

Looking forward to getting out in the field this weekend:t: Hope everyone enjoys their weekend.

Penny:girl:

Attachments

• IMG_0229 crop.jpg
    IMG_0229 crop.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0333 crop.jpg
    IMG_0333 crop.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0168 crop.jpg
    IMG_0168 crop.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0185 crop.jpg
    IMG_0185 crop.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0192 crop.jpg
    IMG_0192 crop.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 76
How many birders when asked if they would like info about an unamed rare breeder would say "Oh no, please don't tell me"? I guess there are a few out there, but they are probably rarer than the rare breeders themselves. Continuing with the conceit of not naming the species in question, despite (I thought) being a well-informed local birder, I didn't learn about them until Saturday. When I spent an hour and a half at the site at least three parties of birders from outside the county passed through, and I'd put money on local guides already taking paying customers to the site. The resident official guardian named a well-known local celebrity photographer as having ignored the posted request to stay at a distance and got way too close for the birds' welfare. So, it's all very well to bemoan the leaking of information, but once it's out there it's probably best to provide clear directions so that the situation can be managed and over-enthusiastic behaviour policed, rather than risk poorly informed searchers causing unintended harm. Just saying...

Your probably right. These birds have failed, probably not helped by issues around the location itself. Good to see tour guides putting video footage on utube? Particularly as there is enough of the surrounding area in the clip to assist with identiflying the location, given a bit of local knowledge. To be fair I got told pretty early on and secrets are rarely kept that way for long! I told birding mates who travel to Norfolk each spring. I also told them where to watch without disturbance. Lets hope the birds have time to have another go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back