• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss below Terra? (1 Viewer)

Just to clarify with you Jan, when I said known for their high end stuff , I did not mean by their pricing compared to Zeiss but rather that Nikon high end series SE is more famous than their monarchs or at least to people that know to appreciate good optics. And to those that don't know like layman, Nikon has greater brand recognition than Zeiss and would be taken more seriously than the relatively unknown brand. That been said most people would always assume that the Zeiss would be a more expensive with product of the same tier level. I myself got a shock when the Nikon EDG was more expensive than the Zeiss HT.
And lastly , Please what do you mean by maybe so in the East ?
so do you think because Nikon is an Asian company we would have a bias.
For your info , If you would come over to either HK or Singapore you would see a hell alot more Leica and Zeiss equipment on the street than you would find in Europe. When I was in Europe for a month most locals were using Nikons and Canons. Most of the Leicas were used by asian tourist save one.

Hallo Joe,

I was responding on your statement that Zeiss was considered to be a lesser brand than Nikon in layman situsation.
This is absolutely not the case in Europe.
That's why I responded with..... maybe so in The East......, since your location is Singapore (great zoo) which I only know as an airportstop for a few hours on our way to Indonesia/Australia (scuba diving).

Jan

Hallo Joe,

I was responding on your statement that Zeiss was considered to be a lesser brand than Nikon in layman situsation.
This is absolutely not the case in Europe.
That's why I responded with..... maybe so in The East......, since your location is Singapore (great zoo) which I only know as an airportstop for a few hours on our way to Indonesia/Australia (scuba diving).

Jan

I did not say lesser brand . I said lesser known
Plus I have met Europeans that did not know the brand zeiss

Last edited:
Nikon not known for their higher end stuff !!!
Hahaha , which rock have you been living under.
I think the Nikon SE is a standard that most people compare with.
When the monarch first came out I was horrified that Nikon should make such a terrible product. In most cases most people would recognise Nikon rather than zeiss, in most layman situations Nikon would be thought as the better brand.

Joe,

Ehhhh, I really read here that Nikon is the better brand?

If not, I've misunderstood you.

Jan

Joe,

Ehhhh, I really read here that Nikon is the better brand?

If not, I've misunderstood you.

Jan

My bad , on that. But I meant by that is if a person which does not know Zeiss, like some people I have met, they would think the brand they recognised as the better one.
I am not sure If you get what I mean ? Or maybe I am not able to articulate what I have in mind.

My bad , on that. But I meant by that is if a person which does not know Zeiss, like some people I have met, they would think the brand they recognised as the better one.
I am not sure If you get what I mean ? Or maybe I am not able to articulate what I have in mind.

Joe

My brother-in-law is a keen photographer and for years was a 'disciple' of Nikon. More recently he changed to Canon cameras and lenses but even now he would say that the best camera systems are Canon or Nikon ( I know there are wonderful lenses and cameras from other companies too, like Leica).

But when I took him to visit my favourite binocular dealer a couple of years ago he did not want to even look through Nikon bins because he doesn't think Nikon is a binoculars company, like Zeiss, Leica and Swaro.

This is quite normal in the uk for people of a certain age: Nikon = Photography not bins. Of course some younger people are aware that Nikon also make bins, but is some ways Nikon bins are like Lexus cars here: respected by a small number of people but with a long way to go before they have a reputation as big as Z/L/S.

Lee

Joe

My brother-in-law is a keen photographer and for years was a 'disciple' of Nikon. More recently he changed to Canon cameras and lenses but even now he would say that the best camera systems are Canon or Nikon ( I know there are wonderful lenses and cameras from other companies too, like Leica).

But when I took him to visit my favourite binocular dealer a couple of years ago he did not want to even look through Nikon bins because he doesn't think Nikon is a binoculars company, like Zeiss, Leica and Swaro.

This is quite normal in the uk for people of a certain age: Nikon = Photography not bins. Of course some younger people are aware that Nikon also make bins, but is some ways Nikon bins are like Lexus cars here: respected by a small number of people but with a long way to go before they have a reputation as big as Z/L/S.

Lee

So a little like Grand Seikos in the US

Anyway , I think I have said enough and don't want this digression to continue.
Let's get back on the topic on hand, which is Jensen is teasing us with a tier above the victory.

All this is just great!

Like I need any more problems deciding on a grail bin!!! :king: I might be buying this spring...!

Leica UV HD or it's expected replacement?

Swaro SV or Zeiss HT?

Zeiss HT's new improved model????!!!!

AAAagh!

Money wise, I'm 1/3 of the way to a SV so this needs to be resolved soon!!! :t:

Cant get much worse than the terras in my opinion. Can get similar quality from a $200 pair of vortex diamondbacks.

You stick with the Vortexes (Vortices?) then.
Vortex will be delighted that you think you can't get much worse than their Diamondbacks :smoke:

Lee

Building a binocular below Terra could do nothing at all to enhance Zeiss's reputation.
I would not want such a binocular for free or I would just give it to someone who I wished eyestrain on. LOL
Leave the ultra cheap binocular offerings to Tasco and others !

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back