• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 Below $400- Nikon, Zeiss, or Kowa? (1 Viewer)

tingjunkie

a.k.a. Richard Cissel
Hello All,

I’m looking to upgrade from the 8x32 Diamondback HD. I like their light weight and wide field, but the focus wheel is really stiff in weather colder than 60F, and the “rolling ball” edge distortion bugs me enough to distract me from the nature I’m trying to enjoy.

From specs and reviews alone, I think I’ve narrowed my search to the Zeiss Terra ED, The Kowa BD II, or the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 (the older one recently replaced by the M7). I’d love to try them out myself head to head, but I don’t think any stores near me carry these models. Certainly not the Kowa. I know everyone has personal preferences, but please… my brain is about to melt from too much online research. Has anyone compared these three against each other?

Side Question: If I end up getting the Monarch 7 and the rubber housing craps out after a few years (I’ve read it often does) do you think Nikon would then replace them with the M7 under warranty?

Thank you!

I have no opinion of the Terra 8X32, never viewed one.
The Kowa is well built, has the large FOV, it handles CA well, decent resolution, however it does have noticeable distortion when panning, and the focus function is hit or miss. It is a bit lower in cost than the Nikon Monarch 7 I believe.
The Nikon is not a flat field design. I have viewed the 8X30 and have the Monarch 7 in 8 and 10X42. They do not have field flatteners and panning is a non issue. If you get a Nikon Monarch 7, buy it new - see if it works, if so register it with Nikon, if not send it back within usually a 30 day window. As an owner of the Monarch, they (Nikon) will likely replace it if it goes sour on its own - as long as it is a manufacturers defect not physical abuse. In a few years the only model they will have to replace it with will be the M7.

Good luck

Nikon 8x30 E2. The best binocular you can buy below $500.
I would second that. Add another $100 or so to the budget and get the E2. Unless you wear glasses or expect to be dropping them in streams.

The only thing I don't like about them is the carry, because they don't hang flat against your chest. I got over this by carrying them on a bandolier-style strap attached to only one of the lugs, so they hang vertically at my side. Now they work great for me, and are much better than the Monarch 7.

I'd lean in favor of the Nikon or the Kowa over the Zeiss for your choices. The EII 8x30 is high optical quality but my not be as practical as other choices.

I've used extensively the Monarch 7 8x30 (I've got two units, and each had an edge over the other in some areas, so there is a variation in QC) and also the Kowa BD XD 8x32 (mind you, the previous version), I've also used the BD XD II, but in 6,5x32, and my experience with the Terra ED is limited to the 8x25 (which for some is the best of the Terra family).

Optically, the Monarch is really addictive, it's very sharp on axis, and it has more FOV than you're probably ever going to need. After a year of regular use, my unit got a bit of patina, but nothing like I've seen on other forum members binos, which had basically crumbled down. So for me it's a clear favourite, because it has something unique: tiny size and weight. This can be important... or even a drawback for you. I use the 8x30 Monarch as a "light/trekking" unit, but I'm not 100 % if I would want it as my everyday bino. Over time, after 2 Monarch 7, I got the very similar Opticron Traveller ED 8x32, which is similar in almost every way, but (to my eyes at least) has a slightly easier view, a slightly (or not so slightly) better rubber armour, unscrewable eyecups and all in all makes for a more complete package, so that would be my vote. (Yes, they're prone to glare as you've probably read, a little less so the Traveller, but on the same league).

The Kowa BD XD, both the first and second generation make a good quality impression. I preferred the armour on the first one, the one on the new model is a bit to grainy, a bit like paper sand (so to speak), and I found the strap loops on the Kowa BD XD II 6.5 x 32 (not sure if the 8x32 shares the exact same body) were a hair too low on the body, so that it was a little annoying when grabbing them, because it's just were the softest part of the palm is, and I found it less comfortable than the 8x30 Monarch 7, here's a picture of what I mean. Left, Monarch 7 8x30, right, Kowa BD XD II 6.5 x32.

kowabdii_grip_01-jpg.721309

In my case, I opted for the Monarch because size and weight were crucial considerations for me, but otherwise the Kowa has its charms. My partner's BD XD 8x32 got 4 years of regular use before being sold. By that time the focus wheel was not as smooth as the first day (no play, just a little more grainy) and the eyecups twisted with a little more resistance. But, other than that, quality-wise (like in long term use) I think the Kowa might have and edge over the Monarch 7.

As for the Terra ED, my experience with the 8x25 is tainted by the quirks of it's diminutive size and the double hinge. However, optically they're pretty nice, the sharpness and contrast are very nice. However, comparing them to my Diamondback HD 8x32 on a cloudy day, the Vortex are noticeable brighter, but this is most likely due to the difference in lens diameter.

So out of those three, if you're OK with the tiny size (for your hands and your viewing comfort), I'd get the Monarch or (if possible) the Opticron Traveller ED 8x32.

opticron_traveller832_01-jpeg.739709

Here's a very informative thread on the Opticron (sorry to insert yet another variable in your already tangled mind!!):

I have had the Kowa and Nikon that you mention. The ergonomic differences are more significant than the optical differences. They are both quite small, but the Kowa has huge eyecups and the Nikon has medium-to-small eyecups. The Nikon probably took more getting used to than the Kowa, you can find plenty of references on here to how it is finicky or difficult to get good eye placement. Once I got used to them though, they were a delight. The focuser (in my sample size of 1) is excellent in all weather on the Nikon, but definitely feels stiffer on the Kowa as the temperature drops. Mine were still quite useable even below freezing though. The Kowa feels very dense and robust without being heavy whereas the Nikon (original version) feels extremely light with a softer armor.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, everyone.

Yes, the Opticron Travelers look very tempting as well. To add more background, I was recently hired as the city naturalist for Portland, Maine. I already have a pair of Vortex Viper 8x42 that I love for dedicated birding, so my quest for a small, rugged, waterproof 8x32 is driven by wanting to have easily portable work binoculars for all-around nature observation. I originally tried the Diamondbacks because I was looking for something that I wouldn’t be heartbroken over if they got banged up or lost/stolen during the course of my work days. As such, I just couldn’t make friends with them, so I was going to go up to the next price category. Once I hit above that $400 mark (the Opticrons are $429 everywhere), I feel like I’m losing that ability to treat them as just a tool and I’ll be babying them all the time. Perhaps it’s a silly psychological threshold, and I should just cough up the extra coin.

It’s sounding like no one has any complaints against the Kowa (except possible edge distortion), but that they may not shine as much as the Nikon optically, whereas the Nikon can be prone to armor issues and a “finicky” exit pupil/eye cups. Part of me wants to avoid the Zeiss only because they might be a bigger target for theft since that name is associated with $$$ optics.

Last edited:
…I guess I’m now wondering if the Opticrons would be worth the extra $60 over the Kowas. It’s a shame I have no where to try either one out locally.

Can anyone else comment on the edge distortion or rolling ball effect on the Kowas? I’d hate to upgrade only to find they have a similar fault to my Diamondbacks.

Here is a review of the BD II10X42 which was conducted by Henry Link, pay attention to the Distortion subsection.

…I guess I’m now wondering if the Opticrons would be worth the extra $60 over the Kowas.
In my opinion, beyond the pure optical performance and characteristics of each one (both are pretty good devices) to my eyes the Traveller and the BD II XD are aimed at different audiences. Yes, both are 8x32, both have a +8º FOV, but I'd say (especially when it comes to shape, everyday use) the Opticron is aimed at users who prioritize size and weight (like trekkers or people with reduced space), while the Kowa have a more traditional approach to size and weight. Mind you there's almost 100 g difference between them, which is a respectable % of the weight of a compact. Anyway, both are pretty light, but I'd say that they fulfill different niches, at least that's my take. The Kowa plays the wide FOV and build quality from a reputable company cards, while the Opticron is strong in weight, size and "grabbability", which could even pose a problem for people with largish hands. It might sound stupid, but these are things I'd think about. I value the optical side of any binoculars, but the "fit" is also crucial (there's an ongoing thread about that at the moment, "It's not always about the optics". Just to give you a personal example. Some time ago I was looking for my everyday "top performer", the one where I'd be putting my big money, since it was the one I'd carry more often. After ruling out the 8x32 FL and some others, I was left with the choice of Leica Ultravid HD 8x32 and Swarovski EL SV 8x32. I bought them both, both were great, I don't think you could say one was "better", since they offered a distinctly different take on what a "top level 8x32" should be. I really liked the fact that the Ultravid was so small, compact and light, but, trying it on a daily basis, it was just a bit too small for my hands, and the EL just felt better, even if the contrasty and "catchy" view of the Leica was addictive. So I kept the EL, not merely because of optical performance. In the case of the Traveller vs the BD II XD, I think since they're quite different proposals, maybe it would be reasonable to take that into consideration.

OK... pulled the trigger on the Opticron Travellers. It's tough deciding without trying them myself, but there seems to be so many glowing reviews of the Travellers out there, especially from people who own alpha glass, that it seemed the safest option. I really like the idea of their small size and weight, wide field of view, long eye relief (sometimes I wear sunglasses and don't like taking them off just to quickly check something out), and their very plain "not worth stealing" look.

Again, I have no evidence without trying them myself, but from the reviews, the Monarch 7's had me worried about the possible finicky view that requires "practice" to get right, less eye relief, and the possibility that the armor wouldn't stand up to being occasionally left in a hot car or being used daily. Yes, I can send them back under warranty if so, but I hate that feeling of waiting for the shoe to drop. The Kowas had me worried about rolling ball edge distortion, even though I like their style the most and their price was lowest. The Zeiss Terra just doesn't seem to have many cheerleaders out there who want to speak up for it, and that famous blue badge might accidentally cause my boss think he's paying me well. 😄

Thanks for the help, all! At this point, it's worth the extra $ just so I can stop obsessing online and go outside to use the darn things. If I'm really lucky, there will be a sale in the next 30 days and I can get the price adjusted to match the others I was looking at.

@tingjunkie They're a great little bino at an affordable price, IMO. Yes, there are many better devices out there, but I think the Traveller sits on the point where "better" in some areas gets quite pricey. And then, there are some other areas (like weight and size, if you value those) where improvement is hardly possible without some trade-offs. I hope they fit your face/anatomy and fulfill your expectations, because expectations can be very tricky when it comes to binoculars, I've had some positive surprises but other negative letdowns with binoculars that were hailed by many, so I'm afraid it's true: you have to try for yourself.
Enjoy!!!

UPDATE: Been using the Opticron Travellers for about a week now, and I’m thrilled with their performance. The optics are sharp and contrasty, the focus wheel is butter smooth even in cold weather, and there’s no rolling ball effect. I’ve been particularly impressed with the detail they can pull out of birds that are back lit by the Sun. If other people have had issues with glare or bright spots, I’m not seeing it. For my standards, I can’t imagine wanting or needing optics better than this in a 8x32.

Thanks again to everyone who added their experience and opinions!

@tingjunkie Reallyglad you like it, it's always difficult to recommend, since each one's eyes are different. In my case, I've recently got them back from a long term loan from a friend, and have rediscovered just how good they are, so sharp and bright, and soon so light and nimble (without being overly small). Whenever I use them for a while I always wonder whether I should sell my EL SV 8x32... The Opticron are that good, with the added benefit of their weight and size for an everyday binocular.

I would second that. Add another $100 or so to the budget and get the E2. Unless you wear glasses or expect to be dropping them in streams.

The only thing I don't like about them is the carry, because they don't hang flat against your chest. I got over this by carrying them on a bandolier-style strap attached to only one of the lugs, so they hang vertically at my side. Now they work great for me, and are much better than the Monarch 7.
I do wear glasses and was planning on using them while standing in or close to a stream. Any tips for that? :)

I do wear glasses and was planning on using them while standing in or close to a stream. Any tips for that? :)
For sub-$400 8x32s which are waterproof and have good eye relief?

I don't have much experience. I have a pair of Monarch 7 8x30, which I bought for $300-something a few years back. They're pretty good for what they are, but don't handle stray light very well. I also bought my brother a pair of Vortex Diamondback 8x32 for Christmas, and at a glance thought they were pretty good on-axis (which is where it counts most).

That's about it. I don't really buy optics in that price range anymore, but my impression is that the offerings now are a lot better than when I used to.

For sub-$400 8x32s which are waterproof and have good eye relief?

I don't have much experience. I have a pair of Monarch 7 8x30, which I bought for $300-something a few years back. They're pretty good for what they are, but don't handle stray light very well. I also bought my brother a pair of Vortex Diamondback 8x32 for Christmas, and at a glance thought they were pretty good on-axis (which is where it counts most).

That's about it. I don't really buy optics in that price range anymore, but my impression is that the offerings now are a lot better than when I used to.
Thank you for responding. I hijacked your comment because I saw a lot of comparison with what I was looking for. But it doesn't have to be sub 400 dollars. I actually started a new topic about waterproof 8x32 to get some input on models. There are a lot of models nowadays.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back