• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 HT in the future? (1 Viewer)

If I was ready to buy an elite roof bin at this point in time I'd go for the Ultravid HD 8x32 over the SV 8x32. The SV has more impressive optics, but I like UV for its tiny size and portability (it's truly compact, plus the optics are still very good). If or when I am ready to buy an alpha model someday I will look at the SV 8x32 again, the UV HD 8x32 and the new Zeiss 8x32 (if it doesn't take forever to hit the market). I share the sentiment by several posters that, while the SV is an amazing bin, it doesn't win every time since people have different tastes and preferences.

Last edited:
Lee, always the diplomat, far more measured than my response would be. It would be a shame, though, to have to point out how much better the HT 42's are than the Swarovision 42's, wouldn't it?;)

Well James, I just hate to rub it in. When you've got 'it' you don't need to shout about it. When you are unsure of yourself, you make a big noise.

Nuff said.;)

Lee

The HT's are very, very nice but the Swarovision has that much sought after edge-to-edge clarity. Top birding bin goes to Swarovision; HT for those who sally forth in search of wild game. It's a win-win for everyone.

/QUOTE]

Steady on Pilly, you are delving into fair play here o:)

Swarovisions are tremendous instruments but I don't seek edge-to-edge clarity. I've tried looking for it and if feels like I am screwing my eyeballs out of my head. To me its a meaningless attribute as I centre the subject in my FOV. I have no problem with folks to whom this is an important factor.

I have owned a Swaro EL, though it was 10 years ago, and I think they are amongst the most elegant things designed by man. I am pleased however that HTs at last mean we have a beautiful Zeiss.

I hope that you will always enjoy your Swaros as I enjoy my FLs and HTs.

Lee

PS HT beats Swarovision: easy :-O

Well James, I just hate to rub it in. When you've got 'it' you don't need to shout about it. When you are unsure of yourself, you make a big noise.

Nuff said.;)

Lee

Um, do I get a whiff of the someone with the greatest number of posts to this thread trying to justify spending all that money!

Signed - A poor Japanese binocular owner with no axe to grind.

Um, do I get a whiff of the someone with the greatest number of posts to this thread trying to justify spending all that money!

If you are referring to Troubador, you are way off as he tends to be one of this forums best mannered and self-effacing members.

Me, I tend to be a bit reactionary to inflammatory, black-white posts and should probably just go birding and ignore this board for awhile.

The HT's are very, very nice but the Swarovision has that much sought after edge-to-edge clarity. Top birding bin goes to Swarovision; HT for those who sally forth in search of wild game. It's a win-win for everyone.

/QUOTE]

Steady on Pilly, you are delving into fair play here o:)

Swarovisions are tremendous instruments but I don't seek edge-to-edge clarity. I've tried looking for it and if feels like I am screwing my eyeballs out of my head. To me its a meaningless attribute as I centre the subject in my FOV. I have no problem with folks to whom this is an important factor.

I have owned a Swaro EL, though it was 10 years ago, and I think they are amongst the most elegant things designed by man. I am pleased however that HTs at last mean we have a beautiful Zeiss.

I hope that you will always enjoy your Swaros as I enjoy my FLs and HTs.

Lee

PS HT beats Swarovision: easy :-O
Looks like Zeiss has a customer!

Hi Stanbo

Yes it does sound a bit self-satisfied doesn't it? I got a bit carried away with what I intended to be a bit of tease of our very own Pileatus, and hence included the winking smiley to show it wasn't serious.

Can anybody really justify spending £1600 - £2000 on a pair of binoculars? I'm not sure they can in absolute terms but then again it's a matter of personal choice. Some people wouldn't be seen dead in the Skoda that I drive.

And yes you can get fantastic bins for much less dosh: Conquest HD being a good example.

Don't talk down your own Japanese bins either: made in Japan is synonymous with excellent design and build quality these days.

Lee

Last edited:
... Cue for Chosen Juan to come striding in [... stamping feet ...] :king:
Fear of that was the reason for my dignified silence so far. But now I have a 2-ct piece that cannot be whacked away. In another thread we have this from Zeiss (a response to a query):
... Before the development of our dielectric prism coatings (used on the Schmidt-Pechan prisms) the Abbe Konig was slightly more efficient in transmission...it let more light reach the eye. However, our dielectric coatings are so efficient that the 8x32s actually have slightly higher transmission than the x42s. We use dielectrically coated Schmidt-Pechan prisms in the 8x32s because they allow for a shorter, more compact bino ...
While this seems to contradict their own statements about Abbe-Koenig in HT and raises questions, if this is so then an 8x32 HT can retain S-P and the compact size, with the other changes in the present HT models.

While this seems to contradict their own statements about Abbe-Koenig in HT and raises questions, if this is so then an 8x32 HT can retain S-P and the compact size, with the other changes in the present HT models.

Yes, you are right Pomp.

But I doubt if they will call it Victory HT

I am now hiding under the table, anticipating hearing the sounds of a dive-bombing CJ any minute now..........:eek!:

Lee

Hahaha gents!

I'll not be playing your "Reindeer Games" ....... o:)

Yes it will retain S-P prisms (and the compact o/all package advantages), and yes it will only have a p**fteenth better transmission (numerically) than the 95% (??) of the x32 Victory T*FL's, and yes, "surprise, surprise, surprise" ! it will be called Victory HT (although that high definition concept thingy of the T* + ABK + HT will of course bite the dust! to be replaced by some other high $ marketing technobabble) :smoke:

As you will know of course Lee, there are other tangible, and intangible, :cat: (fungible even!) benefits to using the HT glass, and the attendant design improvements to the optical train and housing ........ so yes, x32 HT = it's only a matter of time. :brains:

However, that's enough free strategic product advice for Zeiss from me, my lips are |:x| until Zeiss puts me on the book$ ...... :t:

Who knows, ..... then you'll also get a carbon fibre reinforced poly body, and a host of other goodies, and Dennis can finally grab a big enough slice of WOW! :king: that he'll strangely no longer feel a need to post here, as he will be out lookin' @stuff 24/7 !! :flyaway:

Chosun :gh:

Hahaha gents!

I'll not be playing your "Reindeer Games" ....... o:)

Yes it will retain S-P prisms (and the compact o/all package advantages), and yes it will only have a p**fteenth better transmission (numerically) than the 95% (??) of the x32 Victory T*FL's, and yes, "surprise, surprise, surprise" ! it will be called Victory HT (although that high definition concept thingy of the T* + ABK + HT will of course bite the dust! to be replaced by some other high $ marketing technobabble) :smoke:

As you will know of course Lee, there are other tangible, and intangible, :cat: (fungible even!) benefits to using the HT glass, and the attendant design improvements to the optical train and housing ........ so yes, x32 HT = it's only a matter of time. :brains:

However, that's enough free strategic product advice for Zeiss from me, my lips are |:x| until Zeiss puts me on the book$ ...... :t:

Who knows, ..... then you'll also get a carbon fibre reinforced poly body, and a host of other goodies, and Dennis can finally grab a big enough slice of WOW! :king: that he'll strangely no longer feel a need to post here, as he will be out lookin' @stuff 24/7 !! :flyaway:

Chosun :gh:

Carbon fibre optical tubes with bridge, multi-position eyecups and focus wheel all in titanium plus Schott HT glass and slim HT-style design.

And called Victory HTi.

Just in time for Christmas please :t:.
Lee

Word at the Shot Show is that an 8x32 HT will not happen... can anyone confirm this?

Hi Mac

This has been discussed many times but clearly you missed the chat.

The HT Concept that Zeiss promote as the rationale behind the HT 42mm is based on the High Transmission glass from Schott and the Abbe-Koening prisms.

AK prisms take up too much room to be used in a 32mm, so thats one leg of the HT Concept gone.

At the moment the HT glasses that Schott offers that are suitable for the more compact Schmidt-Pechan prisms used in 32mm bins don't offer enough extra light to be really considered a step forward. Thats the other leg of the HT Concept gone.

So when Zeiss personnel say there will be no 32mm HT I believe them.

But that doesn't stop Zeiss from producing a 32mm with other technical advances and called something different from HT. However I see no signs at all that Zeiss are looking at a new 32mm yet, but I do expect they will start to get their heads together on this subject during this year.

Personally I don't think we will see a new top level 32mm from Zeiss until mid to late next year but Zeiss is on fire with new product just now so I could be way off.

In the meantime Zeiss's FL 32mm series is still available and is still very competitive in performance.

Lee

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back