• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owners: How Are Your Leica Noctivids Serving You?! (3 Viewers)

Edit - here is his take of the 10x42 - again glowing about control of stray light, so why others have such problems is unknown.

http://forrest143.blog.163.com/blog/...6201318325810/

You will also see that his comments on peripheral sharpness etc. seem to dispute the notion, put forth by some, that the HT is essentially the FL with HT glass - it's easy to see in his photos how the edge characteristics and area of best sharpness have changed.

Interesting review but a bit hard to understand the Google translation of it, for instance "peripheral distortion" is translated as ...."Zhou Bian". Nevertheless its pics are worth 1000 words.

None of this ''glare'' problem gets reported for the 8x42 HT - in fact, user reports are nearly unanimously very positive for this aspect - just read the big thread - hundreds of users and only one or two report this issue. I know, from personal experience my HT is better than anything else I own or have tried. Not sure what the difference is with the 10 and 8 HT to cause such wildly divergent observations.

I have used HT 8x42 many many times on the Isle of Islay off the west of Scotland in late October and early November, almost until sundown, so with a very low sun. Glare is not an issue I associate with HT.

Lee

For myself, I'm still waiting for an 8x50/56 Noctivid

I'm also waiting for the "next" Noctivid. However, in my case it's a 32mm Noctivid, with a weight < 700 gr. 860 gr. is a bit much for my purposes. I'm in Norway at the moment, and when hiking longer distances in the fjells, often in somewhat difficult terrain, I find heavier binoculars put too much strain on my neck. I'd really like an 8x32 Noctivid, possibly even a 10x32, since I don't usually carry a scope in the mountains. Too much weight.

That said, the 8x42 Noctivid and the 10x42 Noctivid are really excellent from what I've seen so far, even though the image is a bit on the warm side for my liking.

Hermann

Last edited:
I have used HT 8x42 many many times on the Isle of Islay off the west of Scotland in late October and early November, almost until sundown, so with a very low sun. Glare is not an issue I associate with HT.

In a direct comparison the Noctivid is in a different class altogether though. The HT is already very good, the Noctivid is better. A lot better.

Hermann

In a direct comparison the Noctivid is in a different class altogether though. The HT is already very good, the Noctivid is better. A lot better.

Hermann

A good sample of the HT in a technical sense is very hard to beat. I found the viewing comfort in the Ultravids better though. Probably the wider stereo base in the HT does not help in this. And it could well be QC is better in the Noctivids than in the HTs...

I also care about the weight issue, so went with the latest Ultravid 7x42. I like the 7x42 so much that I will give Zeiss a last chance and ordered a new FL 7x42 for comparison. Hermann, have you tried that one? 750g... yeah, but not a Leica.

I love the Leica approach but why don´t we get Perger porro for the utmost quality in nature observation? Because, for example, only towards the end of the blue hour does my Habicht 8x30 get darker than the 7x42 Ultravid.

Hello,

A week ago, in Barcelona, I had the opportunity to compare my Zeiss HT 10x42 with a Leica Noctivid 10x42. I was interested, mainly, in the veiling glare control of the Noctivid, mentioned by almost all their users.
Well, the Noctivid really impressed me with the incredible veiling glare control!!!! I, with the shop owner at my side, looked at trees and buildings edges with the sun almost in front. The Zeiss HT showed a very notable and disturbing veiling glare, that "milky" veil in the image. The Leica NV showed almost nothing of a veil. NOTHING!!!! It is a very important feature in a binocular!!!! Looking from the front, all the rings and ribs inside the Leica tubes are totally non reflecting. The HT, on the contrary, shows rings with a very bright surfaces, innaceptable to me. And, also, the HT prism reflect the sun light back to the front. When looking into the NV, ALL IS DARK AND NON REFLECTING!!!!!
About the other optical caracteristics, looking away of the sun, I cannot see differences between both binoculars. The colours and contrast were very simmilar. As a result, the details resolution or "sharpness" were also comparable. The ergonomic design is, to me, much, much better in the Zeiss HT. May be, to me, the best designed binocular in this respect, along the Zeiss SF.
I don´t understand why Zeiss (and Swarovski by the way) did not worked in the control of the glare in their binoculars...It can be a major issue in some difficult light situation, very common in the field....

PHA

Glare control as everything else is a difficult trade off business. And needs to be compared in many situations. I strongly believe there is "overbaffling" in some glasses (e.g. Ultravid 8x32, Nikon EDGs).

Very tight baffling seems to decrease viewing comfort. Swarovski goes for best viewing comfort by weak baffling - see SV 8x32 - and accepts more flare as a trade off. Zeiss has another approach. They are not stupid, but have different priorities. We have a lot of choices and both Swarovski and Zeiss are very successful with their products.

I suspect the NV does not excel in brightness...

Right now is sunset and I am with my daughter viewing the head of a type of giant tall palm (not sure what type) with fruit. I've taken a very poor photo with dull flat light, so It doesn't come across in the photo well, but the head of this palm is huge and sustains a small ecosystem of plants, ferns, fruit, birds and nests which are all totally inaccessible to humans and other animals. It is mid winter here so the palm is dry. Please excuse the terrible photo but hopefully this can give some idea of the viewing scenario.

We are viewing through the NV 8x and the 8.5SV.

Attachments

• IMG_3101.jpg
    IMG_3101.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Right now is sunset and I am with my daughter viewing the head of a type of giant tall palm (not sure what type) with fruit. I've taken a very poor photo with dull flat light, so It doesn't come across in the photo well, but the head of this palm is huge and sustains a small ecosystem of plants, ferns, fruit, birds and nests which are all totally inaccessible to humans and other animals. It is mid winter here so the palm is dry. Please excuse the terrible photo but hopefully this can give some idea of the viewing scenario.

We are viewing through the NV 8x and the 8.5SV.

Errrrmm, what did you see Ratty? You seem to have stopped in mid-story.

Lee

Errrrmm, what did you see Ratty? You seem to have stopped in mid-story.

Lee

What I simply wanted to know were the impressions of my daughter looking with her pristine eyes at the leaves on this palm through the Noctivid and Swarovski.

All she knows is that there is a green binocular and a black binocular and I have (long ago) taught her how to use binoculars properly. Here is her very brief feedback when I asked her to specifically observe the leaves. I tried not to be suggestive and I used no jargon or terminology. What follows is the word for word feedback I received -

First (unhurried) look through NV: 'ok I have a nice view now'.

First (unhurried) look through SV: 'ok, I made everything very sharp'
Rathaus asks: how do the leaves look?'
Direct answer: 'I can't really see how the leaves overlap, they kind of blend in with each other'

Second look NV: 'I can easily see the leaves weaving now'

Second look SV: 'it looks flat, I can't really see the weaving and overlapping'

Third look NV: 'this one is better...can we play totem tennis now?'

I'm not suggesting this is in any way definitive. It is just another person's very simple observation.
However, I was not surprised, as this is exactly what I observed as well.

Rathaus

Last edited:
Glare control as everything else is a difficult trade off business. And needs to be compared in many situations. I strongly believe there is "overbaffling" in some glasses (e.g. Ultravid 8x32, Nikon EDGs).

Very tight baffling seems to decrease viewing comfort. Swarovski goes for best viewing comfort by weak baffling - see SV 8x32 - and accepts more flare as a trade off. Zeiss has another approach. They are not stupid, but have different priorities. We have a lot of choices and both Swarovski and Zeiss are very successful with their products.

I suspect the NV does not excel in brightness...

Hi Tobias,

I don't think a properly placed baffle effects viewing comfort, but a tight baffle placed too far behind a reflection at the edge of the objective can cause excessive vignetting from being laterally displaced by slight lateral pupil movements. Perhaps that's the kind of viewing discomfort you mean. The solution is to place the baffle just behind the objective so that its aperture and the objective aperture remain well aligned regardless of lateral pupil movement.

Large exit pupils can cover a lot of baffling sins by causing the reflections from the exit pupil edge to fall on the iris rather than entering the pupil of the eye. Visible vignetting is also minimized because the eye's small entrance pupil remains within the clear aperture of the large exit pupil even when it is vignetted. Almost any 7x42 should be relatively glare free and unvignetted during the day, whether it's underbaffled or overbaffled. There's no such margin for error in an 8x30/32.

Henry

Hi Tobias,

I don't think a properly placed baffle effects viewing comfort, but a tight baffle placed too far behind a reflection at the edge of the objective can cause excessive vignetting from being laterally displaced by slight lateral pupil movements. Perhaps that's the kind of viewing discomfort you mean. The solution is to place the baffle just behind the objective so that its aperture and the objective aperture remain well aligned regardless of lateral pupil movement.

Large exit pupils can cover a lot of baffling sins by causing the reflections from the exit pupil edge to fall on the iris rather than entering the pupil of the eye. Visible vignetting is also minimized because the eye's small entrance pupil remains within the clear aperture of the large exit pupil even when it is vignetted. Almost any 7x42 should be relatively glare free and unvignetted during the day, whether it's underbaffled or overbaffled. There's no such margin for error in an 8x30/32.

Henry

Nice explanation Henry, thank you.

Lee

What I simply wanted to know were the impressions of my daughter looking with her pristine eyes at the leaves on this palm through the Noctivid and Swarovski.

All she knows is that there is a green binocular and a black binocular and I have (long ago) taught her how to use binoculars properly. Here is her very brief feedback when I asked her to specifically observe the leaves. I tried not to be suggestive and I used no jargon or terminology. What follows is the word for word feedback I received -

First (unhurried) look through NV: 'ok I have a nice view now'.

First (unhurried) look through SV: 'ok, I made everything very sharp'
Rathaus asks: how do the leaves look?'
Direct answer: 'I can't really see how the leaves overlap, they kind of blend in with each other'

Second look NV: 'I can easily see the leaves weaving now'

Second look SV: 'it looks flat, I can't really see the weaving and overlapping'

Third look NV: 'this one is better...can we play totem tennis now?'

I'm not suggesting this is in any way definitive. It is just another person's very simple observation.
However, I was not surprised, as this is exactly what I observed as well.

Rathaus

Rathaus,

This kind of subjective report is more meaningful to me than most, and comes closer to what a psychologist would try to do in a behavioral laboratory, i.e., use naive observers, control the stimulus, and avoid giving them a response bias. Very good. :t:

Ed

Last edited:
Rathaus,

This kind of subjective report is more meaningful to me than most, and comes closer to what a psychologist would try to do in a behavioral laboratory, i.e., use naive observers, control the stimulus, and avoid giving them a response bias. Very good. :t:

Ed

Thanks Ed,

Obviously a genetic or biological bias is a possibility, but this is impossibly complex to decipher. If we proceed with conjecture, Is it possible that we may both share a particular 'compatibility' with the Noctivid due to similarities in our eye structure and visual cortex etc?

I will just add that after (and during) our viewing session, I gave my daughter no known visible or auditory feedback on her observations either. We moved quickly onto totem tennis. I wanted to minimise future response bias should I require her viewing impressions again, which I will.

This is nothing new to me. In a detached manner I have utilised my daughter's viewing impressions on many occasions. She has no attachment to any of the binoculars and shows no interest (at this stage) in meaningfully identifying their brand or specification.

Rathaus

Last edited:
Hello,

It happens to me, sometimes, with things, in this case binoculars, I try to "like" something because it is the one I have. Or because I selected because is really good. It is difficult, in a certain way, to accept there is another better. Or with a property the first doesn't has. I would love MY Zeiss HT would be so good as the NV in this VG control! Would be the Perfect Binocular!!! Well, we are comparing top end binoculars, guys!!! in a high end binocular like those (HT,NV and SV) the optics are extremely good!! But , to me, the veiling glare control is one of the features most critical and most desirable for field uses, all other the same!
I don't like the handling of the NV as much as the HT's, the most confortable binocular in my hands!!! I will not go in a rush to buy a NV...yet...and, if I go, for sure I will keep my HTs!!!

PHA

Last edited:
Hi Tobias,

Henry

Henry, great explanation, another post from you I put in my collection of binocular wisdom...

Hi Tobias,

Henry

Hi Henry,

I see this as a very good explanation...Thank you!

PHA

In a previous post I told you about the chromatic aberation that I see in my Noctivid 8X42 when I watch a dark bird in the sky.In fact the chromatic aberation appears when the subject comes out of the axis of my observation.So I have to follow the subject precisely if I do not want to see this yellow fringe appear.Worse than in other Leica 8X bins. Has anyone encountered this type of problem with the Noctivid? I don't think it is flare. Thanks.

In a previous post I told you about the chromatic aberation that I see in my Noctivid 8X42 when I watch a dark bird in the sky.In fact the chromatic aberation appears when the subject comes out of the axis of my observation.So I have to follow the subject precisely if I do not want to see this yellow fringe appear.Worse than in other Leica 8X bins. Has anyone encountered this type of problem with the Noctivid? I don't think it is flare. Thanks.

Apuapu,

I have no problem with CA.

Do you wear spectacles while viewing? I've often wondered what role they play in CA.

Rathaus

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back