• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to sell your Leica NOCTIVID ... ? (1 Viewer)

spiralcoil

Greetings,

Very often seeing members in Birdforum mentioned that they were selling or sold their binoculars, I wonder where and how do you sell your binocular?
Because I am thinking to sell my Leica 8x42 Noctivid, than to replace with the 8x42 NL Pure... ?

Greetings,

Very often seeing members in Birdforum mentioned that they were selling or sold their binoculars, I wonder where and how do you sell your binocular?
Because I am thinking to sell my Leica 8x42 Noctivid, than to replace with the 8x42 NL Pure... ?
probably in the sales section with a selling price

Yes, the classifieds here at Birdforum are a great place to start. I've bought and sold many binoculars and always had very good experiences, both as buyer and seller. With Ebay you have (depending on the item) a warranty, so if something goes wrong (say, it was a scam, you pay but got nothing) Ebay will give you your money back (but then, Ebay usually charges a 10 % fee plus some other percentage for dealing with the payment, it was formerly done by Paypal, but now Ebay does it all, and charges it). This is obviously something you don't have here, since this is just a board with ads, and, as a buyer, you basically trust the good will of forum members. However, since you can trace the history and posts of members, you can more or less have an idea of who can be trustworthy (probably not someone whose first post is an ad with a suspicious price). In short, if I were you, I'd try selling it here with confidence. I understand you live in the US, that's good because there's a great number of forum members from that side of the Pond. Nevertheless, I've bought and sold binoculars to/from the US being here in Spain, so in any case it's worth a try.

As for the price, I'm afraid I can't help you a lot there, other than checking the prices in the US. I see a brand new Noctivid is usually to be found somewhere north of 2500 USD (over here in Europe I've seen some prices lower than 2000 €), so I guess you can do some "depreciation maths". It's a model that doesn't seem to come up very easily, so that can work in your favour.

Then you might want to consider if you include the shipping cost (that can make it more attractive), Paypal fees (if there are any) or some other way to offer something special.
Good luck!

Yes, the classifieds here at Birdforum are a great place to start. I've bought and sold many binoculars and always had very good experiences, both as buyer and seller. With Ebay you have (depending on the item) a warranty, so if something goes wrong (say, it was a scam, you pay but got nothing) Ebay will give you your money back (but then, Ebay usually charges a 10 % fee plus some other percentage for dealing with the payment, it was formerly done by Paypal, but now Ebay does it all, and charges it). This is obviously something you don't have here, since this is just a board with ads, and, as a buyer, you basically trust the good will of forum members. However, since you can trace the history and posts of members, you can more or less have an idea of who can be trustworthy (probably not someone whose first post is an ad with a suspicious price). In short, if I were you, I'd try selling it here with confidence. I understand you live in the US, that's good because there's a great number of forum members from that side of the Pond. Nevertheless, I've bought and sold binoculars to/from the US being here in Spain, so in any case it's worth a try.

As for the price, I'm afraid I can't help you a lot there, other than checking the prices in the US. I see a brand new Noctivid is usually to be found somewhere north of 2500 USD (over here in Europe I've seen some prices lower than 2000 €), so I guess you can do some "depreciation maths". It's a model that doesn't seem to come up very easily, so that can work in your favour.

Then you might want to consider if you include the shipping cost (that can make it more attractive), Paypal fees (if there are any) or some other way to offer something special.
Good luck!
Thank you so much 🙏 🙏 .

Seems gradually that I see the 8x42 NV vs 8x42 NL issue is really rest in one area for me, the 18% FOV difference, while all other areas are basically no real advantages towards each other between the two models... (beside the FOV, in fact the NV has it's own strength or advantage against the NL too...) that I'd like to try or to have, since in many cases I use for pictorial type of viewing...

For sale pricing I'll search old classified posts here and Sold listings on eBay. I'll also used classifieds at Rokslide, a hunting forum mainly geared towards western US ungulate hunting, although for bins they prefer 10x, 12x and 15x.

Astromart and Cloudy Nights are also forums with B&S classifieds.

$175 is my final offer.

I would never sell an 8x42 Noctivid for an 8x42 Swarovski Pure. And I’ve compared them.
Matter of taste. I find it hard to use any binoculars after the NL Pure (except the Zeiss SF). Wide field and very low AC are perfect for me. I also prefer their handling.
And I'm a Leica fan.
I did not compare with the Noctivid yet but this is really a matter of preferences so maybe spiralcoil should tell us why he wants to change.

Matter of taste. I find it hard to use any binoculars after the NL Pure (except the Zeiss SF). Wide field and very low AC are perfect for me. I also prefer their handling.
And I'm a Leica fan.
I did not compare with the Noctivid yet but this is really a matter of preferences so maybe spiralcoil should tell us why he wants to change.
Without a NL 8x42 on hand to do a actual comparison with my NV 8x42, I would say "the reason" is the much wider FOV figure...

If you can, you should try the NL 8x42. Maybe you can order it and return it? Because the wider FOV is a matter of taste too.

Agree 100% with this. Not sure if this is possible for you, but I would also recommend buying one to compare to your Noctivids / to test out for a few days, so long as you can return it for a full refund if desired. I greatly preferred the optics and ergonomics of NL Pure to the Noctivid (compared the 10x models), but you might find the differences too minor to justify the additional expense.

Agree 100% with this. Not sure if this is possible for you, but I would also recommend buying one to compare to your Noctivids / to test out for a few days, so long as you can return it for a full refund if desired. I greatly preferred the optics and ergonomics of NL Pure to the Noctivid (compared the 10x models), but you might find the differences too minor to justify the additional expense.
Thanks for the suggestion, but will not be able to compare with a new NL. By the way, did you find your NL Pure is somewhat larger in overall sizes than your Noctivid?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back