• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (128 Viewers)

Not wishing to play down the use of use of tapes, but i would suggest that new planning laws will have greater negative inpact on wildlife?

I think at this stage, it would be better to say 'may have', because from what I've been able to read, there appears to be the opportunity for conservation bodies not only to make a case, but for that case to be heard. That said, I'm not going to put any money on the implementation of the laws being as proposed, for the laws are very wide in scope...

Greg Clark isn't yet tarnished by political opportunism; the Guardian blog at http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/blog/2012/mar/27/planning-system-reforms-live-coverage gives an idea of the complexity involved. Clearly, there will be aspects that the laws fail to address, often for a lack of understanding of the definition of such words as 'sustainable'.
MJB

Last edited:
This afternoon I had a Little ringed plover over the marsh before landing alone. Possibly another in among the vegetation but I was only unable to stay around as bank was calling!
Once again I'll be busy this weekend so if any one pops down to Thorpe and sees anything Over next two days please let me know, cheers.
Shaky

No sign of LRP's Saturday morning , Willow warbler, bullfinch and redpolls in willows towards the Bungalow lane end.

No sign of LRP's Saturday morning , Willow warbler, bullfinch and redpolls in willows towards the Bungalow lane end.
That's great selection of birds to have seen buddy. I've still to have seen ( heard along the railway line few times) a bullfinch and haven't heard the willow warbler yet. Out of curiousity how far down bungalow lane were they? Only I never pass over the railway crossing when coming from the river end .
Thanks again for info,
Shaky

Thorpe Marshes near Norwich circular walk

That's great selection of birds to have seen buddy. I've still to have seen ( heard along the railway line few times) a bullfinch and haven't heard the willow warbler yet. Out of curiousity how far down bungalow lane were they? Only I never pass over the railway crossing when coming from the river end .
Thanks again for info,
Shaky

On 24 Feb I saw two bullfinches north of the railway from Common Lane which runs behind the houses and parish cemetery on Yarmouth Road, driectly north of Thorpe Marshes.

I did a circuit from the railway footbridge, to the river and back over the bungalow lane railway level crossing. Under the Sheringham line railway bridge and then immediately left along the Common Lane path back to the Yarmouth road just east of the Thunder Lane lights.

On 24 Feb I saw two bullfinches north of the railway from Common Lane which runs behind the houses and parish cemetery on Yarmouth Road, driectly north of Thorpe Marshes.

I did a circuit from the railway footbridge, to the river and back over the bungalow lane railway level crossing. Under the Sheringham line railway bridge and then immediately left along the Common Lane path back to the Yarmouth road just east of the Thunder Lane lights.
That's nice detailed directions Paul. I've not been down common lane before so il check that out next visit and hopefully get me much loved Bullfinch!
Much appreciated :)
Shaky

Highlights of the day were 1 House Martin over the Titchwell RSPB carpark this afternoon at 3.40pm. 36 Sandwich Terns going west from 5.45pm to 6.45pm at Coastguards, Cley.

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Regular, but never seen in more than a single figure in any one year

Stultus mensis singing loudly at an undisclosed location in Sheringham, this morning.

I had briefly wondered if it was early; in fact, it is bang on time !

No talk of Nidum crabrones so far, today.

Last edited:
Thanks again for info,
Shaky

The willow warbler,bullfinch and redpolls were on the river side of the railway line in the willows before you get to the stile were you turn to walk out to the pits.

Red Kites still on the move today (or resident!?) over Holkham Freshmarsh about an hour ago. Also one distantly over Burnham Overy
Also Blackcap, Cettis (seen!) and 15+ Chiffchaff...

A Med Gull flew west, past my window this morning. Much later, I heard and then saw another, over Cley Spy.

Gramboro’ gave a lovely male Reed Bunting, flicking about in the grass, presumably looking for seeds. If these were rare, we’d rave over them.

Walsey had singing Chiffchaff, calling Blackcap, quite a few Bee-flies, Tawny Mining Bees, a Small Tortoiseshell and 2 Peacocks.

No sign of the rare seabirds (why only these?), reported on another thread which, in April, Fuels a certain amount of hilarity. Interestingly, the word ‘hilarity’ is derived from the Roman feast hilaria, on which games and other amusements were permitted.

Attachments

• 047pse.jpg
    047pse.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 062pse.jpg
    062pse.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 46

Users who are viewing this thread

Back