• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (113 Viewers)

A nice adult Yellow-legged Gull on my patch at Costessey House Private Estate this evening, in one of the currently flooded fields with a group of Lesser Black Backed Gulls. 2 Little Owls have also been around and seem to be using the barn opposite the cottage, though they have only arrived in the last few days.

Joseph

Excellent Joseph! Nice find.

not birds hope you don't mind

Slightly off topic but hope you don't mind...

I managed to photograph the Aurora Borealis on Sunday night/Monday morning from Cley visitor centre car park, photo attached and more on my blog

Didn't actually see a huge amount, but the photos are pretty much as I took them. It took 3 minute exposures to bring out this much so you can imagine what it was like with naked eye!

Popped down Cley beach this evening as the sunset looked like was going to be pretty good following thunderstorm and it certainly was.

The sun was setting to the west and the thunderstorm was raging some distance in the east, a few photos attached.

Will try to add some avian content next time!

Attachments

• Aurora_Northern_Lights_Cley_Norfolk_Brian_Egan_Photography-9.jpg
    Aurora_Northern_Lights_Cley_Norfolk_Brian_Egan_Photography-9.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 232
  • Cley_Beach_2012-07-18.jpg
    Cley_Beach_2012-07-18.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 178
  • Cley_Beach_2012-07-18-2.jpg
    Cley_Beach_2012-07-18-2.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Cley_Beach_2012-07-18-3.jpg
    Cley_Beach_2012-07-18-3.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Aurora Borealis from Cley visitor centre

sunset looked like was going to be pretty good following thunderstorm and it certainly was.

The sun was setting to the west and the thunderstorm was raging some distance in the east, a few photos attached.
--------------------------------------------------

Awesome and Spectacular photos.

Thank you

Graham Martin

Caspian Tern

This is one mobile bird !
Yesterday it was at Buckenham until 5.10pm
Breydon - 7.14pm - 7.37pm
Strumpshaw - 8.05pm - 8.10pm
back at Breydon - 8.55pm

28 minutes from breydon to buckenham, then 45 minutes back again, an impressive beast, appears to be ringed as well ?

Caspian

Good to catch up with the Caspian on my daily walk: jammed in at Buckenham around 10.00am Nice Barn Owl at the windpump, plus Hobby, Buzzard and Gatekeeper!
Also good to meet the Squire of Attleborough, Mick Saunt, who amazed (and gripped me!) by saying he had Yellow Wag and Woodlark on his garden list! Makes my Turtles look a bit ordinary!

Attachments

• Caspian.jpg
    Caspian.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Caspian2.jpg
    Caspian2.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Barn Owl.jpg
    Barn Owl.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 99
Mobility of Caspian

This is one mobile bird !
Yesterday it was at Buckenham until 5.10pm
Breydon - 7.14pm - 7.37pm
Strumpshaw - 8.05pm - 8.10pm
back at Breydon - 8.55pm

28 minutes from breydon to buckenham, then 45 minutes back again, an impressive beast, appears to be ringed as well ?

It was at Buckenham until 11.45, when it flew off north-east, towards Cantley and Breydon, then not seen again here until 13.20, flying along the river from the Breydon direction. Could this behaviour be a regular feeding trip, explaining its regular disappearances from Strumpshaw/Buckenham? Seems you need patience!!

Slightly off topic but hope you don't mind...

I managed to photograph the Aurora Borealis on Sunday night/Monday morning from Cley visitor centre car park, photo attached.

Didn't actually see a huge amount, but the photos are pretty much as I took them. It took 3 minute exposures to bring out this much so you can imagine what it was like with naked eye!

Popped down Cley beach this evening as the sunset looked like was going to be pretty good following thunderstorm and it certainly was.

Will try to add some avian content next time!

Not only does a Caspian Tern turn (or tern) up while I am working but now I have to suffer your incredible pictures of an event I have always longed to see :t:
Fantastic photos, Brian.

Not only does a Caspian Tern turn (or tern) up while I am working but now I have to suffer your incredible pictures of an event I have always longed to see :t:
Fantastic photos, Brian.

Don't worry there wasn't much visible to the naked eye.

This is the first time I have been gripped off by my own photos |:d|

Good to catch up with the Caspian on my daily walk: jammed in at Buckenham around 10.00am Nice Barn Owl at the windpump, plus Hobby, Buzzard and Gatekeeper!
Also good to meet the Squire of Attleborough, Mick Saunt, who amazed (and gripped me!) by saying he had Yellow Wag and Woodlark on his garden list! Makes my Turtles look a bit ordinary!

But still waiting for Turtle Dove...........

But still waiting for Turtle Dove...........

Saw one in Norwich on Wednesday. Carrying out a survey in Anson Road, on the Airport Industrial Estate, I noticed it in one of the adjacent yards!

We also have a pair that visit our construction yard in Bergh Apton. I heard their gentle purring in the adjacent woodland for several days until eventually they visited us to feed on the bird seed that we put out. They've been back several times since!

Last edited:
1 Spoonbill became 2 at Stiffkey Fen this afternoon with a juvenile and adult present.
Quite a few Med Gulls around as well.
Pictures to follow on the blog, both of them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back