• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

100 Birds of Barbados photo Challenge (6 Viewers)

Good for you. I am yet to see any parrot/parakeet species in Barbados (obviously I do not spend a lot of time there ...)

Niels

thank Niels - bird #55 should be of great interest to you I am getting the information on it together should have it up this week. ty

Birds numbers 53-55 are now posted. #55 is a first record for the Island of Barbados and the fourth for the Eastern Caribbean

I've been following this from afar and I'm impressed you got to 82! Some nice birds. No Black Swift I see - I thought they bred on the island?

I am curious about the answer to the status on Barbados too! I think of Black swift as a species found in mountains near waterfalls, while Barbados is relatively flat.

Edit: found this in Neotropical Birds Online
Breeding was confirmed in Cuba in 2009 (Espin and Rivera 2010). Considered a common breeding resident April through September in Guadeloupe, Dominica, and Martinique; and uncommon in Puerto Rico, St. Lucia, and St. Vincent; rare on Montserrat, Barbados, and Grenada (Raffaele et al. 2003).

They do not quote the Barbados checklist, which may have more details.

Niels

I've been following this from afar and I'm impressed you got to 82! Some nice birds. No Black Swift I see - I thought they bred on the island?
Hi James thanks for following my blog - while I have Black Swift in my year count it was very hard to get a usable photograph of one. My year count total was 90 species I will post them on the blog for you to see

I am curious about the answer to the status on Barbados too! I think of Black swift as a species found in mountains near waterfalls, while Barbados is relatively flat.

Edit: found this in Neotropical Birds Online

They do not quote the Barbados checklist, which may have more details.

Niels
Black Swift do breed in Barbados at one location. It a sea cliff called Bell Point in the North of the island.

Last edited:
Wow, Common Shelduck is a ridiculous record.
The National Geographic Guide calls it "common in North American zoos and private collections", but that's still a long way to travel.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back