• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

12X42 NL Pure resale value (1 Viewer)

SuperDuty

United States
The pair of these I had I couldn’t move on here at $2925, they were new and I still had the option to return them, so that’s what I did, I’m thinking about buying another pair and was wondering what they would readily bring if I needed to sell them at some point in the next two or three years ? In pristine condition.

That wasn’t an answer to my question, why respond with nonsense, I wanted to know if anyone had an idea what they will readily sell for, that’s the only answer I need.

Based on what my NL 12x42 sold for and what used NL 12x42's are selling for on eBay, I would say about $2500. You can get them new for $2700 at Teleskop-express. They ship DHL and have excellent service.

Last edited:
Why don't you buy one used if you are going to keep it. It is diifficult to know what they will sell for in a couple years, a dollar with less value, the economy. Currently they are selling at 2,500 to 2,900 some even less depending how desperate the seller is for cash.
If I could find a good used pair for $2400-$2500 I definitely would.

Last edited:
Out of Germany ?
Yes, they are an excellent seller, though. I have bought several Swarovski's from them before. Shipping is about $40.00 for DHL and no tax. You don't get the US warranty, but I don't care because I would rather save $700 upfront and I just self insure if something happens to them. I haven't used a warranty on binoculars in 20 years. I used to get the 42 mm NL's from Varuste.net in Finland for $2500, but they raised all their prices now to retail.

If I could find a good used pair for $2400-$2500 I definitely would.
May I ask why you gave back the NL’s that you now want to buy?

I’d be careful about buying Swaro overseas considering some of the issues with the armor lately, if it’s not covered by warranty and you get one that the armor disintegrates, it may cost you more than you saved.

Paul

May I ask why you gave back the NL’s that you now want to buy?

I’d be careful about buying Swaro overseas considering some of the issues with the armor lately, if it’s not covered by warranty and you get one that the armor disintegrates, it may cost you more than you saved.

Paul
I didn’t get much of a chance to look at the one I had for 15 days trial, I liked what I saw, but wasn’t totally sure about spending $3000 since I own the 10X42 FP, I’ve since decided I want both models, simple as that.

Im under the impression SwaroNA wouldn't care these were bought in Germany, etc. Is that wrong?
Good question, I really don’t know the answer for sure, but with their excellent reputation, I suspect you’re right. That said, I don’t mind paying a little more to buy from my local dealer who’s always got my back.

Good question, I really don’t know the answer for sure, but with their excellent reputation, I suspect you’re right. That said, I don’t mind paying a little more to buy from my local dealer who’s always got my back.
$700 is more than a little more to me! I would just as soon put it in my bank account and self insure. I have never had to use it either, especially with Swarovski's. Plus, if you get an NL 42 mm for $2500 you don't take such a huge hit on depreciation if you resell them. I bought my NL 10x42 for $2500 and sold it for $2500 in one day. People couldn't care less if it's gray market when they get a brand-new NL 10x42 for $2500.

Last edited:
I lost about £400 from my sale of my NL, mainly I wanted a quick sale, I had an excellent year with them under the night sky and during the day, so I consider the £400 for the year ok.

Buy a pair you like because nobody will pay top dollar for secondhand no matter how pristine the condition.
I have just upgraded to 12x42 from my Zeiss 7x42 which i bought in 1981.

As you can probably tell i don't chop and change.

Good birding -

Laurie -

Glass doesn’t bring the prices here as some of the firearm and hunting forums. I sold my NL 12’s recently on snipershide for $3K which was only about $100 less than I paid for them after tax. They also sold in a day or two.

Glass doesn’t bring the prices here as some of the firearm and hunting forums. I sold my NL 12’s recently on snipershide for $3K which was only about $100 less than I paid for them after tax. They also sold in a day or two.
Interesting, why do you suppose that is? I wonder if it’s because hunting is a more expensive hobby/sport and hunters spend more for equipment than birders (not sure that’s true considering the camera equipment I’ve seen birders use). Is it because there more US hunters with deeper pockets (possibly) than the more geographically diverse members here. Could it be some of the troubles economically that some of the countries over the great pond are having?

If I may ask did you get something specifically to replace it?

Maybe we should start a discussion on that.

Paul

Interesting, why do you suppose that is? I wonder if it’s because hunting is a more expensive hobby/sport and hunters spend more for equipment than birders (not sure that’s true considering the camera equipment I’ve seen birders use). Is it because there more US hunters with deeper pockets (possibly) than the more geographically diverse members here. Could it be some of the troubles economically that some of the countries over the great pond are having?

If I may ask did you get something specifically to replace it?

Maybe we should start a discussion on that.

Paul

No idea, the used values here just aren’t the same as hunting forums. Maybe people there appreciate a good deal more?

I just decided I don’t need them along with EL 8.5’s and EL Range TA 10x42’s and they were the ones getting used the least as of recent so they went on the chopping block.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back