• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

12X42 NL Pure resale value (3 Viewers)

No idea, the used values here just aren’t the same as hunting forums. Maybe people there appreciate a good deal more?

I just decided I don’t need them along with EL 8.5’s and EL Range TA 10x42’s and they were the ones getting used the least as of recent so they went on the chopping block.
Hunter's like Swaro's. Especially the NL 10x42 and 12x42.

Hunters like all sorts of binos and most can’t afford or justify $3K+.
Yeah but, for some reason, when I find a hunter here in Montana with high end binos around his neck, odds are they’re Swarovski. I seem to be the odd man out with my Leica’s. You’re right though, most hunters are using Vortex, Leupold or Nikon Monarchs.

Hunters like all sorts of binos and most can’t afford or justify $3K+.
Not in my experience. Every NL 42 mm I have sold has been to a hunter. Hunter's spend a lot of money on gear, and they don't scrimp on optics. Look at all the scopes and expensive firearms they buy. I guarantee you, there are way more hunters in Montana than birders, and they spend way more money.

Last edited:
Correct. hunters like myself aren’t gonna spend thousands on trips or leases and in the moment of truth you can’t see a target w/ cheap glass. and most hunting movement is dawn or dusk and Swarovski notoriously shines in low light. I’m looking for a good used pure 32 btw

Not in my experience. Every NL 42 mm I have sold has been to a hunter. Hunter's spend a lot of money on gear, and they don't scrimp on optics. Look at all the scopes and expensive firearms they buy.

Some do spend money on top tier stuff but most don’t. Most hunters are buying $500 rugers and savages and putting $200 vortex’s on top of them. I’ve been in hunting and shooting sports since I was 10.

Some do spend money on top tier stuff but most don’t. Most hunters are buying $500 rugers and savages and putting $200 vortex’s on top of them. I’ve been in hunting and shooting sports since I was 10.
Hunter's spend $13.1 billion dollars annually just on equipment. That is almost 8x more than birders. That is more than a $500 Ruger and a Vortex. Birder's only spent about $1.8 billion on equipment.

Last edited:
Hunter's spend $13.1 billion dollars annually just on equipment. That is almost 8x more than birders. That is more than a $500 Ruger and a Vortex. Birder's only spent about $1.8 billion on equipment.

How much hunting do you do and how many hunters do you know? Or does reading articles make you an expert on everything.

90% of hunters don’t buy high end stuff. I see what they buy, most are rocking vortex diamondbacks and bruntons for binos.

I see you wrote hunters spend 13.1 billion dollars but your attached link says they spend 26 billion. I’m confused , which wrong one did you get from Allbinos.com 😜😉.

How much hunting do you do and how many hunters do you know? Or does reading articles make you an expert on everything.

90% of hunters don’t buy high end stuff. I see what they buy, most are rocking vortex diamondbacks and bruntons for binos.
Just because you hunted with a group of hunter's doesn't mean you know what the total hunting market is. The group of hunters you hunted with is probably .0000000001 % of the market, and is not an accurate indicator of the total market or how much hunters nationwide on average spend on hunting equipment. Saying 90% of hunters don't buy high-end stuff because your hunting buddies didn't is ludicrous. You can't extrapolate the total market from such a small sample size.

Last edited:
Just because you hunted with a group of hunter's doesn't mean you know what the total hunting market is. The group of hunters you hunted with is probably .00001 % of the market, and is not an accurate indicator of the total market or how much hunters nationwide on average spend on hunting equipment. Saying 90% of hunters don't buy high-end stuff because your hunting buddies didn't is ludicrous. You can't extrapolate the total market from such a small sample size.
Lol, you annoy me on a daily basis , but why is it I feel I have to take a shower every time I agree with you. 😜.

I’ve seen hunters with very very expensive rifles, scopes and other equipment, but that’s the exception. But I’d say over the decades that I’ve been around hunters most , the large majority in New York do have very economical set ups. A lot of entry level Remington, Winchesters and Ruger rifles with Lupold , vortex and a lot of off brand optics, many with cheap binos.

Just because you hunted with a group of hunter's doesn't mean you know what the total hunting market is. The group of hunters you hunted with is probably .0000000001 % of the market, and is not an accurate indicator of the total market or how much hunters nationwide on average spend on hunting equipment. Saying 90% of hunters don't buy high-end stuff because your hunting buddies didn't is ludicrous. You can't extrapolate the total market from such a small sample size.

Again, much hunting do you do and how many hunters do you know or have interacted with? Interesting you dodged my question but I’d suspect it’s because you have no experience with it.

Go to any gun store and ask the counter guy what sells the most for hunting rifles and optics. Counter guys feedback general isn’t worth much, but in this case they can accurately tell you what people buy.

Again, much hunting do you do and how many hunters do you know or have interacted with? Interesting you dodged my question but I’d suspect it’s because you have no experience with it.

Go to any gun store and ask the counter guy what sells the most for hunting rifles and optics. Counter guys feedback general isn’t worth much, but in this case they can accurately tell you what people buy.
I have hunted all my life, but that doesn't have anything to do with how much hunters in general spend on gear. Asking a few clerks at the gun counter isn't going to tell you anything about the hunting market nationwide, even you say that. Hunters spend roughly 27 billion dollars per year on gear, guns and ammo.

Last edited:
Hmmm, is that true? Are we talking worldwide? Are we including nature observers? I’ve always wondered about this. 🙏🏼
Paul
Paul you might be right about worldwide.. My Brain was in Neutral for a bit..
I did hear a Hunter say he was a observer because he never could kill anything, so I would be curious to know as well..

Based on what my NL 12x42 sold for and what used NL 12x42's are selling for on eBay, I would say about $2500. You can get them new for $2700 at Teleskop-express. They ship DHL and have excellent service.

Beware of Chinese fake Swarovski binoculars. Same for other premium brands. The thieves and crooks are looking for YOU.

most hunters i know spend 99% of their hunts observing animals and nature... sitting in a tree stand for hours will turn you into a birder trust me.

...and while your birding in America's beautiful national forests and dedicated public lands thank hunters- who through the 1937 Pittman Robertson Act have contributed billions to land preservation and conservation through equipment and license sales. The Act created an excise tax on equipment, gear, and license sales that provides funds to each state to manage animals, birds and their habitats. Notable species that have come back from the brink since the implementation of this Act include white-tailed deer, wild turkeys, eagles, pelicans and wood ducks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back