• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

$1K binoculars experiences - Conquest HD, Monarch HG, Tract Toric, GPO Passion HD, Trinovid HD (2 Viewers)

bins987

I was inspired to write this post after reading @Gdavis248's post here.

I also started with and own a Monarch M7 --> tried NL pure and Zeiss SF --> decided to upgrade --> settled on a sensible (for me) budget at $1K.

Unless otherwise noted, all are 10x42 configurations.

After testing the following pairs, I decided to buy the Conquest HDs for my personal use (for now):
  • Tract Toric UHD (used for multiple weeks at home and trips)
  • Nikon Monarch HG (tried extensively for hours in dealerships)
  • Zeiss Conquest HD (tried extensively for hours in dealerships)
  • GPO Passion HD (used for a week at home and went on one trip. This pair had a minor issue, so it is with GPO now for warranty).
  • Leica Trinovid HD (tried extensively for hours in dealerships)
  • Nikon Monarch M7 (used for multiple weeks at home and trips)
In addition to reviewing the binoculars, this write-up focuses on factors I discovered as crucial for my use case.

Color, contrast, and 'image pop'
I thought sharpness was the most important factor for me before this experience. But I realized I care about color/contrast more than sharpness, especially after hours of handheld and slightly shaky viewing.
  • Tract
    • The image pops well, colors and contrast are good. 3D image, somewhat Leica-like.
    • I was surprised Tract was better than Monarch HG.
  • Monarch HG
    • Satisfactory, not interesting pop. But nothing major to complain about. Safe choice.
  • Conquest HD
    • The image pops well along with good micro-contrast and clarity. Much better than safe choices like MHG.
  • GPO
    • My pair didn't pop as well as even the Tract, but it is in warranty service. I'll update the final judgment later.
  • Trinovid HD
    • I was wowed the first time I handled Leicas (in Leica store SF). A good choice for someone who cares about pop.
  • Monarch M7
    • No pop. Uninteresting color and contrast.
Brightness and transmission
Dusk viewing is important for me. But more importantly, I realized transmission matters for daytime too. Especially when my pupils are not dilated much during the daytime, I want as much light in as possible to help discern contrast better.
  • Tract
    • Good transmission. Felt it was slightly better than Monarch HG even.
  • Monarch HG
    • Satisfactory. Nothing major to complain about. Safe choice. (looks like I'll be repeating this sentence for MHGs)
  • Conquest HD
    • Best of the bunch.
  • GPO
    • Slightly below Tract.
  • Trinovid HD
    • Not enough experience to comment. But don't remember having complaints.
  • Monarch M7
    • Clearly worse of the bunch.
Focus snap and focuser
I think a good implementation of transmission and color-contrast results in a good focus snap. In addition to the optical qualities, I think perfect alignment between barrels is also required for focus snap.

I realized I deeply care about having a good focus snap.
  • Tract
    • Great snap. I was surprised by this $700 pair.
    • But the focuser is tight. I think it is better for tripod use or hunting to fine-tune focus.
  • Monarch HG
    • Satisfactory, but doesn't snap as well as Tract
  • Conquest HD
    • Great snap. And the focus tightness is to my preference - not too tight. So easier to maintain focus on birds in flight compared to Tract
  • GPO
    • I was surprised the snap wasn't there. Similar to Monarch HG (but will reserve final judgment later)
  • Trinovid HD
    • Great snap.
  • Monarch M7
    • No snap.
Handheld sharpness and resolution (center clarity)
All are good except for Monarch M7 which clearly lags behind. My decision was not based on center clarity - I decided I am satisfied with any of the $1K binoculars for center clarity.

Chromatic aberration
  • Tract
    • Medium amount of CA. CA will show even if you don't look for it. Sometimes even in the center of the image.
  • Monarch HG
    • Some CA, but still a safe enough choice.
  • Conquest HD
    • Low CA (but I'll reserve final judgment)
  • GPO
    • Low CA
  • Trinovid HD
    • Not enough experience in the store.
  • Monarch M7
    • CA everywhere. You are constantly reminded of CA.
[I'll update the following four sections later]
Eye strain
Tripod sharpness and resolution (edge-to-edge clarity)
Immersion and Field of view
Handling and weight

Recommendations:

If you are on a budget, get the Tract Toric. At $700 it is amazing value. The rubber literally smells like hiking boots fresh out of the package, but they have compromised in the right places to achieve the price point. During holiday sales, it is typically discounted 10%.

If you don't want to do much research or don't have time for it, get the Nikon Monarch HG. It is a safe choice and I think most would be satisfied.

If you have time for the research, feel free to use my suggestions to fine-tune your research. But nothing beats trying first-hand.

---
Bottom note:

Reading about the history, Zeiss introduced the Conquest HD to fill the gap at $1K when binoculars were either $200 crappy ones or >$1500 Swaro, Leica Trinovid non-HD, etc. But this was ten years ago, and I find it amusing that no new $1K optic has definitively unseated Conquest HD in all axes.

Last edited:
I was inspired to write this post after reading @Gdavis248's post here.

I also started with and own a Monarch M7 --> tried NL pure and Zeiss SF --> decided to upgrade --> settled on a sensible (for me) budget at $1K.

Unless otherwise noted, all are 10x42 configurations.

After testing the following pairs, I decided to buy the Conquest HDs for my personal use (for now):
  • Tract Toric UHD (used for multiple weeks at home and trips)
  • Nikon Monarch HG (tried extensively for hours in dealerships)
  • Zeiss Conquest HD (tried extensively for hours in dealerships)
  • GPO Passion HD (used for a week at home and went on one trip. This pair had a minor issue, so it is with GPO now for warranty).
  • Leica Trinovid HD (tried extensively for hours in dealerships)
  • Nikon Monarch M7 (used for multiple weeks at home and trips)
In addition to reviewing the binoculars, this write-up focuses on factors I discovered as crucial for my use case.

Color, contrast, and 'image pop'
I thought sharpness was the most important factor for me before this experience. But I realized I care about color/contrast more than sharpness, especially after hours of handheld and slightly shaky viewing.
  • Tract
    • The image pops well, colors and contrast are good. 3D image, somewhat Leica-like.
    • I was surprised Tract was better than Monarch HG.
  • Monarch HG
    • Satisfactory, not interesting pop. But nothing major to complain about. Safe choice.
  • Conquest HD
    • The image pops well along with good micro-contrast and clarity. Much better than safe choices like MHG.
  • GPO
    • My pair didn't pop as well as even the Tract, but it is in warranty service. I'll update the final judgment later.
  • Trinovid HD
    • I was wowed the first time I handled Leicas (in Leica store SF). A good choice for someone who cares about pop.
  • Monarch M7
    • No pop. Uninteresting color and contrast.
Brightness and transmission
Dusk viewing is important for me. But more importantly, I realized transmission matters for daytime too. Especially when my pupils are not dilated much during the daytime, I want as much light in as possible to help discern contrast better.
  • Tract
    • Good transmission. Felt it was slightly better than Monarch HG even.
  • Monarch HG
    • Satisfactory. Nothing major to complain about. Safe choice. (looks like I'll be repeating this sentence for MHGs)
  • Conquest HD
    • Best of the bunch.
  • GPO
    • Slightly below Tract.
  • Trinovid HD
    • Not enough experience to comment. But don't remember having complaints.
  • Monarch M7
    • Clearly worse of the bunch.
Focus snap and focuser
I think a good implementation of transmission and color-contrast results in a good focus snap. In addition to the optical qualities, I think perfect alignment between barrels is also required for focus snap.

I realized I deeply care about having a good focus snap.
  • Tract
    • Great snap. I was surprised by this $700 pair.
    • But the focuser is tight. I think it is better for tripod use or hunting to fine-tune focus.
  • Monarch HG
    • Satisfactory, but doesn't snap as well as Tract
  • Conquest HD
    • Great snap. And the focus tightness is to my preference - not too tight. So easier to maintain focus on birds in flight compared to Tract
  • GPO
    • I was surprised the snap wasn't there. Similar to Monarch HG (but will reserve final judgment later)
  • Trinovid HD
    • Great snap.
  • Monarch M7
    • No snap.
Handheld sharpness and resolution (center clarity)
All are good except for Monarch M7 which clearly lags behind. My decision was not based on center clarity - I decided I am satisfied with any of the $1K binoculars for center clarity.

Chromatic aberration
  • Tract
    • Medium amount of CA. CA will show even if you don't look for it. Sometimes even in the center of the image.
  • Monarch HG
    • Some CA, but still a safe enough choice.
  • Conquest HD
    • Low CA (but I'll reserve final judgment)
  • GPO
    • Low CA
  • Trinovid HD
    • Not enough experience in the store.
  • Monarch M7
    • CA everywhere. You are constantly reminded of CA.
[I'll update the following four sections later]
Eye strain
Tripod sharpness and resolution (edge-to-edge clarity)
Immersion and Field of view
Handling and weight

Recommendations:

If you are on a budget, get the Tract Toric. At $700 it is amazing value. The rubber literally smells like hiking boots fresh out of the package, but they have compromised in the right places to achieve the price point. During holiday sales, it is typically discounted 10%.

If you don't want to do much research or don't have time for it, get the Nikon Monarch HG. It is a safe choice and I think most would be satisfied.

If you have time for the research, feel free to use my suggestions to fine-tune your research. But nothing beats trying first-hand.

---
Bottom note:

Reading about the history, Zeiss introduced the Conquest HD to fill the gap at $1K when binoculars were either $200 crappy ones or >$1500 Swaro, Leica Trinovid non-HD, etc. But this was ten years ago, and I find it amusing that no new $1K optic has definitively unseated Conquest HD in all axes.

Hey, glad I could serve as an inspiration! This is exactly the kind of write up I enjoy reading about, comparing similar binoculars at similar price points. There's so many choices and not everybody (including myself) is able to get their hands on them in the real world and test them. Because of this I rely heavily on reviews.

I've been leaning hard towards the Nikon MHG's but after reading this you're definitely making me thing twice about the Zeiss Conquest HD's! I guess I've read a little bit more negative comments about the Conquests but they all seem to center around eye cups. And for me personally, this is almost a non issue since I am a full time glasses wearer and I don't plan on fiddling with the eye cups all the time. At the same time thought I don't want them to be so fragile that I have to worry about them any time I pass them off to someone else to view through. I don't want to have to coach them on how to properly use my expensive binoculars lol. I just want to hand them over and say check these out.

Did you notice any obvious issues with the eye cups?

As for other points you make, I kinda feel like you said in the beginning, that you care mainly about sharpness. If you asked me now I would probably say that's the main thing I care about as well but you're probably right that a nice "pop" or "wow factor" may be what I'm truly after.

I spent a lot of time with Monarch 7's and actually sold them recently and replaced with a pair of Kowa BD II XD's. I felt they are a little bit sharper, better eye placement/relief for me, and just better ergonomics overall.

I cant wait to step up to another level though!

Hey, glad I could serve as an inspiration! This is exactly the kind of write up I enjoy reading about, comparing similar binoculars at similar price points. There's so many choices and not everybody (including myself) is able to get their hands on them in the real world and test them. Because of this I rely heavily on reviews.

I've been leaning hard towards the Nikon MHG's but after reading this you're definitely making me thing twice about the Zeiss Conquest HD's! I guess I've read a little bit more negative comments about the Conquests but they all seem to center around eye cups. And for me personally, this is almost a non issue since I am a full time glasses wearer and I don't plan on fiddling with the eye cups all the time. At the same time thought I don't want them to be so fragile that I have to worry about them any time I pass them off to someone else to view through. I don't want to have to coach them on how to properly use my expensive binoculars lol. I just want to hand them over and say check these out.

Did you notice any obvious issues with the eye cups?

As for other points you make, I kinda feel like you said in the beginning, that you care mainly about sharpness. If you asked me now I would probably say that's the main thing I care about as well but you're probably right that a nice "pop" or "wow factor" may be what I'm truly after.

I spent a lot of time with Monarch 7's and actually sold them recently and replaced with a pair of Kowa BD II XD's. I felt they are a little bit sharper, better eye placement/relief for me, and just better ergonomics overall.

I cant wait to step up to another level though!

My pair of Conquest HD is shipping. So I will update you in a couple of weeks of use.

The eyecup build is worse compared to the top-of-the-line or even Nikon MHGs. But based on the pairs in stores, I could work around any significant issues.

Eyecup positioning on my face was good with Conquests, even better than Tract. GPO eyecup physical build is excellent, but I had trouble getting full circles on both eyes.

So, in other words, I decided to optimize for eyecup positioning and lower eye strain even if the physical build isn't refined.

Nikon Monarch HGs would be my choice, I have it in 8X42. I do not have an issue with CA. Just goes to show the new members to try it for yourself, and save time reading others opinions, because yours will be different.
You’re right and I definitely would prefer to try both and make an informed decision. That would be ideal.

You’re right and I definitely would prefer to try both and make an informed decision. That would be ideal.

Trying is far better than reading. Before I invested my time in trying these, I had decided to go with Nikon MHG myself based on what others have written.

The Tract is nice in 10X42, not so much in 8X42, however one has to make sure the eye cups fit with ones facial features - they are a no go for some folks. Nice glass none the less.

The Tract is nice in 10X42, not so much in 8X42, however one has to make sure the eye cups fit with ones facial features - they are a no go for some folks. Nice glass none the less.

Yeah, Tract 8x42 has FoV 377 ft. That is low.

But the 10x42 is great including fov. I think Tract as a company focuses on the hunting market. And hunting folks prefer 10 power to 8.

Yeah, Tract 8x42 has FoV 377 ft. That is low.

But the 10x42 is great including fov. I think Tract as a company focuses on the hunting market. And hunting folks prefer 10 power to 8.
I agree with you that at the $1K price point, the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 was the best choice for me also. I tried all the binoculars you did and more. What I am surprised at is you tried the NL and SF and were still able to settle on a mid-tier binocular. I find I get spoiled by the view of the $1500 and above alpha binoculars and when I try to move down to a $1000 binocular I notice there is something missing and I think it is that extra pop that the top binoculars have that spoils you. As I have said before, once you go alpha, you can never go backa.

I might pick up an alpha eventually. But the $1K binoculars are a practical checkpoint to get familiar with. Plus, I don't have the budget for an alpha glass at the moment.
There are a lot of used binoculars that can save you a lot of initial outlay. At $1k you can absolutely afford the better binoculars now if you exercise some patience.
The only thing you need buy new are edibles.

Interesting. I have owned the Zeiss Conquest HD 10 x 42 twice and BOTH times, the eye cups broke in my hands while adjusting! Its horrible, because
I love everything else about them! I just can't believe after all these years, Zeiss cant figure this out. For $1000 binocular, their build quality is very questionable!

Interesting. I have owned the Zeiss Conquest HD 10 x 42 twice and BOTH times, the eye cups broke in my hands while adjusting! Its horrible, because
I love everything else about them! I just can't believe after all these years, Zeiss cant figure this out. For $1000 binocular, their build quality is very questionable!
Can you explain how they break?? Is the plastic just that brittle?? What exactly is breaking??

The base of the eye cups appeared to be plastic and twice, as I was adjusting them, they broke in my hand. I guess the plastic base is brittle or cheap.

Wow, that's just ridiculous. I have a pair of Kowa BD II 8x42XD's right now and I'm impressed with the eye cups. They feel sturdy, absolutely no wiggle or play, very distinct detents, don't move once in place and to top it off they are a comfy rubbery material. AND those bins cost me $400.

I'd be seriously disappointed if a brand new pair of $1,000 Zeiss binoculars just broke from normal operation. I share my bins a lot with my wife and friends and I really don't want to have to worry about somebody breaking them accidentally.

Zeiss customer service mentioned that they did a silent update on eyecups sometime in the past two years.

I checked the date of manufacture for mine, and it is Aug 2021. I'll update this weekend on how they feel on my hands.

They also said they would ship the updated eyecups for free anytime needed.

Zeiss customer service mentioned that they did a silent update on eyecups sometime in the past two years.

I checked the date of manufacture for mine, and it is Aug 2021. I'll update this weekend on how they feel on my hands.

They also said they would ship the updated eyecups for free anytime needed.
Ah, that is encouraging!

Cant wait to hear your thoughts on the bins once you get them in your hand. So, so far you have only used them in a store?

Yeah, I noted my use of each binocular on the original post. I don't have deep hands-on experience yet to comment on the durability.

I have used the conquest HD only for a couple of hours in the store. During the use in-store, this didn't stand out as an issue. It was clunky and less refined feeling, but eye comfort was good.

Yeah, I noted my use of each binocular on the original post. I don't have deep hands-on experience yet to comment on the durability.

I have used the conquest HD only for a couple of hours in the store. During the use in-store, this didn't stand out as an issue. It was clunky and less refined feeling, but eye comfort was good.
10-4! I'll wait for the full in depth review :LOL:

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back