• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1st winter Mediterranean gull? [Düsseldorf, Germany] (2 Viewers)

David_

Germany
Hello,

found this gull in a small flock of Black-headed gulls. The dark legs caught my eyes to take a photo. I think this is a 1st winter Mediterranean gull but as I still struggle with non-adult gulls I am asking for confirmation for species and age.

P1210497.jpeg

Thank you!

Hello,

found this gull in a small flock of Black-headed gulls. The dark legs caught my eyes to take a photo. I think this is a 1st winter Mediterranean gull but as I still struggle with non-adult gulls I am asking for confirmation for species and age.

View attachment 1409152

Thank you!
Hi David,

Not that I'm any good with gulls, but have you considered a Kittywake? ornitho.de shows them occassionally following rivers far into Germany.

Regards,

Henning

1st-winter black-headed gull - just the same bill-size/shape as the others with it. Mediterranean gull has a much chunkier bill.

Hello,
what a hard bird, at least for me. First: do you have more pictures?

Its one of those threads, I learn from, and if forced, I would opt for BHG like Butty. But with such a very bad feeling. There are many reasons for this:
  • Yes, Med Gull is described as larger and many are. But I have seen many 1cy Med Gulls in recent years in NE-Germany, that were the same size as BHG and smaller than Common Gulls.
  • A german Gull expert said "everything is possible in Gulls" in a german forum, but BHG with black legs in winter/basic plumage are rare at best.
  • Yes, bill seems too small for Med Gull, but bill shape is also not perfect for BHG. And if you look hard enough, you can imagine a drooping bill, good for med Gull. You can do this, trust me.
  • black centers to wing coverts are rare (scarce?) in BHG, but good for Med Gull
  • head pattern with just a tiny crescent, that can be described as a spot is within variation for the weakest marked Med Gulls. But yes, within variation for BHG.
  • I think the paler mantle of Med Gull would be visible here.
This is such an interesting bird imo, that I hope for more pictures and comments and I hope it is still there. And I must admit that I changed into the Med Gull camp when writing this. And the bad word hybrid (=the last refuge for the frustrated birder, I agree with you Butty!) came into my mind, too.

Edit: a Kittiwake can be excluded with confidence imo.

Thanks for all the comments.

Sadly there are no other photos. I got distracted by a Peregrine attacking a Common buzzard to chase it out of his territory. When I turned around to take some more photos of the gull it was gone.

I might have some time on Friday morning to get back and have another look. There are some Med gull reportings on Ornitho for Düsseldorf from the last 2 weeks (adults, 2nd and 1st year) so it might be staying in the area a little longer.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back