• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2014 UK Orchids (1 Viewer)

Visited Cressbrook Dale on Friday, most plants not yet in bud only a few flowering so needs another week or so to be at its best

Mark

Attachments

• _DSC8246.JPG
    _DSC8246.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 66
Off-topic (forgive me) but Pasqueflowers looking good at Therfield Heath today.

Attachments

• ePasqueflower_Therfield-Heath_210414__CL_4883.jpg
    ePasqueflower_Therfield-Heath_210414__CL_4883.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 57
Ladies beginning to flower in Kent.
Lots of EPOs and a solitary white one!
Supposed to be Fly Orchid as well, but I couldn't find any.
Dave

Attachments

• lady orchid orchis purpurea stockbury 210414yyy.jpg
    lady orchid orchis purpurea stockbury 210414yyy.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 65
  • early purple orchid orchis mascula stockbury 210414xxx.jpg
    early purple orchid orchis mascula stockbury 210414xxx.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 60
  • EPO white xxx.jpg
    EPO white xxx.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 64
  • EPOs xxx.jpg
    EPOs xxx.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 63
Ladies beginning to flower in Kent.
Lots of EPOs and a solitary white one!
Supposed to be Fly Orchid as well, but I couldn't find any.
Dave

Drat!! Double drat!!!
I will be down in Kent mid June, but though I need to get a Lady in the bag, it looks like I will be way too late even for the laziest one.

I missed them last year. I went in mid June and they had all gone over, and that was with a very cold spring, so definitely now to early May. The mild Spring has brought them out a bit early this year.
Dave

IOW Orchids

Hi all, had a successful trip to the Isle of Wight when visiting the parents with my family over Easter. Many thanks to Roger for assisting with the locations. Found two wonderful displays of Green Winged, and a few Early Purples. Also took a shot of what I believe to be a Greater Butterfly about to bud.

These first shots were all taken in a cemetery.

Attachments

• 0N7A8700textm.jpg
    0N7A8700textm.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 0N7A8702textm.jpg
    0N7A8702textm.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 0N7A8703textm.jpg
    0N7A8703textm.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 52
IOW Orchids

These shots were all found in 2 locations in Newtown. Happy to be corrected on the Greater Butterfly ID. Also would appreciate an ID on the non-Orchid shot here as I don't immediately recognize it? Thanks, Rafe

Attachments

• 0N7A8854textm.jpg
    0N7A8854textm.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 0N7A8900textm.jpg
    0N7A8900textm.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 0N7A8907.jpg
    0N7A8907.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 0N7A8910textm.jpg
    0N7A8910textm.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 61
These shots were all found in 2 locations in Newtown. Happy to be corrected on the Greater Butterfly ID. Also would appreciate an ID on the non-Orchid shot here as I don't immediately recognize it? Thanks, Rafe

Glad you managed to find them Rafe.
That's one of the Greater Butterfly plants I've been keeping my eye on (I recognise it from the slug damage!). The other plant looks like a droopy Cuckooflower (Lady's Smock). There's plenty of them at Newtown.
Nice photos!
Cheers,
Rog

Isle of Wight Orchids

Glad you managed to find them Rafe.
That's one of the Greater Butterfly plants I've been keeping my eye on (I recognise it from the slug damage!). The other plant looks like a droopy Cuckooflower (Lady's Smock). There's plenty of them at Newtown.
Nice photos!
Cheers,
Rog

Hello I am new to bird forum, my boyfriend and I go all over the Uk to record, look and photograph wild Orchids and next weekend 3rd May we are going to the Iske of Wight to look at the Orchids on the there and I read your bit on Green winged Orchids and wonder if you could let me know where you saw them.We have seen all the British Orchids in the Uk so we woukd be really grateful.My boyfriend does know of a few sites on the island but it would be nice to find others.There are Orchids at Osbourne House in the gardens and we gave found Autumn Ladies Tresses on peoples lawns at Cowes and Freshwater.Thank you

Hello I am new to bird forum, my boyfriend and I go all over the Uk to record, look and photograph wild Orchids and next weekend 3rd May we are going to the Iske of Wight to look at the Orchids on the there and I read your bit on Green winged Orchids and wonder if you could let me know where you saw them.We have seen all the British Orchids in the Uk so we woukd be really grateful.My boyfriend does know of a few sites on the island but it would be nice to find others.There are Orchids at Osbourne House in the gardens and we gave found Autumn Ladies Tresses on peoples lawns at Cowes and Freshwater.Thank you

PM sent.

I have visited 2 KWT reserves in the last few days to see Lady Orchids and have noticed how different the flower skirts are at each reserve. I guess this has come about from a different gene pool at each location. Have a look for yourselves.
The left one is from a Mid Kent reserve and the right from an East Kent reserve.
While there are plenty of Lady's in flower to photograph there are many more coming up, so please don't tread on them. It's very easy to do when approaching one in flower. There can be orchid leaves all over the place. I have noticed a few EPOs broken down, although foxes, badgers, deer and rabbits could do this as well.
There are a few other sites with Lady's, it would be interesting to compare them all.
Dave
http://barbus59.tumblr.com/

Attachments

• zzzxxx.jpg
    zzzxxx.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 62
There were three fly orchids out at one of the lady reserves. Couldn't find them. The person who told me about them revisited today and found them all squashed, most likely by someone photographing a nearby lady orchid. Please look around you carefully before treading off the paths. Several EPOs broken as well.
Dave

Just back from visiting Dorset for the Early Spider Orchids. Walked the coast path from Durlston Country Park yesterday. Now showing in very good numbers all along the coast along with a few early purple orchids and some green winged orchids. If you are planning a visit then this weekend would a good time to go.

Interestingly, I grew up in Cowes and remember one year an Autumn Ladies Tresses popping up on our lawn!

They sometimes turn up on my in-laws' lawn in Ryde. It's quite common over here on the Island.
Apparently in the first half on the 20th century turf was cut from the downs - in particular Arreton Down - for garden lawns and it's thought this is how they get there.

Rog

Green-winged ( lots ) and several EPO at the SSSI near Bryn Pydew, n. Wales ,if anyone would like directions please PM

I am visiting there but not until 13 May, so maybe the Green Winged will be past their best?

Anyone have any news on the Grantham Green Winged please?

My first man of the year

My first attempt at a post so hope this goes well. Found this remarkably early Man orchid at Ranscombe Farm Reserve, Kent last Friday. I fear this early spring is going to wreak havoc with my planning as the terrible spring did last year.

Based at Maidstone but I think it's time I flew a little further from the nest year and have ambitions on seeing the Burnt and Frog Orchids on the south downs.

Chris

Attachments

• orchis_anthropophora_44_small.JPG
    orchis_anthropophora_44_small.JPG
    397.8 KB · Views: 117
There were plenty to see even a couple of weeks ago including the all yellow ones. Don't forget the cliff tops as well!
Dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back