• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 days around Lake Kerkini - questions (1 Viewer)

Gladiator96

I will be in the lake kerkini area at the end of November for 3 days.

I have saved the ebird hotspots in the area in my GPS, are there any other sites I should check out?

The main targets are obviously the area's specialities, including Lesser White-fronted Goose and Dalmatian Pelican. Has there been any news yet on the LWFGs this year? According to the reports I have read, the best area to look for them is east of the lake. Any other tips to spot them?

I would also appreciate any tips on the best areas near the lake to look for woodpeckers.

Eagle Owl and Western Rock Nuthatch are also apparently regular in the lake area, any tips for these? Feel free to send a PM if certain locations are sensitive.

Thanks

I will be in the lake kerkini area at the end of November for 3 days.

I have saved the ebird hotspots in the area in my GPS, are there any other sites I should check out?

The main targets are obviously the area's specialities, including Lesser White-fronted Goose and Dalmatian Pelican. Has there been any news yet on the LWFGs this year? According to the reports I have read, the best area to look for them is east of the lake. Any other tips to spot them?

I would also appreciate any tips on the best areas near the lake to look for woodpeckers.

Eagle Owl and Western Rock Nuthatch are also apparently regular in the lake area, any tips for these? Feel free to send a PM if certain locations are sensitive.

Thanks
Hi, I'm Going 2022 May did you find any of your Targets? any tips

Hi, I'm Going 2022 May did you find any of your Targets? any tips
Hi, the birds present in May will be completely different from in November, so I doubt I will be of much help. Here's a report of my trip. The highlight of the trip was a Wallcreeper at the old quarry at Sidirokastro a few kms east of the lake. Western Rock Nuthatches were also present here. You can find this site from e-bird. Dalmatian Pelicans, with a few White Pelicans mixed in, and Pygmy Cormorants were pretty common around the whole lake perimeter - which is easily driveable. Other highlights included several Greater Spotted Eagles, 1 Ruddy Shelduck, 2 Golden Eagles, 1 Moustached Warbler, a few Great Grey Shrikes and large numbers of finches of different species including Hawfinches. Pretty good birding in the wetlands closer to Thessaloniki too.

The LWFG were definitely present and visible from the East embankment, but due to the very low water level they were very far away and could not be distinguished from GWFG. Same thing with Tundra Swans. Better views of these could probably be obtained from the river mouth in the NE corner of the lake, but due to the muddy conditions I didn't manage to get there. Presumably the water level will be much higher in May. I also didn't see as many woodpeckers as I had hoped, and also dipped on Eagle Owl and White-tailed Eagle. Nevertheless it was a great trip with unbeleivable value for money, with cheap flights, accomodation and car rental. I stayed in an AirBnB in Kerkini Village which was great, with amazing food in the village too.

I suggest you contact the Lake Kerkini Management Authority (Kerkini Lake | Contact) for more up to date info.

Hi, the birds present in May will be completely different from in November, so I doubt I will be of much help. Here's a report of my trip. The highlight of the trip was a Wallcreeper at the old quarry at Sidirokastro a few kms east of the lake. Western Rock Nuthatches were also present here. You can find this site from e-bird. Dalmatian Pelicans, with a few White Pelicans mixed in, and Pygmy Cormorants were pretty common around the whole lake perimeter - which is easily driveable. Other highlights included several Greater Spotted Eagles, 1 Ruddy Shelduck, 2 Golden Eagles, 1 Moustached Warbler, a few Great Grey Shrikes and large numbers of finches of different species including Hawfinches. Pretty good birding in the wetlands closer to Thessaloniki too.

The LWFG were definitely present and visible from the East embankment, but due to the very low water level they were very far away and could not be distinguished from GWFG. Same thing with Tundra Swans. Better views of these could probably be obtained from the river mouth in the NE corner of the lake, but due to the muddy conditions I didn't manage to get there. Presumably the water level will be much higher in May. I also didn't see as many woodpeckers as I had hoped, and also dipped on Eagle Owl and White-tailed Eagle. Nevertheless it was a great trip with unbeleivable value for money, with cheap flights, accomodation and car rental. I stayed in an AirBnB in Kerkini Village which was great, with amazing food in the village too.

I suggest you contact the Lake Kerkini Management Authority (Kerkini Lake | Contact) for more up to date info.
That's great, i generally just explore so any pointers always help , Thank You

Hi,
Steve Mills' book will be very helpful for sites in the lake and around.
The eastern embarkment, Mandraki harbour, Himaros area,Vironia tracks and quarry are usually the most interesting sites in the lake area. Mavrovouni hills are usually good for raptors. If you have time Belles (or Kerkini) mountain is a nice change with different habitat and many differnet species (but I should warn you that sometimes it can be unproductive to a WesternEuropean birder because although there are a lot of Woodpeckers and other interesting species like Semi-collared Flycatcher they are rather difficult to spot this time of the year and you may end up with a species list similar to a Western European woodland as these species are more common). I would highly recommend to try a boat ride (especially if you are a photographer) as it will take you very close to many birds and the heron, cormorant and other species collony.
Wallcreepers are winter visitors to Sidirokastro quarry but this area and the surroundings are very interesting and you should visit them for Western Rock-Nuthatch, Warblers and other rock-loving or schrubland birds.
I would highly recommend to try some of the coastal wetlands around Thessaloniki also as they have a different array of species and habitats. I think that the best route is to make the long drive (a little more than 30 km but it takes at least half a day and it could take almost all day if you like to stop for a some time to most of the places with good habitat) of the dirt coastal road that connects Kalochori lagoon (good for waders, Terns, Gulls in May but try early in the day if the day is good because it can be very crouded later) to Gallikos estuary and the east side of Axios delta (it will be ok with a normal car if there is not a lot of rain during the previous days).
If you need any more info feel free to ask

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back