• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3d printing nest boxes (1 Viewer)

graham bowers

Hello.
I've made and used wooden nest boxes for garden birds with some degree of success.
I was wondering if there are any proven success stories using 3D printed nest boxes please? It's easy enough to find geometry files for 3D printed nest boxes, but not so easy to find evidence of success in the UK. I know I could just try it, however would prefer not to make something that would lead to a failed nest.
Thanks
Graham

It can work if you make birdhouse wall thickness 0.75"(20mm). Because if the wall is thinner, the birdhouse can easily overheat in summer. In winter it does not provide enough shelter birds to roost. Here is a post, what wood is best for birdhouses.

Hello.
I've made and used wooden nest boxes for garden birds with some degree of success.
I was wondering if there are any proven success stories using 3D printed nest boxes please? It's easy enough to find geometry files for 3D printed nest boxes, but not so easy to find evidence of success in the UK. I know I could just try it, however would prefer not to make something that would lead to a failed nest.
Thanks
Graham
It is not difficult to build a 3D model but I am not very keen to try it. A few reasons:

1. Wood is easy and effective. As Janar said wood of minimum 2cm thickness is recommended. If you 3D print then it should be ok to print with infill of 10% or so. Air will be a good insulator.
2. The model is of a considerable size, at least for 3D printing. We are talking about a few days of printing or even longer.
3. Most 3D printers may not have a big enough build volume. Most are just built for toys.
4. You won't be able to use boiling water to disinfect the box after seasonal use.

And I doubt if the birds are keen to see colour boxes.

I do use 3D printing in make translucent windows for better camera lighting, entry hole protector, and various parts likes cable insert, etc.

I've had success with these: Printables

Already printed the large one (see picture) and planning to print smaller versions for next season. Easy and works really well. The measurements are also according to recommendations. That cannot be said for the majority of available designs.

Attachments

• IMG_3376.jpeg
    IMG_3376.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back