• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

400 In A Year?? (1 Viewer)

Owen

In my opinion, your post 138 is simply bizarre. I stick to my patch. I left it yesterday to twitch a species about 30 minutes away that I had not seen for 24 years. Ordinarily I do not even do that. I only twitch ticks or possible ticks. I find very little. The patch has a relatively limited list. I have found a couple of firsts for the area.

It is birded regularly by three individuals who have been involved in finding different Firsts for Britain. They find very little of real rarity value on my patch as well. It may be that you are correct and they have lost their abilities. Alternatively, it may be that your desire to prove your point is clouding your logic and judgement.

All the best

Last edited:
True Johnny. It depends on the scenario. I would come back with there are many people who SAY that but pound for pound, same time in the field, same good areas, produce significantly less.

Yes inland areas don't get as much as coastal areas. (they might get a few more quacks). But the point is...if you have a high British/Irish list, but a low finds list, then it shows that you spent your time twitching the birds rather than hunting your own.

The time issue. You clearly had the time to twitch all these birds. Which in britain, means a far more extensive effort that Ireland, going to shetland and scillies etc.

For everyday you went for a tick, or a bird for your county or whatever, that was a day you could have spent looking for your own birds.

You don't even need to stay inland if that is where you are settled. You would go to norfolk or spurn at the drop of a hat if there was a british tick.

Why not go for a day or weekend if the weather looks promising?

On that basis I don't buy into the "poor me I'm in a birding wasteland" excuse.

Most people I know in birding wastelands get themselves to the coast every chance they get anyway.

Owen

Exactly what i wanted to say!

I live in Nottingham, a stones throw from Trent Bridge. Its s**t for finding rares. I would rather drive the 2 hrs to the coast on a whim, and it often pays off.

I live in Nottingham, a stones throw from Trent Bridge. Its s**t for finding rares. I would rather drive the 2 hrs to the coast on a whim, and it often pays off.

Absolutely fine. But if you didn't and found less would your birding abilities be different?

That is the only point that is being made. It seems hypocritical to me that someone, who advocates that a relative life listing is not indicative of relative ability, refuses to accept that a relative self-find listing may also NOT ALWAYS be indicative.

Anyway - enough of the semantics - work (alas) as opposed to birding tomorrow.

All the best

Frenchy,

Perhaps you can clatify something for me from the annual Foula finding trip? I have been told this year that there is a certain etiquette to finding and sharing birds, ie if one lucky/skilful birders makes a decent find he must then contact his crew first, simply telling them to go.and look in the bird's location without telling them what species is present. Each individual then 'finds' the bird independently and thus adds it to their personal 'self-found' list!!!!! I'm hoping that story is not true!!!

Cheers.

Last edited:
True Johnny. It depends on the scenario. I would come back with there are many people who SAY that but pound for pound, same time in the field, same good areas, produce significantly less.

Yes inland areas don't get as much as coastal areas. (they might get a few more quacks). But the point is...if you have a high British/Irish list, but a low finds list, then it shows that you spent your time twitching the birds rather than hunting your own.

The time issue. You clearly had the time to twitch all these birds. Which in britain, means a far more extensive effort that Ireland, going to shetland and scillies etc.

For everyday you went for a tick, or a bird for your county or whatever, that was a day you could have spent looking for your own birds.

You don't even need to stay inland if that is where you are settled. You would go to norfolk or spurn at the drop of a hat if there was a british tick.

Why not go for a day or weekend if the weather looks promising?

On that basis I don't buy into the "poor me I'm in a birding wasteland" excuse.

Most people I know in birding wastelands get themselves to the coast every chance they get anyway.

Owen

Hi Owen,

this can't be right. You've made a few points and I'll answer each one:

"True Johnny. It depends on the scenario. I would come back with there are many people who SAY that but pound for pound, same time in the field, same good areas, produce significantly less."

Where is your evidence for this ?

"Yes inland areas don't get as much as coastal areas. (they might get a few more quacks). But the point is...if you have a high British/Irish list, but a low finds list, then it shows that you spent your time twitching the birds rather than hunting your own."

Disagree. It shows that you spend some of your time twitching rather than free birding. It certainly doesn't mean that you spend little or no time free birding (it certainly wouldn't for me).

"The time issue. You clearly had the time to twitch all these birds. Which in britain, means a far more extensive effort that Ireland, going to shetland and scillies etc."

This, of course, doesn't mean that one has little or no time for free birding or puts in no time free birding.

"For everyday you went for a tick, or a bird for your county or whatever, that was a day you could have spent looking for your own birds."

Again, one still has plenty of time for free birding (and when you twitch a bird it's possible to bird in the area you find yourself in, as I have done this year on the few occasions I've travelled).

"You don't even need to stay inland if that is where you are settled. You would go to norfolk or spurn at the drop of a hat if there was a british tick.

Why not go for a day or weekend if the weather looks promising?"

But you're assuming I want to go to free birding in these birding 'hotspots' and I don't. My point was that it's easier to find scarce and rare birds at these locations, not that I personally want to find more. If I did, I'd have moved to one of these places long ago.

"On that basis I don't buy into the "poor me I'm in a birding wasteland" excuse."

You have misread previous posts. I do not request sympathy, I choose to bird where I bird and am happy to do so. My point is that there are some who crow about all the good finds they make, when, all things being equal (such as birding ability, time spent in the field etc), geographical location has a great deal to do with it. This is obvious.

"Most people I know in birding wastelands get themselves to the coast every chance they get anyway."

Well I don't and I'd say most of the birders in my area don't, but maybe you're nearer the coast.

Johnny

Last edited:

Hi Frenchy,

well Owen beat you to it. At least you can read my reply :)

Johnny

Hi Owen,

this can't be right. You've made a few points and I'll answer each one:

"True Johnny. It depends on the scenario. I would come back with there are many people who SAY that but pound for pound, same time in the field, same good areas, produce significantly less."

Where is your evidence for this ?

I would rather not detail my "evidence" for this, as it will only invariably lead to someone, somewhere being insulted and going off on one. Lets just say that my experience has lead me to this conclusion.

"Yes inland areas don't get as much as coastal areas. (they might get a few more quacks). But the point is...if you have a high British/Irish list, but a low finds list, then it shows that you spent your time twitching the birds rather than hunting your own."

Disagree. It shows that you spend some of your time twitching rather than free birding. It certainly doesn't mean that you spend little or no time free birding (it certainly wouldn't for me).

I'm not going to get into how much specific time people are spending twitching or birding. Some people have 1 day off a week, some have seven. I reserve the right to stay within the same context that Paul put in place in relation to "Most" people. And most people have 2 days off a week.

It is a pretty moot point in my mind. Birds show up. And people go. Often on the spot, or at the nearest available time off. You don't have a list up in the big leagues if you didn't.

"You don't even need to stay inland if that is where you are settled. You would go to norfolk or spurn at the drop of a hat if there was a british tick.

Why not go for a day or weekend if the weather looks promising?"

But you're assuming I want to go to free birding in these birding 'hotspots' and I don't. My point was that it's easier to find scarce and rare birds at these locations, not that I personally want to find more. If I did, I'd have moved to one of these places long ago.

Yes...and no. It is easier to find rare birds on the coast because there are estuaries and headlands and more birds yes. But there are more birders looking, often to the point of saturation. It is not as simple as you make it out to be.

"On that basis I don't buy into the "poor me I'm in a birding wasteland" excuse."

You have misread previous posts. I do not request sympathy, I choose to bird where I bird and am happy to do so. My point is that there are some who crow about all the good finds they make, when, all things being equal (such as birding ability, time spent in the field etc), geographical location has a great deal to do with it. This is obvious.

"Most people I know in birding wastelands get themselves to the coast every chance they get anyway."

Well I don't and I'd say most of the birders in my area don't, but maybe you're nearer the coast.

Johnny

Wasn't referring to you in the above Johnny. Have just heard the argument before so many times. Birds are everywhere. Now and again I go on an exploring binge, looking at underwatched (inland) sites like the midland or Cavan lakes, and I have always found rarities and scarcities.

Owen

Birds are everywhere. Now and again I go on an exploring binge, looking at underwatched (inland) sites like the midland or Cavan lakes, and I have always found rarities and scarcities.

Owen

You're welcome to try in Warwickshire! I wish you luck. I've given up trying and head for the coast on my one day a week max.

As always Paul Chapman's view is balanced and objective.

This thread is full of snobbery. Why is finding birds so much better than twitching? I have done both but for me the excitement of a big twitch is unbeatable.

Of course if I didn't live in the Midlands I might be finding more rarities!

Reading this thread has been entertaining and fairly informative - at least I now know what the word 'surprised' means.

I'll maybe save all my useless comments on the (admittedly rather interesting) topic of self-finding for another time, going off-topic though, I had thought of one way to see if seeing 400 species in a year were possible -

Assume that the 250 common resident/winterers/migrants + 80 or so scarcities were a given of course. Then look at all the rarities which had occurred this year (eg on Birdguides, RBA or BF rarities section, or one's own personal database). Assuming all commoner rarities were available for extended periods, and thus gettable (eg Ring-necked Duck, Radde's Warbler etc etc), then look at the more difficult and mega rarities - assume all one-dayers (or 2-dayers in difficult locations) were unavailable, thus all longer stayers were available, and thus gotten.

In effect, take the total number of species recorded (450 plus, or 430 to 440 or whatever BOU would be), and take off all the relevant 1 and 2 dayers ... must be over 400, surely??

Depending on the presumed imaginary birder's location at the time, of course some 1 or 2 dayers would become available. On the other hand, there would be bound to be some stupid dips, and I recall reading somewhere that getting all the regular scarcities in a year is not actually a given. Win some, lose some ...

Anyone able to work out the rough number of potential dips (1 or 2 dayers??) ... or wants to? ;)

You're welcome to try in Warwickshire! I wish you luck. I've given up trying and head for the coast on my one day a week max.

As always Paul Chapman's view is balanced and objective.

This thread is full of snobbery. Why is finding birds so much better than twitching? I have done both but for me the excitement of a big twitch is unbeatable.

Of course if I didn't live in the Midlands I might be finding more rarities!

Why is it snobbery? Its just opinion. I PREFER finding my own birds to twitching others.

By the same token I could say you are displaying twitching snobbery, advocating twitching over finding birds.

Owen

I don't want to travel to the coast every day I'm off to go and search for rarities... I know it's not easy anyway! I only ever found one real rarity on the coast when I lived close to it (a twitchable Dusky Warbler), but I must admit at the time I was less likely to bird and more likely to twitch or sleep in...

I have now lived away from the coast (Netherlands, UK, Germany) for seven years. Still, I've found a few scarcities by "always" being outside... but no rarities (although they of course did turn up at my local patches). I am afraid I am just not someone who perseveres in beating bushes! And sad as it may seem, seeing a local Kittiwake, Spoonbill or Richard's Pipit makes me happy enough.

My Dutch “not-twitched list” (that's not the same as self-found of course – it includes migrating birds called by someone else!) stands at 278, out of some 420.

400 in year can’t see it happening unless a lottery winner takes up twitching or Abramovich gets bored of Chelsea and picks up pair of bins.

As for find lists pretty much all angles have been covered but just to put in my two pence worth...

First off in case it needs to be said each to their own, we should all just remember to enjoy the birds, surprising or not ;-)

As others have correctly said for find lists along with all lists much depends on available time and money combined with location and of course luck.
Skill does of course play a part, I do think that having the ability to identify birds does mean that individual is a ‘better birder’ than those who can’t. What it doesn’t mean of course is that the individual is a ‘better birder’ than those who, when it comes to scarce and rare birds, have not had the good fortune to be in the right place at the right time.

We have all probably had to ’find’ a rare when twitching but I disagree with Paul when he says relocating the bird is ‘very well below the baseline competence to find and identify either in the first place’ in most cases the only difference is the luck.

The variables involved in all lists mean it is pointless in trying to rate birder against birder – and why, except on a personal level, would you want to do that? If my latest tick takes me higher in the Bubo ratings I (and I hope most people) don’t sit there and think good another person I’m better than.

I have been undertaking a find list this year and it is a challenge, not just finding the birds but trying not to overthink it! Interestingly having been largely stuck to patch for years, this year has been an eye opener. Watching birds in new locations, habitats and out of a familiar context have been the real challenge and I believe made me a better birder and highlighted areas which I need to work on.

I do also like to crow about my finds, there is no snobbery to this, I also like to crow about those birds I have successfully twitched and carp on (is there an opposite to crow?) about those I have dipped.

As for my best/most memorable find a Knot on a flooded field in Surrey takes some beating and this year a Great Tit on Lundy was fun, it’s all relative.

I do also like to crow about my finds, there is no snobbery to this, I also like to crow about those birds I have successfully twitched and carp on (is there an opposite to crow?) about those I have dipped.

Ah, Kev - you are a man after my own heart! Me too! |=)|

And the sooner posters to this thread all agree to allow each to enjoy their birding in their own way without implying one particular approach is 'better' in some way, or (worse!) that the birder employing that approach is 'better' in some way, the sooner some of us will be able to stop feeling inadequate.

Why is it snobbery? Its just opinion. I PREFER finding my own birds to twitching others.

By the same token I could say you are displaying twitching snobbery, advocating twitching over finding birds.

Owen

Twitching for me... Is having the desire, no family considerations to worry about and a wallet that's able to rise ''to the occasion,'' all being in perfect alignment, to enable me to see the objects of my desire. From a personal experience there is absolutely nothing to compare..to finding your own! For me it's the long hours hunting in the field, be it Urban/Country or coastal...finding that ''vagrant migrant'' from far off lands, and the ensuing adrenalin rush.....such is my ''joie de vie''.

Owen

Without finding!..there would be no twitching!...My hunting (mostly local and further afield) to twitching ratio is circa 80/20...and I find this has served me well.

cheers

As has been said, it is the level of prior knowledge that prevents a simple definition of a find. Each time I head out on my patch I have a long list of things to look for based on past records, what has been seen nearby in recent days, what I just fancy seeing etc etc. To what extent have I really found a bird when I knew it was probably there anyway? Or have I found everything I haven't seen previously?

Only way to really compare finding ability is to find a country people haven't visited before and cut the distribution maps off their fieldguides before dropping them by parachute with some knackered binoculars and a box of Mars bars...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back