• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

40D changing focus button - (Jason from Cwm, near Ebbw Vale) (1 Viewer)

onlineart

Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone can help, I've read in various places that it's a good Idea to change the auto focus button from the usual shutter to the * button, and this is done by adjusting the custom function.

I've gone through the manual but I'll be damned if I can get it to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have mine set in C.Fn IV-1
3 AE Lock/Metering +AF start.

It will take a little bit of getting used to using the AF On button but once you do you wondered how you managed before.

I have tried these settings and got them to work no problem. What I cannot my head around is what advantages there are to using a back button instead of the shutter button to focus, using this method you have to use a finger and a thumb to shoot instead of only one - to my simple mind this makes thing harder not easier, I am sure that there must be an advantage can someone please enlighten me.

I have tried these settings and got them to work no problem. What I cannot my head around is what advantages there are to using a back button instead of the shutter button to focus, using this method you have to use a finger and a thumb to shoot instead of only one - to my simple mind this makes thing harder not easier, I am sure that there must be an advantage can someone please enlighten me.

Roy,

I said the same thing when I first tried it, I persevered and now I can't go back to hit and misses with focusing. I can now activate and focus with the back button without the fear of focus going off when I touch the shutter button. I just lift the thumb once I have the range and keep thumb on if I am tracking.

Give it another go, you won't be disappointed.

The advantages will get more clear once you get acustomed to it (especially during AI-servo mode). Instead of having to rely on the camera's internal computer capabilities, for instance while shooting birds in flight, one can now seperately control the focuspart during a burst. So now you can re-focus at will without having to release the shutterbutton once you notice the focus is actually off the birds by just releasing and de-pressing the AF-on (or * when swapped) button.

Its definately somewhat more work for the photographer but gives much more control over how the camera eventually will perform.

It comes down to being able to re-focus manually during burst (if needed) without having to interrupt the burst (requires a well trained thumb though :t: ).

Personally I feel it also provides for a more steady 'hold' during regular shooting, i.e. prevents some camera-shake because now matters are controled by two fingers instead of one thus bringing more balance.

Last edited:
Hi Guys I've read this with interest and I'm going to have a go so here are a couple of questions which you'll have to forgive me for if they are stupid.

Is the new set up only for use with BIF shots?

If you are tracking a bird in flight can you lock on to it by holding down the AF-ON button or do you have to keep tapping it?

Max.

Max, the setting is not just for BIF shots and yes you keep the button pressed if you want to track, just the same as on the shutter button. What I like is I can decide when to focus and if it needs focusing.

I set to option 3 - AE Lock/Metering +AF start and gave it a try this afternoon on my local estuary where there are plenty of flyer's. Must admit it seemed very natural to me and I got used to it almost right away, seemed to be able to track flyer's a bit better.
Thanks for the tip folks, The 40D just gets better :t::t::t:

BRILLIANT!!! I tried it out and it worked fine - Thanks everyone.

Now I just need plenty of practice. Ha.....

Really appreciated the help

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Wanted to try the new settings out today but several inches of snow fell here overnight.

One last query.Whats the difference between C.Fn1V-1 Options 2 and 3 ?

Max.

Just tried this and it's much more intuitive. Also makes up for the lack of an AF button on the battery grip. The * button now supplies this function when using the camera on its side.

Had a go today and I am impressed.Wasn't able to have a go at a BIF shot as nothing suitable was about at my local patch.

I think with practice I might get a lot of benefit from this.Thanks guys.

Max.

I have now changed to Option 2 which just passes AF control to the button and half pressing the shutter does not lock the exposure.
I use the 'C' buttons on the 40D Dial for different exposure's (C1 = 0 ev, C2 = ev +1 and C3 = ev +2) this way I can instantly change the exposure.
I find this works best for me. I have had some really nice results since changing the AF to the back button (I almost always use AI servo).

I have now changed to Option 2 which just passes AF control to the button and half pressing the shutter does not lock the exposure.
I use the 'C' buttons on the 40D Dial for different exposure's (C1 = 0 ev, C2 = ev +1 and C3 = ev +2) this way I can instantly change the exposure.
I find this works best for me. I have had some really nice results since changing the AF to the back button (I almost always use AI servo).

I'm happy for you Roy, really I am, but your post does little to explain why I am getting blurring. I dont get any using the conventional method!

I'm happy for you Roy, really I am, but your post does little to explain why I am getting blurring. I dont get any using the conventional method!
Sorry Ian but I was not replying to your problem when I posted. Not sure what your problem could be - are you using 1 shot or AI servo?. Could it be the coordination between your thumb on the AF and the finger on the shutter button.

Sorry Ian but I was not replying to your problem when I posted. Not sure what your problem could be - are you using 1 shot or AI servo?. Could it be the coordination between your thumb on the AF and the finger on the shutter button.

My finger and thumb are in perfect working order......thank you very much!!:eek!:

Cannot remember if I was using 1 shot or AI servo though!....What difference would this make to the 'blurring?....and would IS have any effect, Roy?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back