• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

52mm NL Pure release date estimate? (3 Viewers)

Hello, I was reading the thread below and I surprised to see that it seems likely that Swarovski will come out with a 52mm NL pure in 10x and 12x. That's awesome if they do, I would definitely buy them. I mostly do astronomy, so the larger objectives would be great.

If they really were going to release 52mm NLs this summer, does anyone know or have a guess when they might actually do it? Would it just be like some random weekday and they would show up on their website? Or would they announce it at a big conference like BridFair? I see all the big optics companies including Swarovski are listed as exhibitors there

I have no idea how optics product releases work. I know TV manufacturers always release their new TV models at CES every year. Is BirdFair like CES for optics? Thanks for any ideas.

We can't be entirely sure they will be 10 and 12x (that was just one rumor), only that there will be no 8x, and all we know is "summer" which is quite soon now. These NLs will have to be amazing to improve on EL 50, or SLC 56... what are you using now? (There are great closeout deals on EL 50.)

We can't be entirely sure they will be 10 and 12x (that was just one rumor), only that there will be no 8x, and all we know is "summer" which is quite soon now. These NLs will have to be amazing to improve on EL 50, or SLC 56... what are you using now? (There are great closeout deals on EL 50.)
I currently have an 8x42 NL and a 12x42 NL. I also have a 8x32 conquest HD as smaller less expensive option. Last week I tried a 10x56 SLC and I was about to keep it for the 5.6mm exit pupil, but then I saw on here that they might release a 10x52 NL so I bailed on the SLC and returned it. The FOV on NLs is way better. The SLC felt a little tight. If fact, the 12x42 NL has a wider FOV (6.5°) than the 10x SLC (6.3°).

I did see the huge discounts on the EL 50's, like $1000 off, but the FOV of the 10x50 EL (6.6°) is simmilar to the 10x SLC, so between those two I would probably keep the SLC for the bigger exit pupil. But then it would be annoying to pay full price for a SLC when the EL is on a huge discount. So I am just going to wait for the 10x52 NL and get the best of both worlds with a huge FOV and a 5.2mm exit pupil.

I would want to get a 12x52 NL too, but on the other hand, it doesn't really make sense since I already have the 12x42 NL... So for 12x I'm not sure what I would do. I would definitely prefer the 52mm objectives, but the 12x42 NL is great, so I don't really want to sell it. But it would be a little crazy to have a 12x42 NL and a 12x52 NL.

Given your complaint elsewhere of glare in NL 12x42, and expecting similar characteristics in the 52, I wonder whether you might be happier with SLC 56 after all, maybe even the 15x, which has slightly wider AFOV; 42/56 could make more sense than 42/52. There are trade-offs everywhere, it's just your choice of how to make or rationalize the decision.

I don't think it was me complaining about the glare. I haven't posted anything on BirdForum before, other than recently in these threads about 52mm NLs. I have noticed the glare, but fortunatley it doesn't really bother me.

I actually compared the 12x42 NL to a 15x56 SLC before I bought the NL. The 15x SLC defintely got a little closer in, but I found that the FOV of the NL was a more dramatic factor, so I went with the NL. I didn't get to try the SLC at night though, where the 56mm objectives might really make a difference. I wonder if they could release a 15x52 NL. Maybe not, but if they did, I would defintely be interested.

I actually compared the 12x42 NL to a 15x56 SLC before I bought the NL. The 15x SLC defintely got a little closer in, but I found that the FOV of the NL was a more dramatic factor, so I went with the NL. I didn't get to try the SLC at night though, where the 56mm objectives might really make a difference. I wonder if they could release a 15x52 NL. Maybe not, but if they did, I would defintely be interested.
It seems that the field of vision is your absolute priority and other criteria are not that important?!
Maybe you should take a look at the Banner Cloud, they have a similarly large field of view and are much cheaper, there is already a model in 12x50.

Andreas

I don't think it was me complaining about the glare.
Sorry, I mistook you for another new member starting with "h". It's good that you're not finding glare a problem; many just don't encounter it. I see that you're really smitten with NLs, so it could make sense to have 52s as well if you can avoid duplicating magnifications.
I wonder if they could release a 15x52 NL. Maybe not, but if they did, I would defintely be interested.
We'll just have to see... and what would become of the last SLCs if they did.

It seems that the field of vision is your absolute priority and other criteria are not that important?!
Maybe you should take a look at the Banner Cloud, they have a similarly large field of view and are much cheaper, there is already a model in 12x50.

Andreas
Yes FOV is very important, also flatness and sharpness to the edge, as well as brightness. I can live with some CA and a little extra size/weight. I considered Nikon WX, but I don't really like the idea of IF, and they are more than a little extra in the size/weight category.

Interesting, I had never heard of Sky Rover Optics. Maybe I should try their 2x42 wide field binoculars. It says their FOV is 30°!! The Banner Cloud 12x50 looks pretty nice as well. Do you by chance know which direction the Banner Cloud focus wheel operates? Is it "clockwise to infinity" like Sawrovski, Ziess, Nikon? Or anti-clockwise like Vortex, GPO? Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry, I mistook you for another new member starting with "h". It's good that you're not finding glare a problem; many just don't encounter it. I see that you're really smitten with NLs, so it could make sense to have 52s as well if you can avoid duplicating magnifications.

We'll just have to see... and what would become of the last SLCs if they did.
No worries, I know a lot of people do mention that glare. I definitely do see it in certain conditions, like when the sun is low, late in the afternoon, but it's not too bothersome for me. Fortunately it's not an issue at all on dark, moonless nights looking up at the stars, which is my #1 use case.

Yeah I guess we will just have to wait and see. Hopefully by "summer" they mean like early summer. Seems like that would make the most sense from a sales/demand perspective.

Last edited:
Do you by chance know which direction the Banner Cloud focus wheel operates?
It's CCW to infinity, see here: Sky Rover Banner Cloud 8x42 APO Review
I suspect this recommendation was not entirely serious, along the lines of "If FOV is all that matters to you..." which is likely not the case. Wide field is very nice and useful, but it doesn't convince everyone to buy NLs. The missing option of course is a simpler version without the flat field etc, which somehow never got built in roof-prism bins. Even Sky Rover is trying to do it all at once. (Apparently they've even reproduced the Absam ring and asymmetrical focuser.)

Wide field is very nice and useful, but it doesn't convince everyone to buy NLs. The missing option of course is a simpler version without the flat field etc, which somehow never got built in roof-prism bins. Even Sky Rover is trying to do it all at once. (Apparently they've even reproduced the Absam ring and asymmetrical focuser.)
I wonder if they even reproduced the bio-degradable armour? ggg

Hermann

...... Swarovski will come out with a 52mm NL pure in 10x and 12x

That's not what I expect, based on what I hear from my sources (well, two of the three numbers in the above quote seem correct). So as the launch date comes closer, there remains a bit of surprise potential in the system, and that's a good thing.

That's not what I expect, based on what I hear from my sources (well, two of the three numbers in the above quote seem correct). So as the launch date comes closer, there remains a bit of surprise potential in the system, and that's a good thing.
Interesting, which number looks wrong, the 12x? I could see them maybe doing 10x52mm and 15x52mm, so people would want them both for different purposes, but I'm totally guessing. I tried calling some Swarovski dealers the other day and they of course won't tell me anything, haha. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello, I was reading the thread below and I surprised to see that it seems likely that Swarovski will come out with a 52mm NL pure in 10x and 12x. That's awesome if they do, I would definitely buy them. I mostly do astronomy, so the larger objectives would be great.

If they really were going to release 52mm NLs this summer, does anyone know or have a guess when they might actually do it? Would it just be like some random weekday and they would show up on their website? Or would they announce it at a big conference like BridFair? I see all the big optics companies including Swarovski are listed as exhibitors there

I have no idea how optics product releases work. I know TV manufacturers always release their new TV models at CES every year. Is BirdFair like CES for optics? Thanks for any ideas.

I used mainly my 12x42NL for astronomy, it was outstanding especially when mounted.
Very excited to see this news, do we have prices? Gulp

I used mainly my 12x42NL for astronomy, it was outstanding especially when mounted.
Very excited to see this news, do we have prices? Gulp
I wonder if the Swarovski 12x52 NL would beat the Nikon WF 10x50 for astronomy? It would have the advantage of a bigger aperture and more magnification seeing deeper into the sky, and still have a huge FOV, which might be within 5 degrees of the 76.4 degree AFOV of the Nikon.

Priced probably around $4000 the NL 12x52 should be about $2000 less than the Nikon and I know it will be flat field and sharp to the edge like the WX. The NL 12x52 should be a great astronomy binocular and the weight should be easily hand holdable at about 42 oz. If you think about it, for astronomy the NL 12x52 would be a bargain.

Still an expensive little bugger though! Maybe wait and get one used when some rich boy gets tired of the weight and sells his. The NL 12x52 is going to be one awesome binocular! Can you imagine an NL 12x52 on a tripod for astronomy or spotting game? Wow. I have to start saving up.

Last edited:
I wonder if the Swarovski 12x52 NL would beat the Nikon WF 10x50 for astronomy? It would have the advantage of a bigger aperture and more magnification seeing deeper into the sky, and still have a huge FOV, which might be within 5 degrees of the 76.4 degree AFOV of the Nikon.

Priced probably around $4000 the NL 12x52 should be about $2000 less than the Nikon and I know it will be flat field and sharp to the edge like the WX. The NL 12x52 should be a great astronomy binocular and the weight should be easily hand holdable at about 42 oz. If you think about it, for astronomy the NL 12x52 would be a bargain.

Still an expensive little bugger though! Maybe wait and get one used when some rich boy gets tired of the weight and sells his. The NL 12x52 is going to be one awesome binocular! Can you imagine an NL 12x52 on a tripod for astronomy or spotting game? Wow. I have to start saving up.
I've used a fair few bins under the stars and the 12x42NL left the best impression for me, especially when mounted. The afov makes you feel quite immersed amongst the stars.
I have never used a WX but have read a lot of reports and opinions, it was built without limits and to be the finest astronomy binocular available.
10x is a sweet spot for astro, I'd take the WX all day.
Will be keeping an eye on CL forum, I'm sure there'll be comparisons at some point.
Id guess around £3500 for the NL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back