• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

6x32 MG Black (1 Viewer)

CharleyBird

England
I just bought one, and noticed the website says now discontinued as of January 2021.
Wondering, is there simply no market for 6x?

I just bought one, and noticed the website says now discontinued as of January 2021.
Wondering, is there simply no market for 6x?
The 8x and 10x have been discontinued as well so I don’t think it’s just down the magnification. Opticron seem to have thinned their range down quite a bit in the last year or so.
How do you find the 6x? I have the 8x32 - they seem pretty good to me for their size and they make a great pair to take along just in case I see anything I want a closer look at when I’m out cycling or fellwalking. I was wondering whether to get some of the 6x32 for a better depth of field and field of view.

Ah OK.
Bought online earlier this morning so expecting delivery next week. Have been searching some months for a steady view when the heartbeat is pounding, and this small feather-weight 6x caught my attention last night.
Are they really Made in Japan? And with a 30 year warranty?

Says Japan on the focus adjustment. I think the guarantee is parts only after the first 10 years.

Attachments

• 8x32 BGA Mg 1.JPG
    8x32 BGA Mg 1.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 113
  • 8x32 BGA Mg 2.JPG
    8x32 BGA Mg 2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 113
Thanks, that is a cute size.
At £215, 'designed and manufactured in Japan' with 'a comprehensive 30 year guarantee' seems too good to be true. But they promise a reasonable view. How will my fingers fall onto the focuser...it will be interesting.

The 8x and 10x have been discontinued as well so I don’t think it’s just down the magnification. Opticron seem to have thinned their range down quite a bit in the last year or so.
How do you find the 6x? I have the 8x32 - they seem pretty good to me for their size and they make a great pair to take along just in case I see anything I want a closer look at when I’m out cycling or fellwalking. I was wondering whether to get some of the 6x32 for a better depth of field and field of view.

The 6x32 are very pleasing. First impression:
I like the body which seems well built and fits into my hands, little finger over the end of the barrel and middle/ring finger on the focuser that works well. The objective covers feel good and fit perfectly. However the plasticky ocular covers feel a bit stiff & cheap when attaching but are still effective, as are the ER & diopter adjustments.
Once set up with the ocular adjustment necesssarily fully out, I found the best position to be under my eyebrows in a position slightly further away from my eyes than the rest of my binoculars (which can generally sit more snugly when adjusted - I don't wear glasses). Works for me perfectly fine.
They have strap fittings reminiscent of old-school camera metal lug-rings, that would eventually mark the camera body (modern camera lugs protrude so the ring doesn't touch the camera body). They're like thin black paperclips that swing on the lug. I may remove them as shall probably never fit the strap.

All in all, though, they get the thumbs up, very nice, as importantly is the pleasant 6x view.
I've sat looking out the window at our bird feeders because it's been snowing all day.

Just a quick update. The 6x32 is planned to return later in the year but demand for the 8x32 and 10x32 has been much lower since the arrival of the Traveller BGA ED models.

Will keep you posted on when the new version of the 6x is expected.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Just a quick update. The 6x32 is planned to return later in the year but demand for the 8x32 and 10x32 has been much lower since the arrival of the Traveller BGA ED models.

HTH

Cheers, Pete
Thanks - is that likely to be a similar format to the BGA Mg or more akin to the Traveller ED? I was also contemplating the Savanna 6x30 (or similar) as an alternative but a Porro would not be so good for very short ranges and close focus on butterflies and the like.

Last edited:
Indeed Pete, not sure if you're implying a return of the 6x32 as it was or as a refreshed or different model? A 6x30 at the quality level of the Traveler BGA ED and with an improved FOV over the MG would be a lovely bin!

I've used these 6x32 outside a few times now and would add the following, but remembering they cost £215.

The hinge could do with being a little stiffer, it moves too easily, especially if you are keeping them in your pocket.
I'll reiterate that the pull-out ocular is plasticky, and the dioptre adjusment has a cheap indistinct feel. Of course you don't need to keep moving these parts, the binocular is so small you can leave them ready for use. The view is pleasant enough.

The most difficult thing for me is getting a consistantly comfortable eye position. This despite the 5mm plus exit pupil.

Best position for me, and I don't wear glasses, is under but touching my eyebrow quite far from my eye, rather than snugly further into my eye-socket. This unfortunately allows for more movement of the binocular, and in the field makes the correct eye point more difficult to maintain, with some annoying minor edge-blackouts. I may learn to instinctively hold the correct point.

However there is a considerable gap around the ocular for side-sunlight to interfere with use. Which means on a sunny day like today, I need to use one hand to shield my eye on the sunny side while the other hand focuses, swapping as necessary. This I did not like. Maybe it's just my facial characteristics that make them trickier to use, but caveat emptor. These really need fold up eyeguards like the Steiner XP/Discovery.

I'm keeping them as they'll be a nice glove-box binocular for occasional use. Meanwhile, fingers crossed, looking forward to Opticron producing a 6x ED, twist up ocular version, with better build and fitting for me.

I had to get the hinge tightened up on my 8x32s.
Not had any problems with the oculars or dioptre - but then I wear glasses and don’t need to adjust them.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Any news regarding the Opticron 6x32 ?

After half a year of ownership, I have to say the discontinued version are fun to use.
Rather than being consigned to the car glove-box, they have become my carry-everywhere worry-free binocular; they're so light & so small for x32, generally decent build, and have over 6mm exit pupil.

True, the image while good is never going to shine like my other compact, the x32 Leica UV+, yet caveats of central hinge/ocular pull/eye position notwithstanding, the Opticron 6x are such a likeable, easy binocular for general use.

Here's hoping

It's been hard keeping supply of existing models up to speed so a number of new model developments have been pushed out.

Will keep you posted once we have some idea of timelines.

Cheers, Pete
It's been ten months, perhaps production and supply may be resembling pre-pandemic conditions?

Have Opticron any plans to update their Traveller BGA Mg 6x32 roofs?

HTH

Cheers, Pete
Hi Pete!
Any news about the 6x32 Traveller? It seems like a very compact and good binocular. I wish and hope the FOV is wider in future upgrades of the model though.
Sincerely
Persson

Since I posted about a possible reboot, we've had a number of product line challenges to address and unfortunately, right now, this looks unlikely to happen anytime soon. Sorry to disappoint.

Cheers, Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back