• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7x26´s old vs new (1 Viewer)

I make it 43.5 at the thickest point on the housing. At my IPD (63mm), base to hinge, highest point about 60mm.

David

Last edited:
CJ,

I'm pretty sure some of the members here have both old Custom and new Elite versions and could give you a definitive answer. Going by the photo alone I would suggest that they would be pretty much identical on length, width and thickness. However, when focussed at infinity I think the old objectives retract making them a few mm shorter than the housing on the Elite. I would guess the cutaway for the objectives on the older model they are likely to feel smaller in the hand.

David

The optical and mechanical "guts" of the old and new 7x26 are the same size, but the housing of the newer models is more bulky than the old. Overall, they are basically the same size, but if you are packing stuff in a situation where every cubic centimeter counts (like into a little side pocket in a camera bag), I find the old style to be noticeably smaller. The old style also focuses substantially closer, so it is a better choice for butterflying, though the focus is counter-clockwise to infinity. The coatings on the newer models are somewhat better than even the latest production old style. Personally, I'm a fan of the older version for its close focus and bare-bones design.

--AP

There are basically 3 styles of 7x26 Customs that have been produced thru the years.

Style #1 - was produced up until 1993 by both Bushnell and Bausch & Lomb. It is the style as shown in your pics and had the metal body covered by a pebbled leather like material, and the objective tubes moved in and out of the body. They were not multicoated. Most of these binos have a fairly loose focus knob, so if you stand them on the occular cups the objective tubes will spin up into the body due to the weight.

Style #2 - was produced by B&L from 1994-2004 (model 61-0726) and by Bushnell from 2004 - 2007 (model 12-0726). It had the black polycarb body shell with rubber armoring and the objectives focus inside the body shell. They were fully multicoated and had fold down rubber eyecups and close focus is about 7 feet. They were generally marked as Birding Series. There is some debate as to whether they were fully multicoated when first introduced in 1994. When I spoke with Bushnell many months ago about the model # marking of the 2004 model they claimed there were two additional coatings added from the previous pre 2004 B&L model. I could see a slight difference in the coating colors in my pre 2004 B&L and post 2004 Bushnell.

Style #3 is the current model of the 7x26 Bushnell Custom Elite with the slightly larger and blockier body and twist up eyecups.

The smallest is #1 and the largest is #3. My own personal preference is Style #2, with the B&L's being much easier to find than the Bushnells.

For some reason I can't post my pics of my style#2, so I have included a link so you can see a pic of what they look like.
http://www.bushnell-binoculars.com/bushnell-7x26mm-custom-binoculars-12-0726-120726.shtml

Hope this helps

Tom

The old 6x25 & 7x26 are in the same housing and the pebble grain leather like covering was gray whereas some of the last made were black. The 6x25 was only made in style #1. The only real difference size wise is that style #2 enclosed the objective tubes inside the polycarb housing, thus making them a little more water and dust resistant.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back