• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old D80 new lenses or replace? (1 Viewer)

bdaabat

United States
BTW: I happen to have an old Nikon D80 available. Would it make sense to find some additional lenses for this camera (which, while old is reasonably capable)? If so, which ones? Or, would it make more sense to start new (gulp) with more modern, capable kit?

Thanks!
Bruce

Apologies! This was a second post from the introduction page. One of the mods moved it here.

More background: I'm a newb to birding and an absolute novice at photography. The D80 was purchased in 2007 to try to grab images of my then reasonably fast moving 8 year old while he was playing baseball and football. This was NOT "photography"! I just left everything on auto and tried to be in a place where I could snap images whenever there was movement. Once he got older and less involved in sports, I got older and stopped lugging around camera gear...I have relied solely on my phone for the past 6 or so years.

Birding is a new thing for me. After retiring, I have had more time to explore our area. We've been to Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge a few times in the past couple months. It's been amazing to be able to see some of the migrating birds that stop there (as well as some of the natives)! I'd love to be able to capture some of those images. Have tried a couple different adapters to use the phone camera to connect to binoculars. Unfortunately, the adapters I've tried have not worked well. That frustration led me here.

I'd appreciate suggestions/advice/whatever you might be willing to share!

Thank you in advance!

Bruce

I am not a nikon shooter, however, some general advice. You sound like this is something really new, and in that situation I would not go for the absolute newest and greatest. Instead, I would try to find a second hand lens for your current camera which could then show you in practical terms if photography is something you want to be into for the long term. You can spend a lot of money on the latest and greatest and I feel you should not start with doing that.

With a camera like yours, you will likely need at least 400 mm at the long end of your lens. Specific models to recommend? I will leave that to those who do shoot nikon.
Niels

Thanks Niels! Seems like a reasonable approach.

BTW: I've been checking prices for used lenses. To me, it's telling that some of the older, used lenses are still fairly costly. Suggests that there are many folks who still value the gear.

Am also planning to rent a long lens for our next adventure. Thought that would be a more measured way to see if this is something that I'll want to do consistently enough to make a purchase worthwhile.

Bruce

An alternative could be to look at the market for superzooms. Several threads in birdforum discussing those

BTW: I happen to have an old Nikon D80 available. Would it make sense to find some additional lenses for this camera (which, while old is reasonably capable)? If so, which ones? Or, would it make more sense to start new (gulp) with more modern, capable kit?

Thanks!
Bruce
Hi bdaabat, Your camera is woefully outdated, as you know. The biggest changes/improvements will be in autofocus for birds. With the movement to the newest mirrorless technology, second hand DSLRs are cheap as many are selling and changing over. If you decide to update the body look for a D7200,D7500, or even a D500 which is still a great camera. I would recommend one of the 150-600 zooms from either Tamron or Sigma. I have Tamron and imo their G2, second generation, is a better choice than the Sigma as the Sigma is much heavier. The first generation of either are comparable and will be cheaper. You could buy one of those with a Nikon mount and try it on your D80 until you are ready to upgrade the body. Good luck!

Dang you Old! Now I'm drooling over D7500 specs!

That led me to check out some other options as well....and now am wondering about a D5600 as a way of cutting weight while improving performance of my existing camera.

I still need better glass to get bird images.

Sigh. First world problems!
Bruce

Dang you Old! Now I'm drooling over D7500 specs!

That led me to check out some other options as well....and now am wondering about a D5600 as a way of cutting weight while improving performance of my existing camera.

I still need better glass to get bird images.

Sigh. First world problems!
Bruce
I wouldn't bother with the D5600. You're on a better course with the D7500. I don't know what the weight difference is but I've never found any of the DSLRs weight to be an issue. The 150-600 may be depending on your physical ability. I'm 68, in pretty good shape, and I have no problem carrying a D500 w/ 150-600 for long periods. If you have money to spend look at the 300 or 500 PF lenses. Much smaller/lighter, and IQ can handle a TC with good results.

If we are truly talking completely new setup, then do not forget that other brands do exist.
Niels

If we are truly talking completely new setup, then do not forget that other brands do exist.
Niels
The big 3 , Nikon, Cannon, Sony. I won't argue for one or the other. They all have their +-, all are great! He's already a Nikon shooter so a little bit easier to continue in that vein. I'm a Nikon shooter so what I know is Nikon. I've recently invested in a Z8 and Z180-600. I still have my D500s and Tamron 150-600. Once you invest in a system, it makes sense to continue, unless money is not an object.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back