• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

80-400mm update this week? (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the pics, Les.
Looks like a good lens.
What does it handle / feel like.
It is a bit on the heavy side, but guess that's due to the sue of a lot of good glass.

Hor Kee
I'm afraid I don't use VR at the moment as I prefer to use shutter speeds . In the next couple of days I will give it a go just to see.
Pasquier
It's fatter and about same length though the hood is much longer than my 300 f4 .I haven't had problems handling it so far .
Another from today which tells me I will get good pics if I get close enough !

Attachments

• _DSC1164a.jpg
    _DSC1164a.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 233
Price drop is significant

Shame none of the high res links work. He seems to overlook the extra length and weight of the new lens. It's the £2,500 price that cripples it for me. If the D400 ever show up, they would make a great combination otherwise I'll seriously consider the Canon 7D2 and new 100-400mm.

Just bought mine from Mathers of Lancashire for £1999
It's really quite light when compared to what I normally carry.

Not sure if anyone has both yet but I'd be really interested in seeing a static test - something like the 80-400mm at 300mm and 400mm against the 300mm f4 - ideally taken with same settings, same camera static subject and then cropped [from the 400mm] to the same image size - don't want much do I :) It's just that I'm consdiering both lenses but generally avoid zooms as I don't get on with the quality. I did have the original 80-400 and couldn't cope with the focusing speed - which I believe is vastly better on the new one. Thanks in anticipation if anyone is minded to assist!

Just bought mine from Mathers of Lancashire for £1999
It's really quite light when compared to what I normally carry.

That's a good price, is it UK or grey import? I forgot about Mathers.

My 80-400 old version manages fast jets very well on a D300, focusing speed was never a problem.

Mine was from mathers too .I believe they're uk but lenses are always international guarantees anyway .
Pitvar
I still have both lens so will try to do a test.

Mine was from mathers too .I believe they're uk but lenses are always international guarantees anyway .
Pitvar
I still have both lens so will try to do a test.

Thanks very much Les - would be very interested as my 300mm f2.8 is too much to take on family holidays etc so looking for a good quality compromise!

Not sure if anyone has both yet but I'd be really interested in seeing a static test - something like the 80-400mm at 300mm and 400mm against the 300mm f4 - ideally taken with same settings, same camera static subject and then cropped [from the 400mm] to the same image size - don't want much do I :) It's just that I'm consdiering both lenses but generally avoid zooms as I don't get on with the quality. I did have the original 80-400 and couldn't cope with the focusing speed - which I believe is vastly better on the new one. Thanks in anticipation if anyone is minded to assist!

Here you go.

http://www.cjcphoto.net/lenstests/80-400afs/index.html

Teleconverters always adversely impact IQ. From what I've seen, the new 80-400mm is just as sharp as the bare 300mm f4 at the long 400mm end, and improves slightly when stopped down to f/8. Typical characteristic of this lens class, but impressive results nonetheless. Have you tried a VR efficacy test?

It's an impressive lens, no doubt. But there a many ways to get to 400mm-560mm F5.6-F8 that can yield equally impressive IQ at half the cost.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back