• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x20 IS vs. 8x30 (1 Viewer)

Pepitogrillo

Andorra
Hello,
I currently use a Canon IS 12x36 II that is already a few years old, but it works well, although I am looking for a smaller 8x30 or 8x32 model and that magnification, 8x, that allows me to keep it stable without having stabilization, and take it on my daily walks, I find the Canon heavy for these purposes.
I don't know if the Canon 8x20 IS could compare well both in size and weight and in optical quality to a good 8x30, such as the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 or similar... I don't know if any of you could advise me on this.
Thank you
PG.

I don't care for the view through any 10x I've tried because of too much shake - I am not a shaky person but I like to linger in my gaze and appreciate a relaxed, still image. I find that 8x30 and 8x32, even one 8x25, are comfortable to use and I wouldn't consider using a heavy 8x with IS. I do, however, prefer the largest exit pupil I can get, so 8x32 is my preference among those options, again for relaxed view.

I have both the 12x36 IS III and the small 8x20 IS and have compared the 8x20 IS agains both the 10x30 IS II and 12x36 IS III as well as other nice 8x32. I wrote about it here: Product Review: Canon IS 8 x 20 I think you saw that and we had an exchange of impressions.
My take is that:
  • The 8x20 IS shows more detail than a top of the range like the 8x32 EL Swarovision (once one of the best 8x32 around). It's a revelation. When you compare them for resolution is an eye opener. How can a cheap plasticky 8x20 outresolve a mighty beast with incredible optical technology in terms of design, coatings and build quality.
  • Given that IS basically takes away shaking, there's not a lot of difference between an IS 8x, 10x or 12x. So, although the humble 8x20 outresolves any handheld non-IS 8x32, I see no reason not to go 10x. I found the eye position and comfort on the 8x20 OK, although I think I prefer the larger 10x and especially 12x, because they really take advantage of all IS can do.

As for weight an size, check the link above for some pictures and impressions. I hope that helps. Personally, after a lot of deliberation, I'm going to keep only the 12x36, because it's the one I use the most.

The Nikon 10x25 Stabilized is remarkably small and light for IS/VR bins. Japan-only for now but readily available, e.g. on eBay. Only caveat is it eats CR2 batteries for breakfast, lunch and dinner, depleting them even when not in use.

I am looking for a smaller 8x30 or 8x32 model and that magnification, 8x, that allows me to keep it stable without having stabilization, and take it on my daily walks, I find the Canon heavy for these purposes.
I do prefer even lower magnification. Like a 7x, 6.5x or 6x. "Daily walks" sounds like a good reason to buy something like a Kowa BDII 6.5x32 or a Papilio II.
I also like the APM 6x30. Too bad that it looks like the lower magnifications are going out of fashion. But how about a Curio 7x21? The cheapest Swaro but I have read nothing but praise about the optics. In fact I am considering getting one myself.

thanks for the opinions, the idea was to take a smaller and lighter binocular for walks and informal daily walks, than the one I usually use but without losing quality, that's why I thought of an 8x20 or an 8x30... but that idea of the 7x also It could fit me... maybe the 10x30 is similar to the 12x36 that I use...

Highly recommend the Monarch M7 8x, the Curios are superb though, such a view! The M7 is also excellent on the night sky if you like a bit of astronomy. Returned the Canon 12x36, Kowas 6x 8x are both great as budget options.
Day and night - Monarchs, daytime only - Curios (they still give a pleasing view of the stars, better than the ultravids) day and night budget option - Kowas.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back