• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42 Zeiss Terra ED vs Nikon Monarch 7 - detailed comparison from an Optical Engineer (1 Viewer)

MarinerBlue

First off, this is my first post on this forum, so nice to meet you all!

I ended up choosing between these to pairs. While I'm new to birding, I'm an Optical Engineer who used to sell optical components, so I have some familiarity on the manufacturing side of this industry. That being said, it's been over half a decade since I was in that industry and have now switched careers to the medical field.

I purchased a pair of each and used them on my back porch, looking at birds on sunny and cloudy days. I also used them on the coast on a sunny day where I was able to observe harlequin ducks, red breasted mergansers, and some bald eagles. Here is my review:

1) Fit and finish - Both have a rubberized compound and both are waterproof.
Pluses of the Zeiss Terra ED 8x42:
- more "modern" looking design that I preferred

Pluses of the Nikon Monarch 7 8x42
- lighter
- better end caps (the zeiss tended to fall out)
- better eye cups (they clicked into place easier).

Winner: Overall, for "fit and finish alone" I preferred the Zeiss. The look was just so much cooler that it made up for the weight/end caps/eye cups.

2) Focusing

Pluses of the Zeiss:
- quicker focus

Pluses of the Nikon:
- felt more precise (the Zeiss had a zone where when you went from focusing one way towards the other, there was this gap where there was no response in focusing for about 1/8th of a turn which was kind of annoying).

Overall, I prefered the Nikon's focusing characteristics.

3) Optical performance - When looking at optical components that go into optics like these, there are several factors that influence cost of the components
- homogeniety of the index of refraction of the glass. To reduce this, you have to use more expensive materials and anneal (or bake) the glass over time, which takes energy, which costs $$$.
- homogeniety with respect to the inclusions and bubbles in the glass (you have to mix the glass slower and longer which eats away at the tank and costs more $$$.
- glass transmission characteristics inherent to the glass material itself (more exotic materials needed to get better transmission).
- coatings (which also changes transmission characteristics)

All of the above factors will influence the characteristics of the overall system, so focusing on just one means you will be ignoring the other components, which may make up for the deficiency in one area....

So overall, when it came to optical performance, the clear trend was that the Nikon Monarch 7s had noticeably less chromatic aberration compared to the Zeiss Terra - HOWEVER - that came at a cost of richness of the colors. I'm going to break this down by setting to give you a better idea:

Day 1: Sunny skies on the back porch.
So when I would look at a common cardinal in a bush through the Terra, the feathers seemed to jump out more through the glass. I could appreciate the subtle hues of red on each feather, even see some blue sheen to the feathers that seemed so vibrant that I could reach out and tough it. The Nikons were great too, but somehow seemed slightly more subdued. The blue sheen got lost and the red feathers just looked a little more dull. However, when I would look up at an American tree sparrow on a branch, I could notice more plumage details when looking through the Nikons. The Zeiss would offer just enough chromatic aberration to confuse my eyes and be annoying.
Winner: basically even. I could be equally happy looking through both.

Day 2: Cloudy skies on the back porch.
The color advantage of the Zeiss stood out more and the chromatic aberration was less noticeable. Winner: Zeiss.

Day 3: A sunny day at the shore to view ducks. I must admit, I approached day three with a clear bias towards the Zeiss binoculars. I liked the look more, it was just more fun to go birding when I saw all these vibrant colors, and I felt that the chromatic aberration could be made up for by my trying to center the bird in the optic. I actually took both pairs out with my wife. We unanimously decided that the Nikons were a better pair to have in a nautical setting. The bright sun really amplified the chromatic aberration and the colors were super bright in both cases, the clear winner was the Nikon. The Nikons also had a wider field of view which came in handy when searching for birds that had dived down to chase after a crab or whatnot.
Winner: Nikons

4) Price - At the time of my review, I was able to find new versions of the Zeiss for $300 and $400 for the Nikon Monarch 7's

Overall thoughts: It's clear to me that both companies are playing to their strengths. If I had to take a guess to support my observations, I would suspect that Zeiss, having access to German Schott ED glass from their in house glass making operation, are using a higher spec glass that allows a hint of more light to travel through. Nikon does not have a glass manufacturing operation so I suspect it uses Chinese Chengdu Guanming glass or Japanese Ohara glass. What it does have is access to economies of scale for coatings from it's camera business. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to make up for their glass with their coatings. I actually tried to contact Zeiss and Nikon (and Vortex) customer service to see whether they could confirm where they got their glass from, but the only company that responded was Zeiss, who said that they used Schott glass, but could not promise that ALL their glass was Schott glass. Based on my experience in the industry, Schott glass was hands down the best in the business.

Final verdict: After seeing how well the Nikons performed in a coastal setting, we both ended up choosing the Nikons. Had I just gone birding in a cloudy/dark area, I would prefer the Zeiss. If I was going to focus on which was a better value, I would have gone for the Zeiss. But we live in a coastal state with tons of water, so we went with the Nikons.

I hope this review was helpful to you guys - happy birding! :t:

I ended up choosing between these to pairs. While I'm new to birding, I'm an Optical Engineer who used to sell optical components, so I have some familiarity on the manufacturing side of this industry. That being said, it's been over half a decade since I was in that industry and have now switched careers to the medical field.

I purchased a pair of each and used them on my back porch, looking at birds on sunny and cloudy days. I also used them on the coast on a sunny day where I was able to observe harlequin ducks, red breasted mergansers, and some bald eagles. Here is my review:

1) Fit and finish - Both have a rubberized compound and both are waterproof.
Pluses of the Zeiss Terra ED 8x42:
- more "modern" looking design that I preferred

Pluses of the Nikon Monarch 7 8x42
- lighter
- better end caps (the zeiss tended to fall out)
- better eye cups (they clicked into place easier).

Winner: Overall, for "fit and finish alone" I preferred the Zeiss. The look was just so much cooler that it made up for the weight/end caps/eye cups.

2) Focusing

Pluses of the Zeiss:
- quicker focus

Pluses of the Nikon:
- felt more precise (the Zeiss had a zone where when you went from focusing one way towards the other, there was this gap where there was no response in focusing for about 1/8th of a turn which was kind of annoying).

Overall, I prefered the Nikon's focusing characteristics.

3) Optical performance - When looking at optical components that go into optics like these, there are several factors that influence cost of the components
- homogeniety of the index of refraction of the glass. To reduce this, you have to use more expensive materials and anneal (or bake) the glass over time, which takes energy, which costs $$$.
- homogeniety with respect to the inclusions and bubbles in the glass (you have to mix the glass slower and longer which eats away at the tank and costs more $$$.
- glass transmission characteristics inherent to the glass material itself (more exotic materials needed to get better transmission).
- coatings (which also changes transmission characteristics)

All of the above factors will influence the characteristics of the overall system, so focusing on just one means you will be ignoring the other components, which may make up for the deficiency in one area....

So overall, when it came to optical performance, the clear trend was that the Nikon Monarch 7s had noticeably less chromatic aberration compared to the Zeiss Terra - HOWEVER - that came at a cost of richness of the colors. I'm going to break this down by setting to give you a better idea:

Day 1: Sunny skies on the back porch.
So when I would look at a common cardinal in a bush through the Terra, the feathers seemed to jump out more through the glass. I could appreciate the subtle hues of red on each feather, even see some blue sheen to the feathers that seemed so vibrant that I could reach out and tough it. The Nikons were great too, but somehow seemed slightly more subdued. The blue sheen got lost and the red feathers just looked a little more dull. However, when I would look up at an American tree sparrow on a branch, I could notice more plumage details when looking through the Nikons. The Zeiss would offer just enough chromatic aberration to confuse my eyes and be annoying.
Winner: basically even. I could be equally happy looking through both.

Day 2: Cloudy skies on the back porch.
The color advantage of the Zeiss stood out more and the chromatic aberration was less noticeable. Winner: Zeiss.

Day 3: A sunny day at the shore to view ducks. I must admit, I approached day three with a clear bias towards the Zeiss binoculars. I liked the look more, it was just more fun to go birding when I saw all these vibrant colors, and I felt that the chromatic aberration could be made up for by my trying to center the bird in the optic. I actually took both pairs out with my wife. We unanimously decided that the Nikons were a better pair to have in a nautical setting. The bright sun really amplified the chromatic aberration and the colors were super bright in both cases, the clear winner was the Nikon. The Nikons also had a wider field of view which came in handy when searching for birds that had dived down to chase after a crab or whatnot.
Winner: Nikons

4) Price - At the time of my review, I was able to find new versions of the Zeiss for $300 and $400 for the Nikon Monarch 7's

Overall thoughts: It's clear to me that both companies are playing to their strengths. If I had to take a guess to support my observations, I would suspect that Zeiss, having access to German Schott ED glass from their in house glass making operation, are using a higher spec glass that allows a hint of more light to travel through. Nikon does not have a glass manufacturing operation so I suspect it uses Chinese Chengdu Guanming glass or Japanese Ohara glass. What it does have is access to economies of scale for coatings from it's camera business. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to make up for their glass with their coatings. I actually tried to contact Zeiss and Nikon (and Vortex) customer service to see whether they could confirm where they got their glass from, but the only company that responded was Zeiss, who said that they used Schott glass, but could not promise that ALL their glass was Schott glass. Based on my experience in the industry, Schott glass was hands down the best in the business.

Final verdict: After seeing how well the Nikons performed in a coastal setting, we both ended up choosing the Nikons. Had I just gone birding in a cloudy/dark area, I would prefer the Zeiss. If I was going to focus on which was a better value, I would have gone for the Zeiss. But we live in a coastal state with tons of water, so we went with the Nikons.

Welcome to the Downeaster! You are a rare bird, indeed. My Christmas list is full of optical engineers, none of which would touch these bino forums with a ten-foot pole, and poke fun at me for doing so. My best friends among them just shake their heads.

By Marinerblue, might I assume that you're a yachter?

Bill

My Christmas list is full of optical engineers, none of which would touch these bino forums with a ten-foot pole, and poke fun at me for doing so. My best friends among them just shake their heads.

Bill

To scared, nothing to contribute, sick of optics?

I think an optical company would drive me more crazy and yet I almost worked for a Dutch Co who make machines for Intel to print their silicon wafers and seems they are very closely linked to Zeiss who are now using mirrors to resolve directed light down to under 10nm. Did seem an interesting company but apparently they didn't like me talking at interview even though they kept asking me questions although it was only for a lowly technician role not the good stuff in engineering.

Yes it's definitely best just having a day off to go out and enjoy the view.

Welcome to the Downeaster! You are a rare bird, indeed. My Christmas list is full of optical engineers, none of which would touch these bino forums with a ten-foot pole, and poke fun at me for doing so. My best friends among them just shake their heads.

By Marinerblue, might I assume that you're a yachter?

Bill

I do love sailing and go whenever I can!

Wow, that's very fascinating, thanks for sharing that about these binoculars. I do wonder if they use only their in house glass brand for all components or if they cheat for non-critical components. And even if it's their own glass, I wonder if it's melted in Japan or in China.

Back when I was in optics, I remember hearing stories of a Japanese manufacturer that opened a factory in China to take advantage of generous state electricity subsidies for key industries. The Japanese came back a year later and found that the guys running the factory in China had added a few more tanks where they were melting glass and let the Japanese know that "those are your tanks, these are ours". They apparently would then actually pour the glass from their own tanks onto straw mats on the floor and salvage the good glass.

A second factoid: the amount of glass used in Christmas tree light production actually dwarfs that used in optics.

Welcome, Mariner Blue, and thanks for that comparo. I've used both the 8x42 and 8x32 Terra ED, but have only tried the 8x30 M7.

Let me preference my comments by stating that I'm not an optical engineer nor a Navy "optical man" like Bill, and the only engineer I send a Christmas card to is an aerospace engineer I've known since Kindergarten and was best man at his wedding. I did once own a Lionel train set when I was a kid and wore a Choo Choo Charlie engineer's hat when I played with it (Good 'N Plenty, Good 'N Plenty, Good 'N Plenty, Choo-Choo!).

Despite my lack of credentials, I thought I'd offer my 2 cents since I've tried lots of binoculars over the past 15 years or so, and I've owned as many as 20 at one time back when my pockets jingled, including some high end optics (though nothing costing $2.5K like today! Nutso if you ask me). And I've made over 7,000 posts (I know it doesn't show that, don't ask), so either I'm full of hot air or I've learned a thing or two about binoculars over the past decade and a half.

1) BUILD QUALITY (replaced "fit and finish" with this more inclusive category) - The 8x42 and 8x32 Terra ED are very different in "fit and finish." Different rubber (42's rubber is thicker and dark green, 32's is thinner and light gray). The 42's body is smoother, whereas the 32 has some "character lines." The latter seems to have some function as well, helping with the grip.

I don't know if the 32 TED is made of polycarbonate, it is very lightweight, the M7 is even lighter and the body is made with polycarbonate. Though polycarbonate is actually supposed to be very strong, it doesn't feel that way. The 42 TED being heavier and made of metal feels much more solid in the hand and is more likely to survive getting run over by a reindeer (unlike Grandma).

I liked the flip-up covers on both 32s, the 42s kept falling off, as did the 42's rainguard, which I still haven't found.

2) ERGOS. Overall, I preferred the ergos of the 32 model. I especially like the way I could wrap my fingers around the barrels. The Nikon 8x32's barrels are slimmer and longer than the 32 TED, with even more space to wrap your fingers around, but the skinnier barrels don't provide as much stability as the TED for my hands.

Both 32s are very lightweight, the 42 is on the heavy side. Without thumb supports, the weight felt even more than it was.

WINNER (Ergos): 8x32 TED. Second Place: 8x30 M7. Fifth Place: 8x42 TED (yeah, I know there's no third and fourth, but to emphasize it was a distant third). I just couldn't get comfortable with holding it.

3) FOCUSING. The three roofs are all different in terms of their stiction and speed of focusing. The 8x42 TED focused WAY TOO FAST for my tastes (3/4 turn from cf to infinity). I kept overshooting targets. Thought I would adjust to it, but even after months of use, I still had difficulties and resigned myself to using the 42 TED for distance observing and watching BOP, for which it excelled. I compared the 42 TED side by side with a Nikon 8x32 SE, and I actually liked the 42 TED better for BOP, chiefly because of the better CA control against a high contrast sky, but also because the heavier weight kept those bad vibration a' happenin' with her.

The 8x32 TED's focuser is also fast, but primarily due to lack of stiction rather than a fast gear ratio like its bigger sibling. Focusing is about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 from cf "to infinity and beyond!" If the stiction on the 32 had been the same as the 42, this would have been perfect but since it was a bit loosey goosey, I had to keep my index finger brushed up against the focuser to add stiction.

Baby bear, or as it's better known, the 8x30 M7, focused "just right." Not too fast, not too slow.

WINNER (for focusing): I agree with Submariner - 8x30 M7. Third Place: 8x32 TED. Eleventh Place: 8x42 TED (back to the drawing board, Zeiss engineers if you want to sell to more than just millennials).

4) OPTICAL PERFORMANCE - Speaking of homogeneity, or lack of, the cream that rose to the top was the 8x32 TED. I really liked the 8x30 M7, particularly the wider FOV 8.2* vs. 7.5* for the TED), but the fuzziness at the edges was distracting while panning whereas the 8x32 TED (at least this sample) was sharp nearly to the edge. So while the FOV wasn't as wide the FOV in focus was nearly as big, and the FOV was wider than the 42 model.

Color-wise, the two TEDs were similar but not identical. Looking at the reflections off the lenses, the 42 reflected a dark green, the 32 a lime green. Contrast seemed a bit better with the 42 model.

The M7 was typical of Nikon optics, with a reddish bias, making the image warmer than the TEDs. All the roofs provided crisp images in the centerfield with no complaints. For the price point, roofs have come a long way, baby. I remember taking a look through my first roof prism binoculars, the Japanese-made Nikon 8x36 Sporter 1. Flaring was pretty bad and the image was not as sharp as my porros. If this is what roofs are like, you can have them! The build quality was very good, better than what you can buy now for the price from China, but the lack of phase coatings and FMCs made them optically inferior to my Japanese-made Swift 8x42 Ultralite porro.

Combine the sharp edges of the 32 TED with the warmer color emphasis of the Nikon's AR coatings, and I'd have the best of both worlds.

Steve (mooreless) and I did a non-boosted comparison of the two TEDs using a resolution chart, and the 42 slightly out resolved the 32 to his eyes. To my eyes, which are not as good as his, and he wears glasses, it was a dead heat; however, when using the bins in the field, the 32 always seemed sharper because the focus was more precise. With the 42, I was always "hunting" for fine focus and overshooting. For distance viewing, I give the nod to the 42 model, but since I do more close-in birding, the 8x32 TED was more pleasurable to use.

WINNER (in overall image): 8x32 TED. Second Place: 8x30 M7. Third Place: 8x42 TED.

5) Flare control. This is something important to me, particularly in the winter when the sun hangs low (next week, the lowest for the year), so I felt it needed to be added as a category. After all, no matter how nice the image, if you can't see it because of veiling glare except if you are viewing from a shaded area, what's the point?

Despite the criticism leveled at the 8x30 M7 for having bad "veiling glare," the sample I used controlled flare well. I had to point it close to the sun to see any flare, however, there was a defect in the early models with some unpainted surfaces on some samples, so that will vary from sample to sample.

The 8x42 model handled flare well. No issues there. The 8x32 not as quite as well, but still pretty good, I wouldn't reject it for flare issues.

Winner (for flare control): 8x42 TED. Second Place: Tie with the 32 TED and M7.

CONCLUSION: If someone put a gun to my head and said, "Sophie, make a choice," keep one, I'd probably go with the 8x32 TED, at least if I could get a sample with as wide a sweet spot as the one I tried.

But due to the lack of stiction, if I didn't have a gun to my head, I probably wouldn't buy the 32 TED. In truth, I've yet to meet a mid-priced roof I would take home with me. They've all had some fatal flaw. Getting some things right, but other things wrong, at least for me.

As my grandmother (who didn't get run over by a reindeer) used to say: I've got "champagne taste with a Coca-Cola bank account."

That's why I like the Nikon 8x30 EII -- top o' the line image without the top o' the line price. When I'm back on top, back on top in June, I'll probably buy an EII again rather than go with one of the new mid-priced roofs even though I do like ED glass. They always seem to have some "fatal flaw" and the QC is spotty.

Blue Meanie

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for that reply brocknroller/Blue Meanie, I really didn't mean to imply somehow being into optics was somehow a qualification that mattered - Looking at it now, it seems almost arrogant to even mention it. Sorry. I think I was just overcome with excitement about finding a forum where people care about optics - I had never previously experienced that before... So by all means, thanks for sharing your input.

And thanks for touching base regarding flare control. I would add to my previous post that the Zeiss had waaay better flare control vs. the Nikon, which I think is reflected (ha ha, pun intended!) in previous reviews posted on this forum.

Wow, thanks for that reply brocknroller/Blue Meanie, I really didn't mean to imply somehow being into optics was somehow a qualification that mattered - Looking at it now, it seems almost arrogant to even mention it. Sorry. I think I was just overcome with excitement about finding a forum where people care about optics - I had never previously experienced that before... So by all means, thanks for sharing your input.

And thanks for touching base regarding flare control. I would add to my previous post that the Zeiss had waaay better flare control vs. the Nikon, which I think is reflected (ha ha, pun intended!) in previous reviews posted on this forum.

I didn't think you were bragging (like Bill, who's so full of himself, it's coming out his ears ;)), I just felt that I had to qualify my review by stating that I was strictly an amateur when it comes to optics so don't expect MTF curves, resolution numbers, and such, just two eyeballs, two hands, and a brain passing judgement. I think that's okay, though, because much of what users like about binoculars is subjective. If there were one pair of binoculars at each price point that was "the best" for everyone (some people try to convince us there is), then everybody would be buying those binoculars, and the other companies would be out of business. But given the human interface of binoculars, and people's different preferences, there's lots of room for opinions.

Brock

I didn't think you were bragging (like Bill, who's so full of himself, it's coming out his ears ;)), I just felt that I had to qualify my review by stating that I was strictly an amateur when it comes to optics so don't expect MTF curves, resolution numbers, and such, just two eyeballs, two hands, and a brain passing judgement. I think that's okay, though, because much of what users like about binoculars is subjective. If there were one pair of binoculars at each price point that was "the best" for everyone (some people try to convince us there is), then everybody would be buying those binoculars, and the other companies would be out of business. But given the human interface of binoculars, and people's different preferences, there's lots of room for opinions.

Brock

Remember Brock: People who think they know everything are especially annoying to those of us . . . who do! :t: :cat:

Bill

Trust me, it's hell having wikipedia call me all the time.

And just last week, I had to tell CNN to leave me alone. I feel your pain! You know, I once thought I was conceited. But then, I realized: conceit is a fault . . . and I don't have any! :cat:

Bill

Brock - Regarding your comment about Bill (full of himself), perhaps BF has a budget for sending people to charm school, which could include many of us.

Bill the navy guy, as I like to call him, has added to BF in a special way, viz., he helps keep many of us reality bound as we share our understandings and experiences about binoculars. He speaks from a level of experience few possess.

My meanderings about Buffalo High are intended for only one purpose - to add some levity to a forum which occasionally becomes droll. I guess any reference to Wikepedia needs to be explained. They contact me once in a while, but only to ask for money, never for information. But I never feel slighted because of that.

Actually, we few graduates of Buffalo High (It closed in 1961), ate the humble pie all the time. It prepared us to remain stable in a crazy world.
And the diploma given us had an ultimate purpose - to help to try cover our intellectual nakedness.

During that period my sole optics possession was a 7x35 Bushnell monocular which gave me the sense that I was on Mount Palomar looking through a 200 inch telescope. That monocular cost me $29.00, and I treasured it.

There is a boating website called C-Dory.Com. which serves a large boating audience on the west coast. Thousands of people use it. Free. But it has only one rule - Be kind. And it works. It should work for BF, too.

John

I ended up choosing between these t[w]o pairs.

[...]

Final verdict: After seeing how well the Nikons performed in a coastal setting, we both ended up choosing the Nikons. Had I just gone birding in a cloudy/dark area, I would prefer the Zeiss. If I was going to focus on which was a better value, I would have gone for the Zeiss[my emphasis]. But we live in a coastal state with tons of water, so we went with the Nikons.

Hello there, and welcome! Thanks for posting this. I also arrived here researching binoculars, and also ended up considering the Zeiss Terras and Nikon Monarch 7s in 8x42. I ended up deciding the other way from you, but after many similar considerations. My exercise was little more fraught, however, given that I had to do it as a purely paper evaluation because of cost considerations involved with shipping things all the way down here and the egregious cost of buying locally.

My personal preference was to privilege flare control over CA, and go with more saturated colours - aspects I picked up on while obsessively researching. But the real kicker was cost - for the price of the Monarch 7s I could pick up both the Terras and a more compact set of bins for "convenience use" while still remaining within my budget. I might have decided on the Monarch 7s, though, if it weren't for that price difference. Additional advantages to the Nikon would have included it's wider field of view and my previous good experience with Nikon products, including binoculars. But then there was the price...

Different people, different priorities, and different preferences really do matter. I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with your choice as I am with mine.

...Mike

Last edited:
MarinerBlue,

Thanks for the interesting comparison. As you will have gathered from the responses we all have different priorities. The Terra and M7 8x42s are models I've tried many times and while there are pros and cons on a number of features I didn't find either satisfactory for their respective prices. With the Nikon it was optical design and the Zeiss optical quality that particularly disappointed, but you will find quite different opinions here.

The Nikon M7 x30s are a rather better binocular than the x42 IMO but they are made by an entirely different company.

I would be very surprised if even Zeiss used Schott glass exclusively, even in their top models. The designers will specify the best glass for the job. For instance O'Hara and particularly Hoya have ED glasses with much better Vd values than Schott does. The numerous Chinese glass makers produce a vast range of glasses including several EDs with different prices and specifications. Their cheapest fluorophosphate glasses explain how you can get an ED binocular for under $200. You will probably have to pay several times that for one with Hoya FCD100.

David

Hello there, and welcome! Thanks for posting this. I also arrived here researching binoculars, and also ended up considering the Zeiss Terras and Nikon Monarch 7s in 8x42. I ended up deciding the other way from you, but after many similar considerations. My exercise was little more fraught, however, given that I had to do it as a purely paper evaluation because of cost considerations involved with shipping things all the way down here and the egregious cost of buying locally.

My personal preference was to privilege flare control over CA, and go with more saturated colours - aspects I picked up on while obsessively researching. But the real kicker was cost - for the price of the Monarch 7s I could pick up both the Terras and a more compact set of bins for "convenience use" while still remaining within my budget. I might have decided on the Monarch 7s, though, if it weren't for that price difference. Additional advantages to the Nikon would have included it's wider field of view and my previous good experience with Nikon products, including binoculars. But then there was the price...

Different people, different priorities, and different preferences really do matter. I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with your choice as I am with mine.

...Mike

You know, it was another cloudy day here and just for the heck of it, I did a comparison again and the images in the Zeiss really are more vibrant. I'm so torn now.... Do I get something for the coast or for the cloudy days? Maybe I should just keep one of each for me and my wife.

You know, it was another cloudy day here and just for the heck of it, I did a comparison again and the images in the Zeiss really are more vibrant. I'm so torn now.... Do I get something for the coast or for the cloudy days? Maybe I should just keep one of each for me and my wife.

Excellent idea but I think you knew we would say that.

There's actually some name for the illness, forget what it was. Obsessive Bino Disorder or something.

It's fine, we back you all the way:t:

Yeah, one for the wife, right8-P

Goes to show how much competition there is in that range!

The fast focusing drives me nuts.
At some point, you end up going back-n-forth for best edge, and you are slower.
I remember (at the shop) wishing....if only the Terras had slower focusing.

I think the fast focus works well if you work at close range (under 80ft) and/or
your visual acuity is not the best. The Terra's focus is good, but just try finding it..

Goes to show how much competition there is in that range!

The fast focusing drives me nuts.
At some point, you end up going back-n-forth for best edge, and you are slower.
I remember (at the shop) wishing....if only the Terras had slower focusing.

I think the fast focus works well if you work at close range (under 80ft) and/or
your visual acuity is not the best. The Terra's focus is good, but just try finding it..

ON
You know what they say: Different strokes for different folks.
Which is preferable? Pumping fingers for too long due to a slow focus (and missing stuff) or missing stuff due to focus overshooting and having to correct?
Answer is we want it just perfect for ourselves...........................

The bins manufacturers must feel like they are banging their heads against brick walls as half of us shout 'faster' and the other half, 'slower'.

Lee

ON
You know what they say: Different strokes for different folks.
Which is preferable? Pumping fingers for too long due to a slow focus (and missing stuff) or missing stuff due to focus overshooting and having to correct?
Answer is we want it just perfect for ourselves...........................

The bins manufacturers must feel like they are banging their heads against brick walls as half of us shout 'faster' and the other half, 'slower'.

Lee

For me the fast focus is more of a problem in the store than the field. In the field it takes a few minutes but I adapt.

Might be an issue if you went between a slow focus and a fast focus a lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back