• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax ZD 8x43 WP (1 Viewer)

cpupton

United States
Hi all. Just received my new pair of ZD 8x43 WP's. I was initially looking at the SD 8x42 WP due to the wider FOV, but these ZD's have made me curious for a while so I thought what the heck, what not? Obviously haven't had much time with them yet, but my 1st impressions for this simpleton when looking at the robin building her nest outside my window is "WOW". Compared to my Vortex DB 10x42, the colors are crisper and much sharper and I would honestly say that about 95% is sharp with a hint of blurring in that last 5%. Im sure the narrower 6.3 degree FOV and them being an 8x43 is the reason there. I cant 100% compare to my Vortex bin's since I dont own any other 8x. The build is also nice and solid. The focusing is stiff, but not too stiff. My Vortex DB 10x50, I always thought was a little too smooth and could be a little touchy. Cant tell you how many times Ive bumped the focuser wheel with my fingers accidentally. My Vortex DB 10x42's are stiffer when focusing which I do prefer over my 10x50's.

Anyways, I think these are a keeper. The accessories are better than what came with my Pentax SP WP porro's as well. The rain guards leave a little to be desired but I do like the small case they came with. The objective covers though are attached with the tripod adapter screw which I think is a nice touch. I was also under the impression that the ZD series was made in the Philippines but it looks like these are made in Japan according to the box and the label on the underside of the binocular. It wouldn't of made a difference for me, but wanted to to share that little nugget of detail.

Again, these are 8x42's so I cant compare to anything else I own. Just wanted to share my initial impressions.

Hi Cpupton, could you please share some real life experiences with your Pentax ZD? I am very curious about field experiences concerning sharpness, colours and brightness. Are they, in your opinion, a match for let's dat Kowa Genesis as they are originally in the same price range? A retailer nearby has them on offer and I wonder whether to try them.

OK, so let me start off by saying I love these bins. I do not have a lot of experience with binoculars for daytime use and 90% of the time my binoculars are used for the nighttime sky. I picked these up to check out some birds out my window that were building a nest and my other Vortex roof pairs were showing some pretty bad veiling glare during the daytime. My trusty 10x50 Pentax porros did not, so thats how I ended up with the ZD 8x43 WP's. Ive had them on my list for a while and I didnt own any 8x binoculars so I figured nows the time. I also knew we had a trip to the Kentucky Derby coming up and I wanted a better smaller, roof prism binocular to take down there. They didnt disappoint. They are not the ED version, but I seriously wonder how much better the ED version would be because to my untrained eye, they are insanely good. I look through these and ask myself why I would even need the ED version. Honestly, if it wasnt for cost I would of gotten the ED version, but I dont know what I am missing by not having it, and I still am very happy with them.

As far as brightness, color, contrast and sharpness they are really good compared to any binocular I own. The brightness seems to be just as good as all of my 10x50's and the contrast and color I cant even compare. The Pentax ZD's best all in my binocular arsenal. The only one that comes close is my Vortex Diamondback HD 10x50. Those are really good when the sun is behind me to the side, in the shade, or at night, but that glare when the sun is in front is just not good. There is just a bit of pin cushion towards the edge when looking at a pole or a tree, but then all my binoculars have that.

I have never used the Kowa Genesis, so I cant offer any sort of comparison there. Are they in a store where you can actually try them outside if they would let you take them outside? Or if they have a good return policy where you could buy them and then if not happy, just get the return them for the Genesis?

Apologies for my very amateur "review" here. Im not very good at explaining things but Im happy to share if you have any other questions.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts! I am always looking for "very- close-to-alpha-bins" for a much power price. And I would like to add a 10x to my collection. I do own the Kowa Genesis 8,5x44 and it's a keeper. The Pentax could come from an online-shop for about €550 (ED-version). If it's good enough I even think about selling nu Swarovski :)

I know the 10X has a much narrower FOV than my 8X (they usually do) but Pentax seems to be more narrow than the norm. Not sure if thats an important factor for you or not. If you are looking at the ZD 10x43 that has a 6 degree FOV.

Hi there, I’m considering the zd ed 10x43 or the dcf equivalent but couldn’t really find an offer for the price you showed (zd ed is at 1k€ and dcf ed 700€ atm). Can you link me the offer for 550€?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back