• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A very poor breeding season for Blue/ Great Tits? (1 Viewer)

Andy Lakin

Probably just a local issue (I'm in Doncaster South Yorkshire) but there have been very few sightings of juveniles of either species both in my garden and on my local patch. Also the Blue Tits nesting in the garden seem to have failed, I couldn't see what food they were bringing in but it was very small and definitely not caterpillars as expected. Just wondering if it has been a very poor breeding season. On the other hand I was very pleased to see 17+ go through the garden the other day.

We’ve not had any problems here in Hampshire. Our blue tit nest box had 7 eggs laid and 6 fledged. There are lots of juvenile blue tits in the garden so I’m guessing there were other nests in the shrubs. We counted 15 at the feeders the other day with more lining up on the branches waiting for a turn.

2 blue tits fledged out of 8 in rural Surrey and could see on the nest-cam that food was low quality. And Great Tits abandoned efforts in north Hampshire. So def not great here despite the decent spring.

2 blue tits fledged out of 8 in rural Surrey and could see on the nest-cam that food was low quality. And Great Tits abandoned efforts in north Hampshire. So def not great here despite the decent spring.
Patchiness again because we had juvenile Great Tits being fed in the back garden in Farnborough a couple of weeks ago. They looked fit - not a big brood though.

John

A mob of juvenile Blue and Great Tits well over 20 strong was dashing around our garden first thing this morning, making sallies into neighbouring gardens and the trees in the lane. Clearly, the breeding season locally has been successful. Also, bird song has increased lately, suggestive of new broods on the way.
MJB

What I have noticed north of the Cairngorms is that a high percentage of Great / Blue and Long tailed Tits have already started their winter flocking together.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back