• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A very rare colour morph of the tropicbird (Phaethontidae) (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone. I just wanted to ask for some advice regarding a colour morph of the tropicbird I had once seen illustrated in a library book whose name I don't clearly remember. All I know, is that I remember seeing a colour illustration of a.........(I know it sounds ridiculous) a "pink morph tropicbird." On the internet I've never found any photos of such a thing, nor do I have one illustrated/photographed on a book I own at home. Does anyone know something about this please?

P.S. I know about golden morph tropicbirds.

The Christmas Island birds were designated as a separate subspecies on the basis of their unique, golden-apricot coloured plumage (cf. the white plumage of lepturus and the three other traditionally recognized subspecies of White-tailed Tropicbird) (Gibson-Hill 1950; del Hoyo et al. 1992; Johnstone & Darnell 2004a). However, it has since been shown that the golden plumage morph also occurs, albeit at a much lower ratio, in populations of lepturus, and in the three other traditionally recognized subspecies (the newly discovered Europa Island subspecies has a high frequency of golden morphs).

Hi everyone. I just wanted to ask for some advice regarding a colour morph of the tropicbird I had once seen illustrated in a library book whose name I don't clearly remember. All I know, is that I remember seeing a colour illustration of a.........(I know it sounds ridiculous) a "pink morph tropicbird." On the internet I've never found any photos of such a thing, nor do I have one illustrated/photographed on a book I own at home. Does anyone know something about this please?

P.S. I know about golden morph tropicbirds.
I have seen it… when they get mad they turn pink. I had one nest next to my front door on Midway Island by Hawaii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back