• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Achrocephalus or Sylvia borin? (1 Viewer)

Muratfaik

I took this photo (actually video grab) in September 2017, Ankara. Slate legs and general colorarion suggest S. borin but other details seems closer to achrocephalus.. opinions please. Thanks. 7D173D4C-6B0D-4404-AFCA-5479F7554C23.jpeg70DB8353-6188-4D26-B9C6-DE2EDC79B6FF.jpeg

I took this photo (actually video grab) in September 2017, Ankara. Slate legs and general colorarion suggest S. borin but other details seems closer to achrocephalus.. opinions please. Thanks. View attachment 1515614View attachment 1515615
Hi. The bill shape/ length, to me, doesn't look right for a Garden? I know I'm most probably miles out, just a suggestion, but has anyone though of an Upcher's Warbler?

I think we should compare A. s. fuscus vs S. b. woodwardi subpecies. These are eastern Europe birds and can be slightly different coloration compared to british ır european birds. Any info of bill length-shape of these birds?

Can anyone actually see a graduated tail in the first photo, or is this just a bird regrowing outer tail feathers? Also are the primaries correct for any candidate Acrocephalus? I think we can see the relative lengths and emarginations quite clearly. The bill looks very stubby for an Acro to me as well.

Here are a few Garden Warbler images with long UTC’s, short bills, lead grey legs and slightly rounded tail feathers (assumed wear and tear).

Cheers

Attachments

• P1160463 (2) Grdn.Warbler 2..jpeg
    P1160463 (2) Grdn.Warbler 2..jpeg
    936.2 KB · Views: 41
  • P2030037.jpeg    GW on fig stem.jpeg
    P2030037.jpeg GW on fig stem.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 40
  • P1930656.jpeg   A good wobbler 4..jpeg
    P1930656.jpeg A good wobbler 4..jpeg
    455.5 KB · Views: 39
  • P2290535.jpeg    Posing Grdn.Wrblr.2..jpeg
    P2290535.jpeg Posing Grdn.Wrblr.2..jpeg
    696 KB · Views: 36
  • P2290549.jpeg
    P2290549.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 36
Can anyone actually see a graduated tail in the first photo
Nope - it's impossible to do more than guess at the tail-tip-shape, though certainly it's not obviously rounded. But obviously I'd never tell someone that what they think they can see isn't actually there... ;)

well the vid kills any argument against an acro for me, even has a nice warm rusty rump, reed warbler style

quick look in literature gives a range of leg colours of grey-brown to blue-grey for Reed Warbler... (fwiw, cites marsh warbler as pale straw to greyish; Birds of Britain - Hume et al 2nd ed)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back